UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 243212 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#475 Re: gooDADvice
April 30, 2015, 12:16:08 pm
£800?

I could modify an IKEA one for a fraction of that!

Also

Not included

•Mattresses, Bedding, Children

:)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#476 Re: gooDADvice
June 02, 2015, 01:49:22 pm
a bit of inspiration for any other dad's who feel that they should be involved in more craft activities

super heroes, duct tape, recycling and weapons all in one

the Captain America shield flies briliantly

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#477 Re: gooDADvice
June 04, 2015, 11:38:16 am
Amazing!! Effort Rob:)

The Noodle and I made an egg box crocodile and a robot named Bob last year. This has got me psyched for a rematch! Nice one...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#478 Re: gooDADvice
June 04, 2015, 12:36:08 pm
have you got any of those super hero Mashers figures?

you can swap different body parts and accessories from different super heroes

we play that, but with us (instead of little figures), shop bought outfits and our own creations

crafting AND dressing up

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#479 Re: gooDADvice
June 04, 2015, 04:10:10 pm
and fighting

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#480 Re: gooDADvice
June 05, 2015, 12:55:35 pm

crafting AND dressing up

Sharpe jnr's two most hated activities!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#481 Re: gooDADvice
June 05, 2015, 01:49:52 pm
I don't think either of his parents are big on the craft scene

and their dressing up history is not something that is acceptable at kids parties

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#482 Re: gooDADvice
June 05, 2015, 02:03:30 pm
I'd forgotten about the SS uniforms.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#483 Re: gooDADvice
June 05, 2015, 02:31:37 pm
gonna post?

please

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#484 Re: gooDADvice
June 05, 2015, 02:35:57 pm
Don't think I've got any photos. Was for Pete Shale's birthday do at the Brincs many years ago!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#485 Re: gooDADvice
April 01, 2016, 12:27:04 pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roald-Dahl-Phizz-whizzing-Audiobooks-Collection/dp/B00HYUOZR8

Definitely worth it for longer car journeys. Entertaining for parents and older kids alike. Must be on drugs to pay RRP though.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#486 Re: gooDADvice
April 01, 2016, 01:14:44 pm
Good call Chris! We got this on a deal from the Book People last year and it was a total bargain (can't remember how much we paid) has provided hours of entertainment!

dave

#487 Re: gooDADvice
April 01, 2016, 01:19:53 pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roald-Dahl-Phizz-whizzing-Audiobooks-Collection/dp/B00HYUOZR8

Definitely worth it for longer car journeys. Entertaining for parents and older kids alike. Must be on drugs to pay RRP though.

On a similar note we got a box set of Julia Donaldson audio book shit - Gruffalo etc. Ripped em to iPad, was good for the drive to Font.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#488 Re: gooDADvice
April 01, 2016, 01:22:59 pm
Yeah, we got those JD ones too. Kids love them, I can barely tolerate.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#489 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 08:31:09 am
Following on from Power Club post - mini-Tone/Sparrow is on the way.

Not sure if this is a god thing or not but unbelievably the due date is Una (mini-Tone no.1)'s 3rd birthday.

Wanted to post on here in case anyone didn't know about this - there is a test that can be done at 12 weeks to screen out various genetic abnormalities such as Downs, Edwards and Patau syndrome. We had it done this time round (after some of our NCT friends had an undiagnosed case of Downs with their second) and thankfully it's all come up clear.

I think some healthcare trusts can / do provide the test on the NHS, but you have to ask for it - our doesn't so we had it done privately - here's the link anyway:

http://www.thisismy.co.uk/non-invasive-prenatal-testing-nipt/nipt-non-invasive-prenatal-testing/the-serenity-test-for-pregnant-women-non-invasive-prenatal-testing/

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#490 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 08:51:08 am
Congrats TTT!  :thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
#491 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 09:40:29 am
Congrats 3T :)

In greater Manchester they would do he test for free if you were in their at risk group (based on age/lifestyle etc..)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#492 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 09:46:51 am
Yeah, I think we didn't qualify but thought it was worth it was Downs risk increases quite steeply post-36 apparently.

The footnote is that they can also determine gender with the test so despite us only being 14ish weeks down the line we already know what we're having.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#493 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 10:17:37 am
Congrats again!. And what flavour are you getting? Yes, various trusts offer the test based on risk. If we had lived in England we would have got it due to age, but not in Aberdeen (guess age is not the main health risk up here!).

Can't believe youngest is nearly 3.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#494 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 10:20:09 am
Following on from Power Club post - mini-Tone/Sparrow is on the way.

Congrats buddy!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#495 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 02:38:38 pm
Congrats again!. And what flavour are you getting? Yes, various trusts offer the test based on risk. If we had lived in England we would have got it due to age, but not in Aberdeen (guess age is not the main health risk up here!).

Can't believe youngest is nearly 3.

Gonna be a laddie this time round - to be honest I was initially a bit disappointed when we found out Una was a girl, but having had a girl now I really wanted another one!

Will be a whole new adventure I guess with a boy, plus can't argue with one of each...friend of a friend really wanted a son but apparently gave up after daughter number 4!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#496 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2016, 03:06:05 pm
I personally don't think it matters. 2 of the same saves a lot of money on clothes and they are often closer, but our 2 are 2.5 years apart (boy and girl) and happily play together all the time. I'm sure the fighting will come though.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#497 Re: gooDADvice
August 25, 2016, 07:58:57 am
I personally don't think it matters. 2 of the same saves a lot of money on clothes and they are often closer, but our 2 are 2.5 years apart (boy and girl) and happily play together all the time. I'm sure the fighting will come though.

So, I have two of each (aka "The Borg"). The handing down thing only works with bikes, because daughter #2 (youngest (4of4)) won't wear girls clothes (even pinches either brothers underwear and we had to get permission from the school to allow her to wear a modified uniform). Son #1 (9yrs (2of4)) and Son #2 (7yrs (3of4)) are the same size and Daughter #1 (11yrs (1of4)) is quite girlie.

They fight over anything and everything, especially things that seem so small and petty that no-one would ever fight over it. 3of4 and 4of4 being the worst. Despite our hopes, when we merged, four years ago; they alternate between best buddies and mortal enemies. 3of4 and 4of4 are three weeks apart in age. They look so similar, everyone assumes they are twins. They are way more immature than their siblings were at the same age.

3of4 (despite being fit and strong) can be so effeminate and 4of4 is such a thuggish Tomboy, that I frequently get punched by Mrs OMM for telling new acquaintances that "We have four kids, one of each"...

I find I have become quite shouty. It seems the only way to exert any kind of control. It is never enough to say, calmly, "Don't jump off that cliff"; I will need to explain it four times, individually, still have to shout it at least twice more and one of them will jump anyway; just to see. All despite them supposedly being quite bright (11 year old starts at Grammar in Sept).

They drive me nuts. My own wants and needs slip into a never-never land of "one day, maybe" but...

It's the best thing I ever did. It's another adventure to add to my list and probably the most terrifying and rewarding one to date. Certainly this is the first time I have been so scared of failure and so lacking in confidence in my ability to dodge bullets, that I wake sweating in the night.
Life is full, leaving little room for introspection, to remember what day it is or even what year it is.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. Looking at you, here, Dense. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#498 Re: gooDADvice
August 25, 2016, 08:30:58 am
"We have four kids, one of each"...

That made me laugh.

Good luck with the quest. We can but do our best, I find most of the time you just have to go with your gut.

tomtom

• forum hero
#499 Re: gooDADvice
August 25, 2016, 09:23:31 am
TTjnr is nearly 7 weeks old now...

On reflection we've probably got quite a calm well behaved little soul (so far*) at night he sleeps for 3-5 hour stretches, so depending on when he gets off, theres only one or two feed wake ups in the night...

My observations on fatherhood/new family are:
1. Its relentless. Its never been too much, or impossible, or doing my head in (yet*) but it doesnt stop. It will not stop for a long time either I suspect! Relentless is the best word I can come up with.
2. There are no patterns. Everyone tries to link cause to effect, to come up with a reason why hes crying, or not sleeping. Its a new phase, or a new routine etc.. at this age, I think its all just pretty random (so far*)
3. The best thing pre-birth we bought was a changing table (its on top of a dresser). It fits in the toilet, and means we can get all the baby changing/cleaning/clothing shit in one place - plus its at a good height so the taller climber doesnt do his back in bending down to change him. Changing on the floor/a bed is crippling for me if I do it often.
4. Its looking like its becoming easy to get fat. For some fuckknowswhy reason our house now always seems to have cake/biscuits/chocolates.. I think its due to having steady streams of visitors who we all feel we should supply with cake/chocs etc.. and often they bring them with them. This coupled with a more 'indoor' lifestyle (due to baby not wanting to go running/cycling/climbing) means I seem to be regretfully putting on a couple of lbs. Plus mrsTT is breastfeeding the bairn, so she has a rapacious appetite - meaning any form of portion control has gone out of the window.

ANyway, these are just gripes/observations.. so far its all been pretty good. (though he only smiles for his mum... grr....)

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal