UKBouldering.com

WANTED: Klettern im Norden (Read 3069 times)

daddy long legs

• player
WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 04, 2010, 09:14:14 pm
After a copy of this German climbing guide if anyone knows where one's at?

Cheers

holgerman

#1 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 08, 2010, 05:04:55 pm
 Guide book sold out a few years back but online topo under http://www.kletternimnorden.de/ (routen db) if you need more info about the area let me know

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 08, 2010, 05:08:13 pm
Is there ANY good climbing in the North?

daddy long legs

• player
#3 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 09, 2010, 08:07:23 am
Cheers Holgerman, I new it was sold out, after a second hand copy really.

To Houdini, there's definately quite a bit of climbing in the North at places like The Ith and The Harz mountains, suppose more West than North really, don't think there's much/ any in the very north around Hamburg. Not sure how good it is like, that's why I'm after the guide.

I'm gonna be living near Osnabruck later this year and this guide covers everything in the North half, I think, there'll definately be a bit of driving in between places, but I'm hoping it's better than nowt  :)

Holgerman, do you know much about the bouldering at Teuroburgerwald? I've got the route guide which is in German and it mentions bouldering, but I can't translate it, is there a guide or is it local knowledge or is it just plain pants?

Cheers

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 09, 2010, 08:56:02 am
I recall the Ith having woeful climbing, scrappy limestone mushrooms, pleasant enough if one wanted a day out of the city but not worth the trek if you wanted to get some quality rock in.

tc who posts on here may have more to offer.

There is some sandstone not too far from there though, I recall we stumbled upon some quality stuff by accident (we were following directions to a limestone crag ..., it was a general 'climbing in Europe' guide).  Now this was OK.  On the whole the forays in the N have been rather like hearing there's some bouldering there & expecting The Meadow, & finding the Plas-Y-Brenin boulder ... 

daddy long legs

• player
#5 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 09, 2010, 06:40:11 pm
 :( Sounds shite. There's some sandstone near to where I'll be living at Teutoburgerwald, which looks alright, don't think ats very popular so I'll have lots of exploring to do at least!
Can always get on the 'bahn down to Frankenjura or make the 6hr drive to font  :)

holgerman

#6 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 11, 2010, 09:30:03 am
There is sanstone near Osnabrueck probaly good up to 7b routes and some bouldering, the bouldering is not published though as there are access isssues the rest is covered in a seperate guide book. There is a popular sanstone quarry in Bielefeld with a fair bit of bouldering - lots of eliminates and some worthwhile short routes. Ith is your best bet for good quality sports climbing especially in the lower grades (up to 7c) - at least as good or even better than a lot of the sports climbing in England - some crags in Selter have been closed though. - There is some climbing iand bouldering  Eifel and some interesting quarried rhyolite in Ettringen.... - let me know if you need more information or drop me an e-mail I used to live in Bielefeld for quite some time...

daddy long legs

• player
#7 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 11, 2010, 12:22:12 pm
Cheers Holgerman, just the sort of info I needed, I can at least look forward to some half decent climbing now  :thumbsup:
Have you climbed at Harz? I've heard it's the biggest mountain range in the north, not saying much, but as big as British ones with apparently good climbing. I've heard its Granite routes, could this be true?

holgerman

#8 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 11, 2010, 07:50:29 pm
yes granite - can be a bit of a hike though to find places - some bouldering has been developed recently and there is a bouldering guide book. It is not that close and I prefered to  go to Frankenjura instead - you will work it out. Ith is pretty good and there is quite a few different areas it can keep you busy for a few years unless you are mightily strong. However Osnabrueck would not be my first choice from a climbing perspective... 

daddy long legs

• player
#9 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 12, 2010, 07:20:20 am
Not mightily strong so no problems there, I'll def be checking out Frankenjura and other areas of Germany and Europe accessible by car. The move to Osnabruck def int for climbing reasons, but want to keep it up whilst I'm there. Thanks again for the insight.
The granite bouldering looks quality at Harz, I looked on www.harzblock.de and it looks really good.
Are there any climbing walls around Osnabruck? I've heard there's one in Munster, have you been? Any good?
Cheers

holgerman

#10 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 12, 2010, 11:33:50 am
two in Muenster - both good for lead climbing not sure about the bouldering,  one in Bielefeld -  really good for bouldering - Bielefeld is run by the alpine club only opens 5pm during week - best check home pages - and some really good walls in the Netherlands which is not too far and you can relax your muscles adequately afterwards if you like...

daddy long legs

• player
#11 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 12, 2010, 12:31:21 pm
Thanks for all your helpful info.

holgerman

#12 Re: WANTED: Klettern im Norden
January 12, 2010, 07:31:44 pm
Best areas in Ith for a first visit are Holzen and Luerdissen - Holzen is more sheltered in cold weather - there is an alpine club  campsite in Luerdissen by the crag. Pack a set of wires they may come in handy. If you go to Holzen/ Luerdissen in routen db on www.kletternimnorden.de - all the different crags (numbered) will be in walking distance. Best order a beastmaker before you go over to get some training in while you are in Osnabrueck

cheers H 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal