UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 240037 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
#775 Re: gooDADvice
December 18, 2018, 04:32:39 pm
Uh, wtf is an NCT?

Is it like those Farcebook “Mum’s groups”?
Because my better half follows a few of those and as far as I can tell, everything is a vaccine injury, all you need are essential oils and at least five of the group are calling CPS about your last post...

Nah, fortunately, NCT (National Childbirth Trust) is pretty evidence based, and realistic advice (assuming the group leader sticks to the script).
But mostly it's a great way to meet fellow parents for the mums/dads to hang out with.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#776 Re: gooDADvice
December 19, 2018, 08:05:05 am
I mea"Little Angel" who can go full Krakatoa on us at the slightest provocation (and she does choose some weird hills on which to die).

One of the best things I've seen shared on Facebook recently is an album of photos of toddlers having full DEFCON 1 meltdowns with a simple caption explaining the cause. One of them is a little girl sat in front of her dinner, wearing oven mitts, with her head tossed back in a wide-mouthed wail of utter despair. The caption reads: she can't pick up her fork. Another shows a young boy beating his tiny fists against the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. In the foreground is a Ritz cracker with one of the tiny edge crenellations broken off. The caption reads: I can't fix his biscuit.

Well ours seems to be getting a cold, so was basically asleep in my arms when I put her down at half 6. I left the night light on and some books at the end of her cot. This backfired as she awoke at three, took off her sleeping bag, and must have thought it was time to get up. Didn't go back to sleep for 45 mins but then did sleep till a little after 6.
 :devangel:

That'd be a good night for us!!!

I was quite reluctant to post as it did seem like a bit of a humblebrag in light of the struggles of others. The fact that she's so good means that you end up being anxious about when it will end and what it will lead to. I'm fairly sure that the level of payback we need means she'll be running a terrorist cell from her bedroom by the time she's eight.

The underlying fear that parenthood engenders...

Payback.

Made me think of the Sam Vimes quote on that nagging feeling of impending doom:

“He had nightmares about being too late.

He had a lot of nightmares about Young Sam. They involved empty cots and darkness.

It had all been too … good. In a few short years, he, Sam Vimes, had gone up in the world like a balloon. He was a Duke, he commanded the Watch, he was powerful, he was married to a woman whose compassion, love, and understanding he knew a man such as he did not deserve, and he was as rich as Creosote. Fortune had rained its gravy, and he’d been the man with the big bowl. And it had all happened so fast.

And then Young Sam had come along. At first it had been fine. The baby was, well, a baby, all lolling head and burping and unfocused eyes, entirely the preserve of his mother. And then, one evening, his son had turned and looked directly at Vimes, with eyes that for his father outshone the lamps of the world, and fear had poured into Sam Vimes’ life in a terrible wave. All this good fortune, all this fierce joy … it was wrong. Surely the universe could not allow this amount of happiness in one man, not without presenting a bill. Somewhere a big wave was cresting, and when it broke over his head it would wash everything away.
Some days, he was sure he could hear its distant roar …

[…]

Young Sam pulled himself up against the cot’s rails, and said “Da!”

The world went soft.”

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#777 Re: gooDADvice
December 19, 2018, 10:29:02 am

But mostly it's a great way to meet fellow parents for the mums/dads to hang out with.

Yep, (almost all) of our group still meet regularly 9 years on.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#778 Re: gooDADvice
December 19, 2018, 02:48:11 pm
This has been an enlightening and encouraging thread recently. I've booked in for an appointment to have the snip early next year.

tomtom

• forum hero
#779 Re: gooDADvice
December 19, 2018, 03:34:25 pm
You could claim some carbon credits for that Fiend.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#780 Re: gooDADvice
December 19, 2018, 05:11:52 pm
This has been an enlightening and encouraging thread recently. I've booked in for an appointment to have the snip early next year.

Castration is a bit extreme innit?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#781 Re: gooDADvice
December 19, 2018, 05:37:22 pm
Gotta be sure. You guys have sold it to me.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#782 Re: gooDADvice
December 19, 2018, 09:40:47 pm

of course there's already a thread

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,27037.msg521695.html#msg521695

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#783 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 05:17:31 pm
Delighted to say that there will be a micro Monolith as of August. Very much mining this thread for beta in advance!

andy popp

• forum hero
#784 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 05:18:06 pm
Tom, that's fantastic. Congratulations!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#785 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 05:20:43 pm
 :beer2:

Nice one mate!

Doylo

• forum hero
#786 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 05:21:06 pm
Delighted to say that there will be a micro Monolith as of August. Very much mining this thread for beta in advance!

You got laid?! :jaw:

nik at work

• forum hero
#787 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 06:18:05 pm
Congratulations beast  :2thumbsup:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#788 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 06:53:34 pm
Congratulations brother!!!
 :2thumbsup:

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#789 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 06:58:41 pm
Congrats Tom!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#790 Re: gooDADvice
February 21, 2019, 11:06:45 pm
Excellent news!

you know where to ask for the best advice

SA Chris

• forum hero
#791 Re: gooDADvice
February 22, 2019, 11:01:39 am

you know where to ask for the best advice

Yep, anywhere but here! Lets face it, no-one has a clue.

tomtom

• forum hero
#792 Re: gooDADvice
February 22, 2019, 11:09:44 am
Congrats Tom!

Baby beta is pretty much like climbing beta - some will be spot on and work perfectly for you - and some (most?) will ultimately prove useless but will help/make you feel better at the time :D

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#793 Re: gooDADvice
February 22, 2019, 11:27:09 am
Congrats Tom!

Baby beta is pretty much like climbing beta - some will be spot on and work perfectly for you - and some (most?) will ultimately prove useless but will help/make you feel better at the time :D

I was going to post exactly the same thing - that reading the last 32 pages of this thread should tell you that there's loads of advice out there, not all of it useful!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#794 Re: gooDADvice
February 24, 2019, 12:42:18 am
Cheers beasts, super happy!

tomtom

• forum hero
#795 Re: gooDADvice
February 24, 2019, 07:44:23 pm
Our 2.5 yo lad just ‘self settled’ for the first time. I read him a story in bed after bathtime routine - and he said daddy leave me. We said good night. He sat there for a couple of min - then got under his covers and went to bed. 😱👏

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#796 Re: gooDADvice
February 24, 2019, 08:21:22 pm
Our 2.5 yo lad just ‘self settled’ for the first time. I read him a story in bed after bathtime routine - and he said daddy leave me. We said good night. He sat there for a couple of min - then got under his covers and went to bed. 😱👏

nice one

our lad started similar things at that age - telling me "you can go now" and patting me on the arm at nursery and getting on with his day rather than trying to follow me - he still does the same thing when he is comfortable enough not to need a parent, but thinks that we haven't quite grasped the situation

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#797 Re: gooDADvice
February 24, 2019, 08:43:31 pm

nice one

our lad started similar things at that age - telling me "you can go now" and patting me on the arm at nursery and getting on with his day rather than trying to follow me - he still does the same thing when he is comfortable enough not to need a parent, but thinks that we haven't quite grasped the situation

Yeah, my daughter does something similar, but verbal.

Really cute.

She smiles so sweetly and says “Oh for God’s sake dad, piss off!”

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#798 Re: gooDADvice
August 22, 2020, 09:39:43 am
Thread resurrection.

Anyone got any tips for getting a stubborn toddler to take their medicine?

My 2.5yr old son got a nasty skin infection and had to have an overnight stay in hospital on an IV of antibiotics. Had a couple of days dose via the IV but now we're on an oral solution at home. My son HATES it. It's very citrus smelling, suspect it has quite a strong taste.

We've tried bribery with chocolate but he just ignored the choc. We've tried mixing with yoghurt, squash and milk all with very limited intake.

So far best effort was about 30 minutes to drink the 2.5ml mixed in milk with TV as the bribe.
Otherwise we squirted a syringe in his mouth whole he was crying and resisting which while it got a lot down was horrible and stressful and did involve a lot of spitting out everywhere too.

From 2.5 years of refusing to sleep I knew he had strong willpower but this is ridiculous.

Anyone have any advice?!

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#799 Re: gooDADvice
August 22, 2020, 10:03:19 am
It might be worth talking to the GP/pharmacist about it, we've done this when our boy refused to take antibiotics and they prescribed something else that either wasn't as unpleasant or needed taking less often. Also, our boy was fine taking his medicine at nursery but played up for us.

Bribery with chocolate buttons has worked for us, think we might have bribed with a new toy/book for when he finished the course as well. It is horrible and stressful trying to get medicine in them that they really don't want to take.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal