UKBouldering.com

Ultimate Internet (Read 267941 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#750 Re: Ultimate Internet
March 29, 2018, 11:42:15 pm
 I saw a thing on Facebook earlier which said type "i'm such a" on your phone and let your keyboard predictor do the rest. Mine came out as: I'm such a good thing to do a high volume of.
 :)

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#751 Re: Ultimate Internet
May 12, 2018, 09:53:47 am

All wad points to dunnyg for showing me this marvel.

Motown

• regular
#752 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 28, 2020, 04:13:02 pm
George III’s collection of military maps:

‘George III's collection of military maps comprises some 3,000 maps, views and prints ranging from the disposition of Charles V's armies at Vienna in 1532 to the Battle of Waterloo (1815).

https://militarymaps.rct.uk/

An incredible amount of material available. Looking at 30 year war documents after a really good In Our Time on the same subject.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#753 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 28, 2020, 04:24:30 pm
Not sure if we've had this yet, but just in case. Historic maps going back to the 1850s for the whole country. You can get lost in it for hours.
https://maps.nls.uk/

Duma

• forum hero
#754 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 28, 2020, 10:06:18 pm
That's great, thanks Will

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#755 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 29, 2020, 08:52:05 am
Not sure if we've had this yet, but just in case. Historic maps going back to the 1850s for the whole country. You can get lost in it for hours.
If you get lost in a map for hours it must be poor...

galpinos

• forum hero
#756 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 29, 2020, 09:02:36 am

I don't know whether to wad or punter you. On the one hand, it's an amazing site and I really enjoyed looking at all the old maps for where I live and tracking how it built up over time. On the other hand, I failed to finish my report last night as I was looking at maps from 1887 online and apparently, according to my manager, that is a s**t excuse.

I do now have an A2 copy of the fist map my house appears on winging it's way to me though.......

UnkArl

• player
#757 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 29, 2020, 10:22:44 am

Fantastic! The splitscreen view is really good too, you can have the modern map on one side and flick the the older ones on the other side and they both scroll/zoom together.

tomtom

• forum hero
#758 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 29, 2020, 05:36:04 pm
For those living in cities the WW2 bomb impact maps are also interesting...

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#759 Re: Ultimate Internet
January 22, 2021, 11:47:23 am
This is diverting when you're pretending to work https://www.monkeon.co.uk/guessthepress/

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#760 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 24, 2021, 05:00:11 pm
Guys does 130 pull ups in one minute, live on TV.

remus

• forum hero
#761 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 25, 2021, 08:58:42 pm
For a moment there I thought something had gone seriously wrong with the world and you'd posted this in legendary feats of strength.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#762 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 25, 2021, 10:06:25 pm
Legendary feats of micro-rep embarassment.
 ;D

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#763 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 26, 2021, 01:32:09 pm
Guys does 130 pull ups in one minute, live on TV.

I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke or not. A good example of Poe's law.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#764 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 26, 2021, 04:42:12 pm
Well, the video is obviously a piss take. The guy does lots of videos on gym people, mostly sinthol freaks, quarter reppers, ego-lifters, and so on.
Unfortunately, the TV show appears to be real.
At first, when the first guy (oh, nice gyno by the way) starts doing quarter reps, the puzzled looks on the other competitors' faces seemed to mean that they were going to do real pull ups and that the guy was going to be phagocitated by a cloud of shame.
But no.
Each subsequent guy reduces the range of motion more and more, to finally settle, with the last one, on a minimal fraction of a rep.
So, I think that it's meant to be real.
TV shows like that really make me understand that human progress as we know it has stopped years ago, and we are now regressing.
Luckily for myself, I currently live in a garage in which 100 kilos actually weigh 100 kilos, a pull up actually goes from straight arms to chin well over ther bar, and a one arm hang actually means hanging from one arm.
My numbers pale in comparison with anything worth mentioning, but my soul is pure and I can look at myself in the mirror (a thing that I do quite often) still seeing a man with a dignity.
Ląthe biņsas.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 05:03:30 pm by Nibile »

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#765 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 26, 2021, 05:19:52 pm
Was referring to TV show rather than the video with the clickbait title, I have long since given up trying to work out the intentions behind these kind of content creators.

I am not a range of motion purist when it comes to pull ups, because from my experience and research, what people generally consider a "proper pull up" changes with their mood, and tend to involve a movement which puts unnecessary amounts of strain on the shoulder and elbow at both ends of the motion :worms: But really... this is so shameful even Instagram would cringe :lol:

Wellsy

• forum hero
#766 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 26, 2021, 08:36:55 pm
Well, the video is obviously a piss take. The guy does lots of videos on gym people, mostly sinthol freaks, quarter reppers, ego-lifters, and so on.
Unfortunately, the TV show appears to be real.
At first, when the first guy (oh, nice gyno by the way) starts doing quarter reps, the puzzled looks on the other competitors' faces seemed to mean that they were going to do real pull ups and that the guy was going to be phagocitated by a cloud of shame.
But no.
Each subsequent guy reduces the range of motion more and more, to finally settle, with the last one, on a minimal fraction of a rep.
So, I think that it's meant to be real.
TV shows like that really make me understand that human progress as we know it has stopped years ago, and we are now regressing.
Luckily for myself, I currently live in a garage in which 100 kilos actually weigh 100 kilos, a pull up actually goes from straight arms to chin well over ther bar, and a one arm hang actually means hanging from one arm.
My numbers pale in comparison with anything worth mentioning, but my soul is pure and I can look at myself in the mirror (a thing that I do quite often) still seeing a man with a dignity.
Ląthe biņsas.

I was gonna say, first guy's tits are poppin

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#767 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 27, 2021, 12:14:00 pm
I am not a range of motion purist when it comes to pull ups, because from my experience and research, what people generally consider a "proper pull up" changes with their mood, and tend to involve a movement which puts unnecessary amounts of strain on the shoulder and elbow at both ends of the motion :worms: But really... this is so shameful even Instagram would cringe :lol:

I don't know whether there's much direct training benefit from completely closing the elbow joint and getting maximum range on a pullup, but it does help knowing exactly where each rep starts and ends and over time this consistency can provide a benefit. We are very sneaky at cheating exercises and will do it without knowing - bum off the bench on a bench press, arching the back on a bicep curl, etc, and sometimes in even more subtle ways which could still look ok to an onlooker. I've previously 'gained' on a exercises over a period of a few weeks only to discover it was actually down to learning subtle cheats! By subtly dragging the outside of my thumb on a Lattice edge while performing a half crimp max hang I can eke out a few more seconds - I didn't know I was doing this for quite a while! (On a rock project this would be a good thing of course)

I only have rings at home, and a full rep for me is from a completely disengaged shoulder, smoothly pull all the way until the ring touches my upper chest / collarbone and my elbow touches my hip/side, then slowly lower back down until the arm is fully extended, briefly pause and then disengage the shoulder ready for the next rep. The moment I fail to close up that elbow joint is the moment my set has failed. This form isn't bad for my shoulder or elbow because i've built up the necessary conditioning over many years, but a rep will be slightly different for everyone.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#768 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 28, 2021, 02:31:00 pm
The Google Doodle at the moment is an Olympics themed RPG that is good fun for a couple of hours. Possibly not one to click if you have any work that needs doing...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#769 Re: Ultimate Internet
July 28, 2021, 04:07:56 pm
Reminds me about Puzzlefarter.
One of my girlfriends was addicted to it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#770 Re: Ultimate Internet
August 30, 2021, 06:49:19 pm
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/every-single-cognitive-bias/

Am I the only one who finds this fascinating?

macca7

• addict
#771 Re: Ultimate Internet
August 31, 2021, 11:42:48 am
Anyone know of anything similar to the google doodle rpg?
Clicked it and couldn't leave it alone forgot how much I used to enjoy that can of thing, well clearly still do?
Cheers

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#772 Re: Ultimate Internet
November 17, 2021, 05:03:02 pm
Wasn't sure where to stick this; didn't feel right for the 'video' threads.

Anyway, this is about commitment and going through with it. Props. Though not to my taste, i'm just saying; good effort.

(Might be NSFW, I couldn't call that. Its a concert video)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#773 Re: Ultimate Internet
November 18, 2021, 07:36:05 am
First rule of cover songs:
YOU DON'T COVER RATM.

sdm

• forum abuser
#774 Re: Ultimate Internet
November 18, 2021, 09:55:13 am