UKBouldering.com

Bouldering at "High Rocks" for beginners, any good? (Read 1811 times)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
Me and my girlfriend climb at around the same level indoors at the moment and are looking to try some proper outdoors stuff soon.
Was looking at various bouldering areas that are within driving distance, and "High Rocks" looks like it has a good mix of beginners stuff around 5A-5C plus one or two 6A's?
I can now climb V1's relatively easy indoors and am getting onto V2's (although not consistently), my girlfriend can hit V0's and V1's indoors, do you think this would be a good place for a couple of beginners like us to head to for our first bit of bouldering on actual boulders?

deacon

• addict
Bowling green boulders are a really good beginners area at high rocks , but it costs a tenner to climb there now. A better bet would be to head down to Happy Valley, (just round the corner from High Rocks) as it's really good at the grades you mentioned, quick drying and you'll have the place to yourself.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
Thats great, thanks for the recommendation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
High Rocks takes ages to dry, and unlikely to be in condition for a few months. Places like Stone Farm might be a better bet too.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
Yeah Happy Valley low & easy, but look out for broken glass as some of the local kids hang out there.
High Rocks is amazing, but again slow to dry & £10 a go now due to wankers busting over the fence & generally being ass holes..
Bowles is worth a look £3 or so a pop some nice bits & bobs, easy access, quick-ish drying, but a bit eliminate & tend to be low starts to existing route.
Harrisons is worth a dig too you have the North boulder & lot's of short routes that are good to boulder out above a pad.
Lastly if your new to the sandy stuff please wait 'till it dry's out as it breaks real easy, go easy on the brush & clean your boots before you climb.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal