UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 242197 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#675 Re: gooDADvice
July 28, 2017, 01:32:39 pm
I'd be surprised if garden trampolines weren't #2 on that list then!

I though they were #1 cause of A & E visits.
Quite.

We know a couple, both GPs who have told their kids in no uncertain terms they can pretty much anything else for birthdays etc but a garden trampoline is never gonna happen.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

dave

#676 gooDADvice
July 28, 2017, 01:52:46 pm
I must have missed this thing where having stair gates means your kids don't learn how to do stairs. Absolute bollocks. Are the people coming up with this anti-vaxers too by any chance!  Kids with gates still use the stairs, just under appropriate supervision.

Same argument would be to not put a fire guard around a fire cos it stops your kids from learning how to deal with serious burns.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#677 Re: gooDADvice
July 28, 2017, 03:17:20 pm
Kids with gates still use the stairs, just under appropriate supervision.

Same argument would be to not put a fire guard around a fire cos it stops your kids from learning how to deal with serious burns.

I think I have heard some people say something very similar to this.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#678 Re: gooDADvice
July 28, 2017, 04:08:00 pm
[quote author=tommytwotone link=topic=13237.msg555352#msg555352
We know a couple, both GPs who have told their kids in no uncertain terms they can pretty much anything else for birthdays etc but a garden trampoline is never gonna happen.
[/quote]

However, given the sample of friends we know with kids, there have been no incidents of tramopline related injury, in spite of most of them having one / access to one. Most common injuries seem to be related to snow / sledging / ice slips, slides and trips. I accept the is may be restricted to Scotland though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#679 Re: gooDADvice
July 28, 2017, 04:13:15 pm
Ooh! I missed the debate!

Big thanks to Murph who bought along a couple of no longer needed stairgates to Rubicon today.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#680 Re: gooDADvice
July 28, 2017, 04:24:45 pm
[quote author=tommytwotone link=topic=13237.msg555352#msg555352

However, given the sample of friends we know with kids, there have been no incidents of tramopline related injury, in spite of most of them having one / access to one. Most common injuries seem to be related to snow / sledging / ice slips, slides and trips. I accept the is may be restricted to Scotland though.
[/quote]

Yep.
We have one, we  all climb, mountain bike, kayak (sea and ww) etc and even though the dog ate the safety netting three years ago; all our A&E trips and broken limbs have been Football injuries.
Apart from one notable Skateboard/shin interaction which still carries the family stitches record (non-surgical).
However, I recognise this is much akin to my kids favourite response to my desperate cry of "GET DOWN FROM THERE BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELVES !"; which is "but I haven't yet".

tomtom

• forum hero
#681 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2017, 09:37:38 am
A quick medicine administration question or two.. 

TT jnr has tonsillitis 3 weeks after his chest infection :( and we've been given oral AB's to give him (he's 13 months). For his chest infection the AB's tasted ok - but these ones are MINGING. I tried a drop and it was vile - so administering his drugs is not good (oral syringe rather than spoon)...

2q's - are there different 'brands'/mixes of penicillin and some will taste a better than others (so I can ask the pharmacist and if necessary go else where next time around) - If so which are best...

Q2 - any nice ways of delivering the foul medicine other than the calpol syringe in the cheek method? This stuff is so vile tasting (it's bright red) that you'd need to dilute/mix it with a fuck tonne of yoghurt (etc..) to mask its evilness..   

galpinos

• forum hero
#682 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2017, 10:30:10 am
What exactly have you got? Amoxicillin? Izzy has just has a two week course for her pneumonia and it seems to go down fine but I'm sure we've had a red version that was a total fight.

No decent technique advice  apart from the squirt and hope......

tomtom

• forum hero
#683 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2017, 10:40:54 am
I think the first stuff was amoxycillin (creamy coloured) the bright red stuff we have now is phenoxymethylpenicillin...

galpinos

• forum hero
#684 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2017, 11:10:33 am
That's the same stuff Amelie and Laura had for strep throat which is why you've got it for tonsillitis I assume. They are both penecillin based but no idea why one is better for chests and the other for strep. I could ask Laura this evening.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#685 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2017, 11:17:54 am
If the kid won't take one, tell them and get another. We've had to do the same, some are utterly rank, i wouldn't be able to take them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#686 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2017, 12:35:03 pm
I might try that.. take the bottle back..

tomtom

• forum hero
#687 Re: gooDADvice
August 24, 2017, 06:03:56 pm
Ok - so pharmacy didn't have any alternative flavour etc.. so had to go back to the doctors (walk in clinic) and have another consult with a doctor (90 min wait) where they wrote me an alternative scrip for the AB he'd had earlier in the year.

I had to go to three pharmacys to get it though!! Quite an afternoon. Thanks for all the advice - a good result.

tomtom

• forum hero
#688 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 07:54:29 am
A Q for those who have travelled (flown) much with their little one(s) -  *we have not yet..*

We've a family do in Morocco Easter 2018 - over Easter Weekend so flights are always going to be expensive etc..

There are two options for us
(a) Ryanair from Liverpool... 06:30 flight there, 10am flight back etc.. (£580 with all the bags and shit) eek...
(b) EasyJet from Manc... 16:30 flight there, 18:55 flight back (£790 all in - big eek...)...

Manchester is miles easier (10 min down the road) but getting to ScouseAirport isnt too bad esp at that time of the morning etc.. so my main Q is - for any seasoned child travellers: Are we better flying early and having a lively toddler on the flight (he'll be 20 months by then) or flying late and having a potentially sleepy or/and grumpy toddler on the flight (3.5 hours fly time..)..

dave

#689 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 08:23:19 am
Personally I'd go with a flight at a sensible daytime time. Unless you have a kid who's regularly up and ready to roll at 3am.

tomtom

• forum hero
#690 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 08:28:18 am
Personally I'd go with a flight at a sensible daytime time. Unless you have a kid who's regularly up and ready to roll at 3am.

At the moment he's ready to roll every two hours throughout the night :D

Point taken though...

galpinos

• forum hero
#691 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 09:06:39 am
Depends how well they sleep. I've had a couple of lovely flights when my eldest slept on my wife whilst I watched the in flight movie!

To de honest, it's much of a muchness. Some kids seem to travel ok (mine have been reasonably easy though the youngest is displaying pesky tendancies), some are just a pain.

Remember to pack the ipad full of CBeebies downloads and headphones. The other thing that I think are great for that age are the crayola drawing packs that the colour is in the page, not the pen. They have a set of pens that have coloured tops but the nibs are all white. They get to colour in without the stress of them decorating you and/or the plane as well.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#692 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 09:29:28 am
Yeah, what ever you do is as likely as the other to be the wrong/right thing.

A key tip that worked well for us is to have a new thing to do for every 15 mins of the flight. Don't have to be massive things, but enough to keep them occupied/diverted.

T_B

• forum hero
#693 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 10:16:44 am
The Manc return flight is just as bad as the early flight out of Liverpool, given that it's a 4-hour flight. Child will be knackered on return.

Air Moroc to Casablanca?

Mrs T_B flew to Australia when our youngest was 21 months. It wasn't as bad as expected. Lots of comics, toys etc.

nik at work

• forum hero
#694 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 12:03:09 pm
In my experience manchester is a far shitter airport than liverpool.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#695 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 05:08:10 pm
We flew to Alps with our 2, 1.5 and 4. Son (4) sat with iPad for whole flight, didn't stir. Daughter (1.5) was like a kangaroo on speed, would not sit down, looking over seats, bothering everyone, wanting to go up and down aisle, flush toilet, etc etc. Seriously would not sit still, until she sat on my lap to land where she promptly fell asleep and had to be carried through customs, luggage collection, picking up hire car, and woke up again as we got onto autoroute.

In summary; doesn't matter what you plan for them, just do what's easiest / cheapest for you, as it may be a piece of piss or a nightmare.

Handy to have a bottle for them to suck on while taking off to help their ears to equalise the pressure though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#696 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 05:50:19 pm
Thanks All.

TB - has to be to Marrakesh....

Nik - the big advantage of Manc is my record from wheels on ground to bum on my sofa is 25min....

Comforting to know there is not a best option (seriously - that helps). We’re meeting up with 12 other people there so it may well come down to when they are going etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#697 Re: gooDADvice
October 02, 2017, 06:01:35 pm
Thanks All.

TB - has to be to Marrakesh....

Nik - the big advantage of Manc is my record from wheels on ground to bum on my sofa is 25min....

Comforting to know there is not a best option (seriously - that helps). We’re meeting up with 12 other people there so it may well come down to when they are going etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nik at work

• forum hero
#698 Re: gooDADvice
November 03, 2017, 05:36:53 pm
We had a family trip to Megaslam wrestling a couple of nights ago.
Oh
My
Days

This is the single greatest thing to do with kids, I had such a good time. From start to finish we were all just drawn along on this crazy spectacle of....

well I don't know really but it was brilliant.

Honestly the best however much the wife spent getting tickets she's ever spent.

Like a pantomime only AMAZING.

Big shout out to the twenty something lads behind us who clocked our young kids and so didn't swear and told all their mates to watch their language and came up with some of the most classic one line insults I've ever heard.

I cannot overstate just how brilliant an evening this was.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#699 Re: gooDADvice
November 07, 2017, 08:38:35 am
A quick medicine administration question or two.. 

Q2 - any nice ways of delivering the foul medicine other than the calpol syringe in the cheek method? This stuff is so vile tasting (it's bright red) that you'd need to dilute/mix it with a fuck tonne of yoghurt (etc..) to mask its evilness..

Realise I'm a bit late to the party on this one and hopefully small person is now all better but for next time, friends have mixed medicine into Yoghurt when kids are reluctant to take it. I say this as a parent with no medical qualifications but maybe someone on here who is qualified could say whether or not it is likely to have any negative impact on the drugs...?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal