UKBouldering.com

Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan?? (Read 2525 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 11:07:26 am
I am keen to go and looking to get either a partner or small group. I've had a bit of interest from friends and climbing partners but no-one has fully committed yet. As long as you're into climbing and chilling rather than boozing, it should be good.

Although it's not as major as Costa Blanca etc, I think Tenerife (spanish speaking, BTW) is a good option because:

- winter climate is supposed to be excellent, 20'c and dry.
- should be plenty of good value off-season accommodation available.
- the rock is different to the usual Euro-limestone, it's a volcanic ignimbrite with strong features and distinctive lines.
- climbing on the lunar landscape slopes of a dormant volcano.
- full range of grades from 5 - 8 with a lot in the mid-grades 6a-6c.
- some trad available too.
- Rockfax guide available cheaply.

Basically it's somewhere a bit different to explore with a perfect winter sun climate.

I've looked at flights and accommodation over Xmas and they were both very cheap, could get return flights from Birmingham for £45 (maybe about £70 with stealth charges etc), and a 4 person appartment for £240 for the week, so £60 each if 4 people came. Obviously the flights will go up a bit but it should still be good value being off-season.

I will be back on the 1st and looking to get something booked shortly after, if anyone is interested please let me know by posting on here or emailing fiendophobia [at] googlemail [dot] com

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 11:11:37 am
As long as you're into climbing and chilling rather than boozing, it should be good.

Thats me out then!  Since chilling == boozing in my world  :P

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#2 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 11:16:47 am
I'm actually going out for a week on the 5th of Feb. I went the year before last too and can confirm the quality.

Arico Gorge is really good and you can get the local guide from the the bar opposite the phone box in Arico itself. I'd reccomend getting it as the rockfax is a bit lacking and the local one is a quality effort with full colour topos.

Not impressed with the climbing on the volcano though. It was cold, shrouded in cloud, full of toursists and a massive ball ache to get to if you're staying on the coast.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 12:02:15 pm
I quite liked the climbing up as Las Canadas - it was really sunny, and the weird rock and noticeably thin air gave everything an otherworldly feel. Unfortunately the routes weren't that great. The actual climbing in Arico was better, in fact it was much better than anywhere else.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#4 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 12:20:58 pm
As long as you're into climbing and chilling rather than boozing, it should be good.

Thats me out then!  Since chilling == boozing in my world  :P
Slackers I'd let you come along anyway :)

I just put that in so people (esp. on the other channel) knew it was a climbing trip not an off-peak 18-30 trip...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 12:31:43 pm
Slackers I'd let you come along anyway :)
:hug:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 12:49:35 pm
I just put that in so people (esp. on the other channel) knew it was a climbing trip not an off-peak 18-30 trip...
Yeah, you wouldn't want to get stuck with some gin drinking punter as a partner for the week, would you.   ;)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#7 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 05, 2010, 01:50:45 pm
Yeah, you wouldn't want to get stuck with some gin drinking punter as a partner for the week, would you.   ;)

I am also quite partial to Vodka and Rum I will have you know...  ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#8 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 06, 2010, 11:23:56 am
That's all well and good and as you know strawberry beer + pork scratchings is the drink of champions BUT does anyone know anyone who is up for going on this??

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Tenerife 23rd - 31st Jan??
January 06, 2010, 11:31:32 am
Too short notice for me I'm afraid, plus I'm hoping to be heading the other direction (north) for some snowy winter fun in the coming weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal