UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 243258 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#225 Re: gooDADvice
March 05, 2011, 09:59:06 pm
More a question for the docs than the dads, but seeing as most on here are both..

Kyle has MMR jab booked for this afternoon, but developed conjunctivitis on Tuesday had to stay at home Wednesday and has antibiotic drops from the doc. Eyes seem to have cleared up now, but still on the drops.

Is this any reason to delay him getting the injections? I know it not a good idea to let him have innoculations unless he is healthy? Otherwise he is fine, apart from the usual snotty nose. Are we just being paranoid?

Appreciated that this is just opinion and won't hold anyone to it.

Thanks
cold tea bags to wipe the eye clean of crap , repeat until clears up, Ludo had it the other week

get in, you have actually listened to mrs FD ( old vet's trick)

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#226 Re: gooDADvice
April 11, 2011, 11:12:00 pm
Any tips on how to survive the 4 month growth spurt, i mean, seriously 8 or 9 times a night getting unsettled, it's enough to drive you insane, then wide awake and smiles at half five. I despair, nevermind Mrs rginns !!! :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#227 Re: gooDADvice
April 12, 2011, 08:52:31 am
Try feed/nappychange/feed? Feed him until he gets a bit dozy and drifting off, then do a nappy change to give him a bit of a wake up (even if you don't need to, cold baby wipe on the bum is enough to wake up anyone) and then feed again before putting back to sleep. Clusterfeed (every 30-45mins) for the few hours before bed to get him right filled up. Or you could try bedtime formula which apparently keeps them filled up a bit longer.

Alternatively it could be a bit more complex and every time the little one half wakes up at the end of a sleep cycle he could have a dependency on being fed before can go back to sleep. You might need to break that association and start teaching him to "self settle".

There's some useful stuff here

http://www.thesleepstore.co.nz/Sleep+Information/Babies+4+to+12+months.html

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#228 Re: gooDADvice
April 12, 2011, 11:15:03 am
cheers
we were waking up then refeeding before,  but she started to settle (albeit for only 2 or 3 hours) so we stopped that. Maybe time to start that, and clusterfeeding again too.
Definitely think you could be right on the dependency on a feed at night, she only settles when fed...
Good link too.. think it's the long haul
hmmm.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#229 Re: gooDADvice
April 12, 2011, 11:33:11 am
TBH waking up hungry 8 or 9 times in the night is highly unlikley even during a growth spurt IMO.

Short term grief might be necessary for long term benefit all round. Like you say - it's a long haul.

Does she sleep with a comfort blanket or similar, or is she sucking thumb to sooth herself? There things are useful for removing yourselves from the equation when it comes to sleep props.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#230 Re: gooDADvice
April 12, 2011, 11:47:14 am
wean her.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#231 Re: gooDADvice
April 12, 2011, 11:11:56 pm
Going to wean straight onto solids at 6 months so not really an option at present.
I think you're right Chris, its not about the food, more about the comfort, self settling is the longer term answer, although we move house on Thursday so think we'll start that next week!
I like to think its just a phase, but then, everything is at this age isn't it!
Cheers!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#232 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 09:49:35 am

Good or Bad, everything's just a phase.

We weaned straight to solids at 6 months too, skipped all that applying gloop and mush to his face in the offchance he might actually swallow some of it, really worked for us.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#233 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 11:14:43 am
Ludo weaned at 4+ months as he was starving....go with the flow not the plan!

dave

#234 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 12:10:21 pm

Good or Bad, everything's just a phase.

We weaned straight to solids at 6 months too, skipped all that applying gloop and mush to his face in the offchance he might actually swallow some of it, really worked for us.

Ditto. He's a really good eater now. The baby led weaning shit was a winner. Although don't expect miracles overnight, ours was still primarily getting his mojo from milk for several months after starting with solids at the 6month point. FOod is just something to play with and explore at that stage.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#235 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 12:24:06 pm
FOod is just something to play with and explore at that stage.

Still have fun experimenting with food today, although I suspect in a different context.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#236 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 12:25:01 pm

And make as much mess as possible with.

dave

#237 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 12:30:57 pm

Still have fun experimenting with food today, although I suspect in a different context.

Look, what you get up to with a cucumber and a jar of mayo is your own business. Lets leave it as that.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#238 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 12:32:40 pm
Going to wean straight onto solids at 6 months so not really an option at present.
I think you're right Chris, its not about the food, more about the comfort, self settling is the longer term answer, although we move house on Thursday so think we'll start that next week!
Cheers!

why not just get it started then?

fatkid2000

• junky
#239 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 02:31:59 pm
Just start weaning - we had to at 4 months due to a starving boy, who's off the top of the growth charts.

The most recent advice from The College of Child Health supports earlier weaning - although this will change back to 6 I expect in the future.

You can't plan things - and I doubt you'll have a smooth transition straight onto solids.
Our boy has a combination of Baby led stuff and purees. If he baby led himself for all his food he'd be eating all day as he gets distracted / bored - and never meet his calorie needs.

Monk

• regular
#240 Re: gooDADvice
April 13, 2011, 03:39:14 pm
cheers
we were waking up then refeeding before,  but she started to settle (albeit for only 2 or 3 hours) so we stopped that. Maybe time to start that, and clusterfeeding again too.
Definitely think you could be right on the dependency on a feed at night, she only settles when fed...
Good link too.. think it's the long haul
hmmm.

My daughter is a rubbish sleeper. She didn't sleep through until she was about 14 months, and even now (20 months) sleeping through is only about 8-10 hours rather than the recommended 12. For some reason she doesn't want as much sleep as other kids. 2-3 hours was a good stretch for her, and she normally ended up in our bed, just so we got some sleep. In the end we got fed up with being nice to her and got mean. Unfortunately, that meant I had to do all the work as mum meant food. After about 3 days of me putting her back to sleep all through the night, she eventually cracked and started sleeping much better. She hasn't had a night-time feed since. Admittedly, she's older than yours who will probably still want a feed, but I wish that I'd taken the tough approach earlier with mine.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#241 Re: gooDADvice
April 14, 2011, 01:36:14 pm
Mind control!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#242 Re: gooDADvice
April 16, 2011, 11:52:32 pm
¡ De puta madre! Qué gracioso.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#243 Re: gooDADvice
April 19, 2011, 03:37:39 pm

My daughter is a rubbish sleeper. She didn't sleep through until she was about 14 months, and even now (20 months) sleeping through is only about 8-10 hours rather than the recommended 12. For some reason she doesn't want as much sleep as other kids. 2-3 hours was a good stretch for her, and she normally ended up in our bed, just so we got some sleep. In the end we got fed up with being nice to her and got mean. Unfortunately, that meant I had to do all the work as mum meant food. After about 3 days of me putting her back to sleep all through the night, she eventually cracked and started sleeping much better. She hasn't had a night-time feed since. Admittedly, she's older than yours who will probably still want a feed, but I wish that I'd taken the tough approach earlier with mine.

This sleeping totally sounds like ours, still, not ready to get mean yet though, 
will probably start on a combination of solids and milk in a month or so, and I'm sure it'll not be straightforward, but I'd rather be mopping food up off the floor rather than spoonfeeding forever and a day. Each to their own I guess... let's not open that can of... :worms:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#244 Re: gooDADvice
June 27, 2011, 10:41:40 am
http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/10477/cd5dedcc770e8e057f5ee6b7a29daf73

If anyone plans on doing walks with kids in backpacks in colder weather, these are great. Girlie colours only, and not suitable for walking in, but really toasty.

rich d

• forum hero
#245 Re: gooDADvice
June 30, 2011, 01:57:08 pm
Thinking of taking the two girls (aged 5 and 2) camping for the first time this weekend. Got the gear even borrowed a big tent. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for family friendly campsites within an hour and a half or so from Nottingham/Derby?
Cheers Rich

SA Chris

• forum hero
#246 Re: gooDADvice
October 07, 2011, 01:11:51 pm
I've never had flu vaccines in the past, but thinking about doing it this winter to protect the wee man from getting any illnesses off me. What's the medical pros' view on this? Or is it better to just let nature take it's course?

Oh, and if anyone is looking for something for a 1-2 year old, get a Scuttlebug if you haven't already. He lives on his, robust and packs down flat to fit in suitcase, bouldering mat, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mookie-Scuttlebug-Beetle-Trike-Black/dp/B002KKC6BE

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#247 Re: gooDADvice
October 07, 2011, 02:04:55 pm
I'm not a medical professional, but....

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#248 Re: gooDADvice
October 07, 2011, 08:26:44 pm
The advice is still only for at-risk groups. This doesn't include little ones, unless they fall into the at-risk group, like asthma and so on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#249 Re: gooDADvice
October 08, 2011, 10:13:05 pm
Yeah, my thoughts too. The only thing he is ever at risk of is drowining in his own snot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal