• fat and weak but with good footwork.
#175 Re: gooDADvice
April 15, 2010, 08:16:35 am
Err are these the homeopathic ones with added placebo? :oops:

nik at work

• forum hero
#176 Re: gooDADvice
April 15, 2010, 08:19:16 am
We used Nelsons also. T'was bon, comes in little paper wrappers very old skool.

I don't think it's homeopathic but I believe it is herbal.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#177 Re: gooDADvice
April 15, 2010, 08:24:05 am
We tried teething powders, not sure which, and they didn't seem to work for ours.  Although Blob 1 had all her teeth by about 9 months anyway so teething didn't last long.  We stuck to paracetmaol/ibuprofen.
And don't forget Nelson's contain lactose.  And it's scientifically proven to be homeopathic, Nik.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#178 Re: gooDADvice
April 15, 2010, 11:06:32 am
homeopathic ones with added placebo?
Foolish babies, always falling for the old placebo trick!  ::)  ;)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#179 Re: gooDADvice
April 15, 2010, 07:43:27 pm
who gives a shit for the randomised, two arm controlled trial at 3 in the morning..

opinion was sought, and given.

I'm telling you this shit works.

word.
 :wave:

Palomides

• forum abuser
#180 Re: gooDADvice
April 18, 2010, 09:09:12 pm
homeopathic ones with added placebo?
Foolish babies, always falling for the old placebo trick!  ::)  ;)

It's more that if the person giving the treatment thinks its going to work, their behaviour can influence the patient - this s why proper trials are "double blind" so that neither the preconceived ideas of the patient or the person administering can change the result (i think)

However, if it's to calm babies, then bring it on. Anything that works is good.

Also, on a slightly different note, I'd like to remind all parents to keep the boxes. They often provide more entertainment than the contents. My two offspring have spent the past few weeks taking turns to sleep inside a large flatpack sofa box. Adorable and mental at the same time. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#181 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 02:54:14 pm
Anyone else's nippers snub purees and spoonfeeding? K hates both and went straight to trying to feed himself. Makes life a lot easier, but a lot messier.

Any advice on how to stop him either

a) smacking the spoon on the feeding tray as soon as he has any food in it so it sprays the general area or
b) smacking any food on the feeding tray to a pulp before trying to eat it.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#182 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 03:08:12 pm
'Baby-led weaning' = plastic sheeting, lots of it. It's messy round our house at meal times these days. What particularly frustrates me is that she will refuse food from my hand - but if she picks it up herself will scoff it happily. Bossy little so-and-so. >:(

Dolly

• forum hero
#183 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 03:12:45 pm
Well our 3 have been different in this regard but a few things seem to make a difference.

Its makes a big difference if they're a) hungry but not too hungry/tired b) love the food they're about to eat -  so varying times might change something ?
For the 2 girls,  not making a fuss when they bashed,  but just taking the food away seemed to work (not all the time but enough to make a difference) whereas it didn't make any difference to my son.

I think how easy it is to chew makes a difference, as our youngest won't make any effort to chew anything, despite having plenty of teeth. I think she just thinks its too much effort - even though she's prepared to bash away for ages.  As long as isn't then rewarded by getting milk so she doesn't go hungry she'll reluctantly start chewing a little more if we don't appear to be looking. I don't know if its worth experimenting with foods of different chewiness to see if that makes a difference to the bashing to a pulp thing ?

I know there's nothing particularly earth shattering in what I've written Chris, but might be worth a try 

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#184 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 04:22:16 pm
Cant offer anything here as Ludo took to feeding pretty well. Puree's were no problem, still not really into lumps though! Ang has found it easier to introduce new stuff, lumpier food/new tastes at lunchtime rather than teatime when he can be moody/tired and refuse to eat new stuff. Have to say he is abit like his dad, greedy!
Roasted sweet potato goes down a storm!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#185 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 04:32:32 pm
Roasted sweet potato goes down a storm!

That goes down a storm in ours as well.  Except with me, where it comes back with a gush.  Foul slimy crap, yuck.

Chris, banging of utensils isn't easily solved and you may be better covering the floor.  The other option is to say "no" and if they continue take it all away.  Takes a bit of learning though.  Depends how much your Persian rug cost you.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#186 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 04:49:38 pm
Sounds common then.

We have given up on the plastic sheeting (too much hassle to clean) and just use newspaper, which then goes in the recycling. Usually time meals to about an hour after a milk feed, so he is hungry but not beating down the door. Definitely eats more at lunch than breakfast or dinner though.

He seems to go for the chewier the better option and if it's something he really likes he will eat out of my hand if it's too tricky to pick up, just doesn't like the spoon being put in his mouth.

Anything that needs spooning we go for the two spoon method, one for him to play with, and one to feed him with. Every time he opens his mouth to bit his spoon some food goes in. Probably cheating but seems to work, esp with yoghurt and cauliflower cheese (a firm favourite).

Steamed sweet potato sticks go down a storm, along with steamed swede (ew), parsnip, and baby corn. Sticks of cheddar go down well, but are avoided just before bed! Pasta twists with a bit of sauce on go down well too.

Fruit, mango seems to be tops, as well as pear and tangerine segments. Papaya was popular a week ago, but seems to get snubbed now.

And nappy changing is no longer a doddle. That's not baby shit anymore!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#187 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 05:23:50 pm

Any advice on how to stop him either

a) smacking the spoon on the feeding tray as soon as he has any food in it so it sprays the general area or
b) smacking any food on the feeding tray to a pulp before trying to eat it.

Polly was less inclined to chuck food or smash it if there is less in front of her. No idea why. Just one or two mouthfulls/handfulls in front of her at a time. She is now much better at having a proper platefull in front of her.

fatkid2000

• junky
#188 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 08:19:03 pm
'Baby-led weaning' = plastic sheeting, lots of it. It's messy round our house at meal times these days. What particularly frustrates me is that she will refuse food from my hand - but if she picks it up herself will scoff it happily. Bossy little so-and-so. >:(

Some mates of ours who are paediatric trainees and our doing the baby led weaning thing & it's pretty cool to watch.
http://babyledweaning.com/

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#189 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 09:11:37 pm
Thanks for the link. Will be looking into that some more.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#190 Re: gooDADvice
July 26, 2010, 09:33:01 pm
There was a free condensed version of the book free with one of the recent mags.

We are kind of doing it, but not following it to the letter; ie always let them pick up their own food, never try and put a spoon in their mouth etc. Also one of the key things they recommend is that the baby sits at the table with you and watches you eat, which is impossible for us due to time getting home from work.

Apparently people were concerned about increase in gagging and choking due to introducing more solid foods sooner.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#191 Re: gooDADvice
October 01, 2010, 04:04:54 pm
cxbnnnnnn nlk;;;;;;;;;;;m.///''''''''oopok,ldf$eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex

,.[]p;p[;'''''lllllllllllllllll, mn'

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999olp;''''''''''9o''dcxcvbK/LKMM KL454444444444edo/cv

Kyle's first ukb post

joeb

• addict
#192 Re: gooDADvice
October 01, 2010, 04:33:10 pm
makes more sense than the significant repeats thread currently does.  :wave:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#193 Re: gooDADvice
October 01, 2010, 06:41:57 pm
And more sense than most of the bollocks I post. He was happily smacking the keyboard while I was trying to type something, guess he thought he wanted to have his say.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#194 Re: gooDADvice
October 01, 2010, 07:10:19 pm
cxbnnnnnn nlk;;;;;;;;;;;m.///''''''''oopok,ldf$eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex

,.[]p;p[;'''''lllllllllllllllll, mn'

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999olp;''''''''''9o''dcxcvbK/LKMM KL454444444444edo/cv

Kyle's first ukb post

Tsk, tsk, and posting from someone else's account.

Get him registered, he'll be the youngest forum member.  :P

ben

• obsessive maniac
#195 Re: gooDADvice
November 15, 2010, 04:04:28 pm
Just to re-instate this thread.  I am now an official member of the dad club and will be in the Peak next for a holiday en famille, staying near Bakewell.

Plan plenty of solo bouldering outings but wanted to know any good recommendations for buggy friendly walks that aren't too tame (have the P&T model mentioned above so doesn't need to be smooth tarmac..) - ideally with a decent baby friendly pub at some point along the way..

I guess I can wheel the buggy along to trackside.. most others might be a hassle

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#196 Re: gooDADvice
November 15, 2010, 06:26:45 pm
Congratulations!  :thumbsup:

We always favoured the sling over the buggy to get to any climbing areas, as you say trackside is about the only accessible place.

I think there are a couple of books you can get with buggy-friendly walks in the Peak; it's probably worth trying to get hold of one of these so you don't end up faced with awkward stiles and stuff when you think you're going on a buggy-friendly path!

Enjoy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#197 Re: gooDADvice
November 15, 2010, 07:45:09 pm
Nice one ben.

Announcements page is here http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8014.125.html

Unless you don't believe s/he (what flavour anyway?) has wad potential?

Have you started shaping a grom board yet?

When are you heading peakward? Interested to hear about child friendly accomodation in the area, as we plan doing similar late winter / early spring.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#198 Re: gooDADvice
November 15, 2010, 08:02:49 pm
Have you started shaping a grom board yet?

When are you heading peakward? Interested to hear about child friendly accomodation in the area, as we plan doing similar late winter / early spring.

missed the word week out of my post, going next week, just in time for rain/cold/snow by the sounds of it. We're staying in a self catering cottage in Ashford-in-the-Water, will let you know how child friendly it is.

no grom board yet, but he does have a wetsuit!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#199 Re: gooDADvice
November 15, 2010, 08:20:55 pm
Congratulations  :thumbsup:

I guess I can wheel the buggy along to trackside..

I have been known to take the travel cot to Trackside and Rubicon to keep the little one safe and cleanish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal