UKBouldering.com

UKB is for sale (Read 46747 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#150 Re: UKB is for sale
January 13, 2010, 11:02:51 pm
Noone's going to disagree with you there, Graeme.

I think UKB has got a great deal of support, Bubbs, and one way or another things will turn out fine.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#151 Re: UKB is for sale
January 13, 2010, 11:19:33 pm
Really, I think you've got a better chance of sticking w/ what you have here and putting some hard thought into merch and appropriate ads than you have w/ selling.  I don't see this forum as much of a business opportunity (to others looking in, that is).  It's vague ...

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#152 Re: UKB is for sale
January 13, 2010, 11:49:06 pm

I think UKB has got a great deal of support, Bubbs, and one way or another things will turn out fine.

I mean we have financially supported UKB over the last 3 years

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#153 Re: UKB is for sale
January 13, 2010, 11:52:51 pm

:lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#154 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 12:07:24 am
And I'm very grateful for that Graeme...  :thumbsup:

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#155 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 07:06:22 am
Quote from: grumpycrumpy
I do like the ideas of shares , if only  because then we could have an AGM and although I've built a lot of stages etc etc for other people's  I've never actually been to one of my own   :'( ......

I've op'ped sound on more AGMs than I care to remember, so it sounds like we're halfway there to a full production.
You don't work for any of the northern set co's (Atlas, Set2, Art Attack, etc) by any chance?
I've done bits for Atlas , though not for a while ..... I do a lot for Stage One , Red Peel , Stage Electrics .....
What about yourself ? Are you with Delta ? ....... 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#156 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 07:49:35 am
Have you approached people like ....... Beardown etc with a deal for ads at a fair deal?

Why the fuck would a website the me kim and cofe did several years ago that's never been updated and isn't likely to be anytime in the near future need an ad?

Just listing a few people already involved with UKB.   :shrug:

Why not?  Or are you not in support of UKB  :devangel:

I think the point dave is making is that Beard Own Productions was a labour of love and has never made a single penny.  Its not selling anything and doesn't generate any revenue unlike the other sites you listed.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#157 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:07:58 am
I know that but they were the first 3 sites that popped into my head.  And I know no-one goes to Beardown 'cos the vids are pasted all over YouTube anyway :lol:

But my point stands- get regular ads from UKB members/ friends of friends at cheap deals, then suck in other ads at higher prices once you have established it.  I'd have thought it'd give more swing when you approach Tesco with a deal, and you can say "look, these guys are taking out regular ads".  Or am I being naive?

dave

#158 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:12:54 am
I know that but they were the first 3 sites that popped into my head.  And I know no-one goes to Beardown 'cos the vids are pasted all over YouTube anyway :lol:

Plus as I say the site hasn't been updated for about 3 years and isn't likely to be updated in the future. Kim might do some more videos when he finishes his ongoing "pussy&pills" tour of south east asia.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#159 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:40:01 am

Freelance, but do stuff for SoundSupport, WRG, APS, MCCC.
I suspect we may have met at some point...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#160 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:40:15 am

But my point stands- get regular ads from UKB members/ friends of friends at cheap deals, then suck in other ads at higher prices once you have established it.  I'd have thought it'd give more swing when you approach Tesco with a deal, and you can say "look, these guys are taking out regular ads".  Or am I being naive?

But advertisers usually have something to sell, I could pay for a banner to my disorganised wiki but I don't see any point as I've nothing to sell or benefit from having more traffic, just as Beard Own don't.

But yes, I see your point, UKB members with business' such as the others quoted would be better targets.

cofe

• forum hero
#161 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:41:19 am
i think we'd (VP) certainly buy some ads.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#162 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:43:22 am
Aaaaarrgh
Beardown was a bad example, I didn't stop to think, stop focussing on it!! 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#163 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:54:38 am
Aaaaarrgh
Beardown was a bad example, I didn't stop to think, stop focussing on it!! 

Your wish was my command...

But yes, I see your point, UKB members with business' such as the others quoted would be better targets.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#164 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:56:22 am
You idiot GCW.  :spank:

From the examples and stats you've mentioned Bubba I don't see any reason why (with a bit of work) you couldn't generate a decent income from the site. Long term, £1k+ a month is much better than £5k-£10k up front (although it doesn't seem like that when you're on your arse I know).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#165 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 09:57:47 am
Jas, balls to you.

(have to agree about the long term though)

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#166 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 01:04:43 pm

Freelance, but do stuff for SoundSupport, WRG, APS, MCCC.
I suspect we may have met at some point...
You're probably right , it's a small world the conference business ..... 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#167 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 03:07:27 pm
I agree with Houd, Jas, Dave and the fat Dr.  Leave your x-box switched off for one month, do some research, collect some data and start making ad revenue. 

Also, get that Paypal donate button more visible again and don't be afraid to ask for some money every now and again.

nik at work

• forum hero
#168 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 03:27:05 pm
 :agree:

Duma

• forum hero
#169 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 08:45:02 pm
 :agree:

Also, is the pp button still extant then? I thought it'd disappeared with the new forum skin (which I hate :off:)

Danger

• player
#170 Re: UKB is for sale
January 14, 2010, 11:05:54 pm
Can you make the site more commercial to increase its value and then use it as collateral for a loan to buy a new Bubbamobile?

Disclaimer: the above may be impossible

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#171 Re: UKB is for sale
January 15, 2010, 10:32:03 am
That wouldn't be possible but if he makes the site more profitable then he'll have the cash for a vehicle anyway one way or another.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#172 Re: UKB is for sale
January 15, 2010, 12:08:04 pm
I can't think of many people who post here who need a mobile climbing wall but banners from The Works, VP, Rockfax, climbing lecture companies, LAMFF, The Depot, online gear shops with any special deals to advertise would all get clickety clicks from me if they were advertising something specific. People who don't go climbing are the peeps who those mobile climbing walls etc are aimed at and people who don't go climbing, when googling, are probably going to end up with UKC. UKB needs more refined adverts for a more refined clientele.

Also. Word about the merchandise for occasional income boosts. Obviously I can't have everything personalised so this could get saturated quickly!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#173 Re: UKB is for sale
January 15, 2010, 12:23:36 pm
You can't choose your Google ads though, that's part of the problem, you get what Google thinks you'd like.

If every time someone read this thread they then clicked on a link somewhere I'm sure we'd be getting plenty of clicks for the ads.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#174 Re: UKB is for sale
January 15, 2010, 12:33:34 pm
Exactly Jasper, it doesn't take a lot of effort and it will make a difference if we all do our little bit. [/someone's mother]

The downside of doing this being that now I NEED to go to Canada ice climbing.  :greed:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal