UKBouldering.com

Northern Spain (Read 3452 times)

marty

• menacing presence
Northern Spain
January 02, 2010, 12:25:50 am
Thinking of dragging the family to Northern spain for the summer hols this year, probably starting around sansebastian / bilbao, and then crossing over the pyranees into southern france.

Anyone recommendations for some family friendling fun? preferably bouldering, but will take a rope and a set of quickdraws

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Northern Spain
January 02, 2010, 05:21:35 pm
Thinking of dragging the family to Northern spain for the summer hols this year, probably starting around sansebastian / bilbao, and then crossing over the pyranees into southern france.

Anyone recommendations for some family friendling fun? preferably bouldering, but will take a rope and a set of quickdraws

you might find a lot of the sport areas pretty hot in the south of France during the summer. Ceuse avoids this but its busy and the long walk in make it far from family friendly. Slightly furhter north Ablon is meant to be stunning and isn't far from Lake annecy etc.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Northern Spain
January 04, 2010, 01:36:55 pm
Me & a mate did most of the areas in that E bloc this year. As we were on a road trip most areas were done as a 1 or 2 day trip dependant on what we thought, but some areas are small. Being grade slags we aimed for Font 7a or above, but had a good look around searching for the best problems to get involved in. I found the grading went from stiff as to soft as sin. For what it's worth here's what I think. Oh I'm also sat in Oz now so going from memory. Lastly I know some of the areas I mention are lower down, but I have nothing better to do right now.

Targasonne. A good & large area. Gets hot, but Lot's of shady spots. The E bloc only covers a fraction of it. The full guide is about 35+ euros from the local campsite. Worth a look for sure.

Savassona. I thought it was pretty cool. Small & Lot's of tree cover. Some clip up stuff & would think it's OK for kids. As stated bit Font like, but not half as good.

Saint Joan de Vilatorra. Fucking hot! In a more open forest. Loads to go at some cool highish stuff. Probably not the best with young kids. Good spread of problems from cracks- overhangs.

El Cogual. The areas are spread out & mainly out in the sun. Some cool stuff, some easy to get to others a bit of a walk. Can be stupidly hot!

Albarracin. The stand out area no wonder it gets all the rave reviews! Lot's & Lot's to go at. Watch out for bird nesting restrictions thou. Get in now before it gets fucked up. There is also some history to the place like super old stone paintings if you wanna' send the kids on a walk...

Navalosa. Can't think to much on this one. As I recall a nice setting, but not much worth doing.

Burguillo. As above really. Think it was by a lake or some water setting, very pretty setting. Poor rock I think.

El Escorial. Pretty neat place. I think I found the grades stiff there. Mainly in the trees. Again a nice walk out.

Zarzalejo. Open & shit crumbly rock. Not worth the walk.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Northern Spain
January 06, 2010, 03:31:59 pm

http://www.escuelasdeescalada.com/ingles/lista_i.php?provincia=34

have a look especially at Gama

The area is covered by the jingo wobbly Europe guide and there are a few pics.

clm

• forum hero
#5 Re: Northern Spain
January 06, 2010, 03:50:07 pm
lots of rock in the basque country thiugh i know very little about it. Picos are amazing but a little west of your intinerary. Could always sack off the climbing and hit the beach. The coastline along that stretch is amazing. Watch out for big waves and euros with their plums out though. If you get east across the pyrenees at all do not miss the cirque du gavarnie south of lourdes. Astonishing place and you can ride a mule up to it. San seb is wicked, esp the old quarter.

marty

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Northern Spain
January 09, 2010, 08:53:00 pm
Cheers for the pointers - think we are going to stay in san seb for a while so will definitely check out the old quarter. Just checked gavarnie on googleearth - looks really cool so may take a day trip.

E-Bloc looks too far south. Ceuse a tad far east.

Anyone have any pointers for the picos?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal