UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 240006 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#800 Re: gooDADvice
August 22, 2020, 02:38:28 pm
This - some Brands of AB’s taste minging - but others seem fine.

Though given what your kid had it may well be that they’re strong ones rather than the usual toddler chest infection jobs?

We’ve had this before from a youngish doctor - and now question which one they’re prescribing us.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#801 Re: gooDADvice
August 22, 2020, 04:41:14 pm
This - some Brands of AB’s taste minging - but others seem fine.

Though given what your kid had it may well be that they’re strong ones rather than the usual toddler chest infection jobs?

We’ve had this before from a youngish doctor - and now question which one they’re prescribing us.

It’s been a while, but we used to mix it up with some squash. Summer fruits worked best, even with citrus medicines. That was in the Sippy cup era.

Later, we shifted to “take it or else, ya little tosser!”

Which also worked.

The eldest tells me she’s already selected my care home.

In Siberia.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#802 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2020, 08:23:44 am
Can't remember which, but I think the yellow stuff we've managed with OK in the past, been prescribed the pink stuff and neither would touch it (I did have a dab taste, and to be fair i would have struggled to swallow it, it's vile). Each time we've taken it back and changed it.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#803 Re: gooDADvice
August 27, 2020, 08:14:55 pm
Thanks for advice all.

In the end we got it down from an hour of battle and spitting medicine out to drinking it up after about 5 minutes of protest.

2 tricks. One was to serve medicine before food, and he wasn't allowed his food until he finished his medicine! This felt very cruel to begin with but actually I'm convinced the medicine didn't actually taste that bad and once he got his head round it this worked really well. The second trick was to dilute the medicine but only slightly, so it could be finished in 3 good sips. This way we were able to say only one more sip and get it finished pretty quickly.

All seems better now thank goodness. It's horrible when the little ones get ill isn't it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#804 Re: gooDADvice
August 27, 2020, 09:16:14 pm
If they are very young, just be aware the first course of antibiotics can wreak havoc with their guts, we got the first experience of "shit so hard and runny it squirts up the back of nappy" after a couple of days, where the best option is a strip off and wash down with hand shower.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#805 Re: gooDADvice
August 27, 2020, 10:21:53 pm
Thanks for advice all.

In the end we got it down from an hour of battle and spitting medicine out to drinking it up after about 5 minutes of protest.

2 tricks. One was to serve medicine before food, and he wasn't allowed his food until he finished his medicine! This felt very cruel to begin with but actually I'm convinced the medicine didn't actually taste that bad and once he got his head round it this worked really well. The second trick was to dilute the medicine but only slightly, so it could be finished in 3 good sips. This way we were able to say only one more sip and get it finished pretty quickly.

All seems better now thank goodness. It's horrible when the little ones get ill isn't it!

When I posted, I actually wrote something else entirely, deleted it and settled for a dad joke.

We went through four very different experiences with each of ours when they were younger.
Oldest (girl) was incredibly cooperative from birth, still is.
My eldest boy was 5 when I arrived, but only began swallowing tablets this year (13).
The youngest two, are the same age (three weeks difference).
My boy is difficult but manageable, prone to teary tantrums and stubborn as fuck. However, if I’m firm, he will do what he’s told and then stomp off. He did then and still does now (11).
The youngest daughter, was 3 when I moved in and was, is and ever shall be; totally beyond the control of man or deity.
She does not give a fuck what anybody thinks of her, she will do as she pleases.
Ultimately, even with her, simply being firm and holding out for compliance, whilst trying not to turn into screamy sweary parent, was the only thing guaranteed to work.
What I originally wanted to say (and it’s hard, without sounding preachy and condescending) is, don’t let it become transactional.

I know, to an extent, it’s always transactional, but buying cooperation really backfired on us at one point.

It might just have been us/our child. Other people might have great success.
We didn’t.
Worse, it made the change to holding firm, harder.

I can’t articulate it well, it’s the difference between them understanding that a certain attitude and behaviour is expected from a functioning human and shouldn’t need to be purchased (?make sense?).

Edit:

I think similar issues arise across a range of scenarios that “taking the foul tasting medicine” is just one iteration.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#806 Re: gooDADvice
August 15, 2021, 03:46:53 pm
Does anybody have experience with the non sew-in name tags for school uniform? I'm tempted by iron-on or stick-on ones to save sewing time, but would obviously like to avoid endlessly redoing the job if they're always coming unstuck.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#807 Re: gooDADvice
August 15, 2021, 03:56:11 pm
Sharpie. Tbh the best labelling in the world won't prevent the Inevitable disappearance of kit.

Mind you, the iron on, stick on sew ons are easier to remove if the kids return with swag, and you're down to your last jumper...

JK

• regular
#808 Re: gooDADvice
August 15, 2021, 05:41:48 pm
We use three stick ones you get off Amazon. They are good and stay stuck on for ages. We use them on everthything like clothes, bags, shoes, water bottles etc etc

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#809 Re: gooDADvice
August 15, 2021, 05:51:33 pm
Gave up on name tags years ago, switched to laundry markers on the labels/inside collars.
From around 10/11 upwards, they grow too fast to worry about losing stuff, because you’ll be replacing it every half term anyway.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#810 Re: gooDADvice
August 16, 2021, 11:31:56 am
Does anybody have experience with the non sew-in name tags for school uniform? I'm tempted by iron-on or stick-on ones to save sewing time, but would obviously like to avoid endlessly redoing the job if they're always coming unstuck.

We use Stikins, they're excellent - really sticky, should last a full school year / till they grow out of them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#811 Re: gooDADvice
August 16, 2021, 11:50:38 am
If you buy a load of labels, put them somewhere so you remember where they are the next year #FFS.

Herbert

• regular
#812 Re: gooDADvice
August 16, 2021, 12:10:54 pm
Apologies if this is the wrong place/already covered: any recent experience of The Snip? Specifically the no scalpel/soldering iron method.

Interested in general recovery experience and reassurance that I won't have to live with chronic nut pain. Most friends/family of similar age are still producing children so it seems I'm the first in my social circle to 'go over the top'.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#813 Re: gooDADvice
August 16, 2021, 03:22:56 pm
I was looking in to this pre-COVID, and thought I'd need to get into hospital etc

I gather that certain GP's surgeries even have a clinic on a given day where you can drop in and get yourself decommissioned.

webbo

• forum hero
#814 Re: gooDADvice
August 16, 2021, 03:37:56 pm
I had the snip over twenty years ago. GP used to refer you to a private surgeon and he  did the op on what seemed like his kitchen table.
I was in the gym the next day with no after effects. You did get a nice pouch to hang your balls in with the op.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#815 Re: gooDADvice
August 16, 2021, 04:11:36 pm
You did get a nice pouch to hang your balls in with the op.

Surely that's castration?

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#816 Re: gooDADvice
August 17, 2021, 03:43:18 pm
Apologies if this is the wrong place/already covered: any recent experience of The Snip? Specifically the no scalpel/soldering iron method.

Interested in general recovery experience and reassurance that I won't have to live with chronic nut pain. Most friends/family of similar age are still producing children so it seems I'm the first in my social circle to 'go over the top'.

Had it done at the start of the year. GP referral suggested somewhere like 9 months of waiting. Private options were expensive. Ended up speaking to BPAS (Chester for me) who strangely are still NHS funded (so free operation) and have monthly appointments. Made one for the following week. Turned up, and was back out, albeit rather gingerly, a few hours later.

The op itself was just through a hole in your sack, the injection was the only bit I felt and then nothing really. Almost entirely all of the suffering was the mental part of it in the waiting room, as with most things.

I drove home myself (not advised by doc but I didn't really notice any issues - took the automatic). Did some max hangs the next morning but did feel a bit sensitive / tender for the week. Managed a couple of board sessions over the weekend. After about 7 days I ran across a car park without really thinking about it and didn't feel a thing.

Herbert

• regular
#817 Re: gooDADvice
August 17, 2021, 05:19:01 pm
Thanks all, helpful stuff. The date is booked.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#818 Re: gooDADvice
October 13, 2021, 11:07:02 am
My son (3 1/2) is not enjoying his nursery school at the moment, and I was wondering how long people considered letting this sort of situation ride before moving schools.

The background is until the beginning of this term he was really happy there and we were happy with his progress. But a big group in the year above all turned 4 and left in the summer. They were all the ones he considered his particular pals. Now he is the oldest in the school and there are only a couple of kids his age, with the majority now being a contingent of 2 year olds.

It's a Montessori nursery and small (maybe 30 kids total) - previously we really liked the mix of ages and the way he got to focus on the things that interested him most.

Now he's always saying he doesn't want to go to school and we worry that he's (a) lonely as he doesn't feel a friendship with the remaining kids his age and (b) bored because he's done everything that nursery has to offer.

He's not screaming and crying every day, just says he doesn't want to go and seems a bit subdued going in. We've raised the concern with the teachers - they all say he's fine when he's there and has lots of friends. But they're not exactly incentivised to tell us they think our kid's unhappy and we should move him to a different place.

We could pull him out for the last two terms and send him to a school nursery that will prepare him for going into reception year. I'd do it if it would guarantee he would get into one of the local schools that is very good. But it doesn't. And it will be disruptive to move him and considerably more faff in the morning. His current nursery is very conveniently located a 5 minute walk away and at least he's used to it.

Has anyone else had a similar situation, any advice?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#819 Re: gooDADvice
October 13, 2021, 11:25:52 am
Have all his "pals" gone to school nurseries?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#820 Re: gooDADvice
October 13, 2021, 11:28:53 am
My son (3 1/2) is not enjoying his nursery school at the moment, and I was wondering how long people considered letting this sort of situation ride before moving schools.

The background is until the beginning of this term he was really happy there and we were happy with his progress. But a big group in the year above all turned 4 and left in the summer. They were all the ones he considered his particular pals. Now he is the oldest in the school and there are only a couple of kids his age, with the majority now being a contingent of 2 year olds.

It's a Montessori nursery and small (maybe 30 kids total) - previously we really liked the mix of ages and the way he got to focus on the things that interested him most.

Now he's always saying he doesn't want to go to school and we worry that he's (a) lonely as he doesn't feel a friendship with the remaining kids his age and (b) bored because he's done everything that nursery has to offer.

He's not screaming and crying every day, just says he doesn't want to go and seems a bit subdued going in. We've raised the concern with the teachers - they all say he's fine when he's there and has lots of friends. But they're not exactly incentivised to tell us they think our kid's unhappy and we should move him to a different place.

We could pull him out for the last two terms and send him to a school nursery that will prepare him for going into reception year. I'd do it if it would guarantee he would get into one of the local schools that is very good. But it doesn't. And it will be disruptive to move him and considerably more faff in the morning. His current nursery is very conveniently located a 5 minute walk away and at least he's used to it.

How does he act on leaving? Does he come out unhappy?

We’ve been fight this with our youngest since around that age. She’ll be 13 next month, she’s still doing it.
Claims she hates school, all the teachers, all the lessons, all the other kids.
She’ll even claim she has no friends.

In the morning, when she has to go.

She comes home, happy as a pig in shit.

She’s constantly on FaceTime with school friends in the evening or off out on her bike to play footy in the park etc.
She’s currently sitting at 7th in her year, academically (2nd in Maths), all the teachers think she’s fantastic and the PE dept are on her back constantly to play on every team going.

That is absolutely not how she would describe her school career, at all. Monday mornings can involve immense tantrums, with kicking walls and breakages etc.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#821 Re: gooDADvice
October 13, 2021, 11:55:12 am
Have all his "pals" gone to school nurseries?

His best mate moved away. His other friends have gone into different schools reception years. He's just a year younger so can't go with any of them.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#822 Re: gooDADvice
October 13, 2021, 12:01:03 pm

We’ve been fight this with our youngest since around that age. She’ll be 13 next month, she’s still doing it.

She’s constantly on FaceTime with school friends in the evening or off out on her bike to play footy in the park etc.
She’s currently sitting at 7th in her year, academically (2nd in Maths), all the teachers think she’s fantastic and the PE dept are on her back constantly to play on every team going.

That is absolutely not how she would describe her school career, at all. Monday mornings can involve immense tantrums, with kicking walls and breakages etc.

Thanks for this Matt! Hard to tell, he's certainly not subdued when he comes home, seems pretty happy, tears around with loads of energy. The teachers always give him glowing reports. I sometimes think he is more frenetic on a school day and not his true self, but in fairness you can't be your full self at school and so it makes sense if he needs to act out a bit or blow off some steam. I sympathise with my son and your daughter, I did well at school and still have a good set of friends that I keep in regular touch with, but I don't think I ever really liked going either!

Durbs

• forum hero
#823 Re: gooDADvice
October 13, 2021, 12:18:05 pm

Thanks for this Matt! Hard to tell, he's certainly not subdued when he comes home, seems pretty happy, tears around with loads of energy. The teachers always give him glowing reports. I sometimes think he is more frenetic on a school day and not his true self, but in fairness you can't be your full self at school and so it makes sense if he needs to act out a bit or blow off some steam. I sympathise with my son and your daughter, I did well at school and still have a good set of friends that I keep in regular touch with, but I don't think I ever really liked going either!

We only had one bad experience with a nursey, started similar, though our daughter was younger at the time, but when we asked her what she did all day, she'd usually reply "Waiting for mummy to pick me up".  Tears at drop off, and the red flag for us was, no staff member would come and comfort, or even welcome her into class.

Handover at end of day was always positive, but it didn't match up with what we saw and our daughter reported. Small things like they wouldn't really be specific either about what they'd done, just didn't sit right with us.

We'd been getting a bit miffed with the nursery anyway, new management, new team, high staff turnover (always a bad sign), and eventually we actually changed nursery, where she was MUCH happier, and subsequently sent our son to as well.

In this new nursery, our son (just turned 4), usually says "I don't want to go to nursery" first thing in the morning when he asks what day it is, and we tell him to get dressed etc, but as soon as he's in the trailer/car, he never complains, and always waltzes in without a care in the world.

So the recent stuff, we ignore, as he basically doesn't want the faff, but enjoys his time - the first one was very obvious our daughter wasn't happy at nursery and they weren't doing a good job.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#824 Re: gooDADvice
November 20, 2021, 09:05:15 am
I have just returned from a couple of days at Britannia Royal Naval College, in Dartmouth (I had to draw uniform and get a quick orientation (supposed to be two weeks, done in ~8 hrs)).

I was introduced to the current class of Officer Cadets, drinks in the Gun Room, dinner in Dartmouth, type of stuff.

I’ve had to pause and take stock of my own relationship with my children.

Mainly that the term “children” is becoming redundant much faster than I had appreciated and I’m actually guilty of infantilising them.

The Cadets ranged in age from 17 to 57 (that’s not a typo. Fellow was a Chartered Surveyor in the City, got bored and threw it all up for a bit of adventure. Reckoned he was already financially secure, so why not).

Thing is, I couldn’t tell which one the 17 year old was. There were two 19 year olds in the group too (most ranged from 25-35, post grads and a couple who’d tried “work” and didn’t enjoy it much).

Here they were, six weeks into training, a clearly cohesive and high functioning team, no obvious tensions (~50/50 Male/Female) and I couldn’t tell who the teenagers were. They were just out there, being all adulty and stuff.

The youngest only 12 months older than my eldest.

I’m not sure how I got here, because I was still looking at my 16 year old, very much as a child.

It’s daft, because at 16, I was allowed to go off on holiday, alone, with my then Girlfriend (cottage in Llanwrst, hiking and climbing) for the long summer after “O” Levels.

Is it just me? Or does society infantilise teens now?

My Oldman reminded me that he left Buckfastleigh to attend college in Bristol (Engineering Apprentice with Centrax) at 15. Living in digs in the City for three years.

Anyway, it’s like seeing my eldest through a new lens. Pride with a strong hint of bereavement.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal