UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 243311 times)

lukeh

• addict
#300 Re: gooDADvice
January 27, 2013, 01:01:46 pm
Son No1 has a load of the TinTin stories and is busy demolishing them of an evening.

Brilliant

Daddy T kinda likes them too!

(can you see a trend developing here).

Stumbled across the full collection (in a5 rather than a4) for £45 in a waterstones during Christmas shopping, was dead chuffed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#301 Re: gooDADvice
January 27, 2013, 01:03:19 pm
They had the tintin DVDs box setting Hmv for a tenner. Daddy kinda etc.

On a less cheerful note and my original intention for resurrecting this thread; does anyone have any experience of kids with " cafe au lait" birthmarks and the potential problems they may indicate?

Internet research is a bit worrying, either reply here or pm. Thanks

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#302 Re: gooDADvice
January 27, 2013, 01:29:00 pm
I've got loads of them - big one covering my left chest, and a load of irregular patches on my left arm. This is the first I've heard of them being a problem, it certainly hasn't for me.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#303 Re: gooDADvice
January 27, 2013, 01:36:02 pm
I've got one on my left arm, I used to call them gravy stains when I was a nipper! Never bothered me TBH, and echos of what JB said in that I have never heard of them being an issue.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#304 Re: gooDADvice
January 27, 2013, 02:49:39 pm
Have either of your kids got them? Apparently there is a potential link to neurofibromatosis? Was pointed out by a doctor recently and has caused concern.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#305 Re: gooDADvice
January 27, 2013, 03:08:48 pm
Neither of my two have.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#306 gooDADvice
January 27, 2013, 03:42:55 pm
My sister had one covering her left cheek, never caused a problem and shank away to a mole/beauty spot as she grew up. Never heard of that link before (not saying it isn't linked) but they seem to be quite common?

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#307 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 08:19:52 pm
I have been asked to get some feedback on some proposed pictures for the rooms in Jessop Wing, the maternity unit here in Sheffield.

I have asked various 'mummy' groups, but would like feedback from dads too.

I think the easiest way is to post a link to an open facebook group, hope this works...
http://www.facebook.com/groups/yummymummymonthly/482231328478606/?notif_t=group_comment

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#308 gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 08:40:20 pm
I like it in general. Possibly a tad too Floral...
Mix it up a bit?
How many shots are going up?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#309 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 08:50:47 pm
I only have a Face Book account to monitor the oldest child's postings (until she is actually 13 and so allowed her own online freedom) - thus, despite joining the "Yummy Mummys Monthly" group I can't work out how to respond to Lucy's post on that group.

Yes they are nice pics, but how about some local scenery? It'd be great to encourage parents to take their kids to see the local parks/countryside/Peak. I know that I'd be very grateful for seeing a bit of recognizable scenery presented in a meaningful way whilst waiting for my wife to finish the hard part of reproduction.

I'm sure some of the photographers on here would like to help brighten up the Jessop Wing.

Failing that, I think a few photos of me would go a long way to reducing the birth rate in Sheffield and therefore reduce pressure on the service

fatkid2000

• junky
#310 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 08:54:03 pm
My wife nearly died in the Jessops giving birth - I personally don't care what pictures are on the wall. The care she received on the post natal ward was dreadful - and we're both doctors, so they should concentrate on basic care - read the mid - staffs report the Jessops could learn a thing or two there.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#311 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 09:05:44 pm
fatkid200, sorry to hear of your experience. Was it recent? There is a very good 'Birth Afterthoughts' service where you can go through your experience with the Consultant Midwife who is excellent at responding to your concerns and taking action if necessary to deal with any particular problems.

Myself and the oldest also both didn't make it out still breathing, mainly just because I was very ill. However, there was a particular action (or lack of) on their part that made things worse than they could have been, and I felt our complaint was dealt with very well.

I can pass the contact details to you if you feel it would be helpful. I'm Chair of the Maternity Services Liaison Committee, hence being asked to gather feedback on the photos. As part of that role I am responsible for gaining user feedback. It is really helpful for Jessop Wing to know of particular complaints in order to improve the service so do let me know if you want to follow this up.

fatkid2000

• junky
#312 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 09:20:10 pm
We've had written apologises from the medical director.

We basically had to walk out - my wife couldn't look after herself let alone a baby after delivery and whenever she asked for help she was shouted at.

The midwives wouldn't give our boy pain relief - despite the paeds reg telling them to give it.

And one midwife basically assaulted my wife - which I witnessed.

The only saving grace was the obs reg who delivered the boy - he was superb.

We've moved on - if we have more children we'll be have an elective section under our chosen consultant who we've seen on clinic and have her agreement for this.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#313 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 09:28:31 pm
Could there be a well hidden smoking area for ladies about to pop? I would rather have not seen such behaviour when in an agitated state worrying about the health of new babies. And make sure that non-pregnant smokers have to be well clear of the building entrances while working up to draining our health service - Weston Park for instance.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#314 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2013, 09:32:26 pm
I agree with lagers that while the photos are lovely they are all a bit generic. I'm sure some local landscape photographers on this forum (one of whom hs just become a dad?) would be able to prove some nice pics at a rate similar to, if not less than, shutterstock.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#315 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 07:06:31 am
Fuck the pictures, get the extra staff back in that lead to poor care, due to lack 0f resources om wards..

If... IF the Francis report does what it should do... The old adage of " well the picture budget isn the staff budget"bullshit will disappear......

If better do, cos the NHS is fucked...

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#316 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 08:53:11 am
We've had written apologises from the medical director.

We basically had to walk out - my wife couldn't look after herself let alone a baby after delivery and whenever she asked for help she was shouted at.

The midwives wouldn't give our boy pain relief - despite the paeds reg telling them to give it.

And one midwife basically assaulted my wife - which I witnessed.

The only saving grace was the obs reg who delivered the boy - he was superb.

We've moved on - if we have more children we'll be have an elective section under our chosen consultant who we've seen on clinic and have her agreement for this.

This is a recurring theme at the Jessops. I think there is lot of friction between the medics and midwives there. The latter don't like being told what to do. In fact when me and the missus went for our NCB day run by midwives and held at the Jessops, the main message was if a Doctor gets involved "you've f**ked up your birth' and its going to be a disaster (cascade of doom/intervention).
Serious chips going on.

My mates wife had to go in to deliver 2 late stage dead twins in Jan, was admitted and ignored for 2 days by the midwifery, it was made very clear she was of little importance. She said the medics were superb though.

I don't mean to brand all the midwives there, I know 2 of them and they are lovely people, but there is a problem.

ianv

• forum abuser
#317 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 09:09:01 am
Fuck the pictures, get the extra staff back in that lead to poor care, due to lack 0f resources om wards..

If... IF the Francis report does what it should do... The old adage of " well the picture budget isn the staff budget"bullshit will disappear......

If better do, cos the NHS is fucked...
   :agree:

I have spent plenty of time in my A+E over the last few years. I cant really fault the level of care but, I am amazed at the ammount of junk mail, trust communications and marketing BS that I now get sent. FFS, why does the trust need to market itself?

If they saved money and directed this waste to more front line services im sure all its "customers" would be a lot happier.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#318 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 09:15:53 am
The last two User Consultations we have done showed over 80% satisfaction overall. This could definitely be improved, but there is also a lot of good stuff going on.

Bereavement support has been identified as an area that was, quite frankly, crap. It is on our workplan this year and so far we have set up a fantastic resource to improve this; there are fundraising efforts going on to pay for this.

Communication is also a big issue for those of us representing you lot; both from midwives and consultants. We are making progress, albeit slowly. The Consultant Midwife is fantastic in this area, and is making changes.

One issue is that if you don't raise your concerns then they can't really improve what you weren't happy with. User feedback does make a massive difference, I have been involved for 4 years now and seen some major changes take place.

Some of the money for the photos is being donated by the MSLC itself, its a long story but there is some money left in the budget. The rest will be raised by charity fundraising.

Interesting to hear your thoughts., thanks for them all.

I'm going climbing now  :wave:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#319 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 11:18:12 am

I'm sure some of the photographers on here would like to help brighten up the Jessop Wing.

Were you thinking of the DFBWGC thread?  :P

Could there be a well hidden smoking area for ladies about to pop? I would rather have not seen such behaviour when in an agitated state worrying about the health of new babies. And make sure that non-pregnant smokers have to be well clear of the building entrances while working up to draining our health service - Weston Park for instance.

Technically the whole hospital site is non-smoking, but there are clearly a lot of people who choose to ignore this and it doesn't seem to be anyone's responsibility to enforce this.

fatkid2000

• junky
#320 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 12:15:49 pm
One of my partners spent 2 years working in Africa - can't remember the exact place, but somewhere sub-Saharan.

The maternal and neonatal death rate was 50% plus. Now there are shit loads of factors for this. What it does tell you that a lot of Mothers need medical intervention to save themselves or their child. Midwives see themselves as independent I.e not working under the medics as most nursing staff do. I worked there several years ago and Mothers are made to feel a failure if any type of intervention happens - epidural /section etc

I agree with fatdoc the NHS is fucked. There are 2 unstable NHS trusts in S.Yorks alone.
For the first time in ten years post qualification I doubt the NHS will be here as it currently stands in 10 years. It's a crying shame - but it's been abused politically and by the public.
The NHS is facing cuts - don't believe it's been ring fenced. Wait times are up -routine neurology wait 16 week, Gynae- 12+ weeks, cardiology 10+ weeks, physio 12 weeks. It's at breaking point and I hear stories like mid-staffs on a daily basis.

If I phone a consultant and they agree to see a patient in their next clinic they can't book the appointment it has to go through some management office!

The government is bring in more target shit - from April I'm suppose to ask every 60 year old that I see if they can get an erection - what aloud of shit.

andy_e

• forum hero
#321 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 12:22:58 pm
Including women?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#322 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 12:37:24 pm
 :lol:

Yep, it means the GPs hit that target... As it were.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#323 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 12:44:28 pm
The last two User Consultations we have done showed over 80% satisfaction overall. This could definitely be improved, but there is also a lot of good stuff going on.

It definitely needs to be improved. 80% means 1 in 5 people aren't satisfied - thats quite a lot

ianv

• forum abuser
#324 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2013, 12:45:06 pm
The government is bring in more target shit - from April I'm suppose to ask every 60 year old that I see if they can get an erection - what aloud of shit.

If not, what happens. Do you have to prescribe him a copy of razzle or something? or it it ok to just  :lol: :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal