UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 242197 times)

Duma

• forum hero
#600 Re: gooDADvice
January 19, 2017, 10:56:59 am
I had one of those ikea one's, worked well through the stages (high, low, side off) then Chloe went straight into a full size bed. The three quarter/extending ones seem a bit pointless to me.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#601 Re: gooDADvice
January 19, 2017, 12:27:44 pm
Similar experience for us, got a decent 2nd hand cot, John Lewis I think, bought a new matress for it. Once they grew out of that, skipped the whole 3/4/extending bed and went straight to single bed. Rather than sides etc if your concerned about falling out of bed 'dream tubes' are a good alternative https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hippychick-Dream-Tubes-Bed-Bumpers/dp/B001PMXD5Q
Not cheap but work well for all but the most determined sleep-crawler.

They had the added advantage of when visiting relatives etc, we just took the dream tubes sheets and pretty much any 'bed' (including tents etc) felt like their own.

tomtom

• forum hero
#602 Re: gooDADvice
January 19, 2017, 12:38:58 pm
Cheers all.

Tbh, the cot is the easy part. Getting mrsTT to clear out the 20 years of crap in the room to be jnr's is the real challenge ;)

I'm hoping that the insertion of a cot will expediate matters :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#603 Re: gooDADvice
January 19, 2017, 12:40:51 pm
had a rolled up blanket on the non-wall side under the fitted sheet as a bolster.

You can also get a long foam wedge, which seemed to work well. Bed guards seem more hassle than worth, as child will be able to climb over them and they become more of a hazard.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#604 Re: gooDADvice
January 19, 2017, 08:59:33 pm
+1 on the Ikea converta-cot-extenda-bed-thingy. I had one that did both of mine, so eldest went into a real bed @~ 3.5 years and it became a cot again. At that age they don't (as often) fall out of bed...
Much.

It is funny when they do though.

Number 3 child managed to fall out of top bunk a year or so ago. After initial "Oh Fark! What has he broken?" type panic, we swiftly moved to laughing at the confused, dazed expression of disbelief on his face.

Sympathy is replaced by merciless piss-taking, in this house; for all but injuries requiring medical intervention...

Some of those get laughed at too.

Especially eldest daughter's friction burnt bum after an ill advised go on the big drop slide at "Crealy World of Adventure", whilst wearing short shorts.
Her brothers and sister sang "This girl is on fire" all the way to hospital (and for the following two years, now, when ever she gets too cocky).

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

chris j

• forum abuser
#605 Re: gooDADvice
January 22, 2017, 05:16:21 pm
When our 2nd was born at the start of December, very shortly after our previously quite grown-up 2 year old started trying to climb into the carry-cot, sit in the baby car seat, lie down in the snuzz-pod and announced she was now to be called baby-Ta-ta (Ta-ta is how she says Katherine...) She also went from being willing to walk 10 minutes to the local shop to demanding to be picked up at any walk further than 20 yards 'because she's a little girl'. I understand this is an attention seeking thing and we try and give her as much as possible (not easy when Mum is breast feeding and K is fed up with Dad and wants Mum...). At the start it was a cute joke but is now probably the biggest pain in the bum we have to deal with (things like Lizzy has to carry #2 in the sling because K is in the pram, instead of K walking/on buggy board and #2 in the pram...).

Anyone else had this and any insights on how long it is likely to go on for?!

webbo

• forum hero
#606 Re: gooDADvice
January 22, 2017, 05:39:58 pm
With girls it is usually till they leave home.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#607 Re: gooDADvice
January 22, 2017, 05:52:59 pm
Our daughter, 2 at the time, did this after her brother was born. Her alter ego was called Baby Jack. It was annoying and after a while she stopped doing it, but god knows how long it went on for..

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#608 Re: gooDADvice
January 22, 2017, 06:04:55 pm
My youngest are virtually twins. Alex is three weeks older than Lily, both blond and blue eyed and reminiscent of each other and the "Children of the Damned/Corn". One charmed French lady referred to them as "Deux Mignonne", a few years ago (age 3) and they have been known in this house as "The Dominions" ever since...

Anyway, they're 8 now and considerably more immature than their older siblings were at the same age, emotionally and behaviourally.
Lily still wants to be carried sometimes (shoulders now) and is the one who gets up after being put to bed, cries if Mummy goes out of an evening, has to check where we are all the time etc etc. Alex, though we suspect a touch of Aspergers, is less clingy but a real handful in the "making bad decisions " department. In other words our youngest are time and attention consuming monsters.
At first, this lead to their older brother becoming quite needy too and competing for attention (Older sister already 7 when we blended, was always independent and self supported). It looked like it might be a real problem, he was five at the time and (given his father's murder two years earlier) quite vulnerable.
But, and here's the important part; it was just a phase. Not that we had a plan and more by luck than judgement; giving the elder kids more responsibility and treating them as (slightly) more grown up, really paid off. Giving them jobs (feed the dog etc) really helped, but asking them to help look after the younger ones (run their bath, fetch PJ's from the laundry, read to them type thing) and praising them for it, seemed to give them a sense of maturity....ish.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

chris j

• forum abuser
#609 Re: gooDADvice
January 23, 2017, 07:46:52 am
So my hope this will blow over in a month or so is probably optimistic?!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#610 Re: gooDADvice
January 23, 2017, 04:17:04 pm
It depends.... on the child.

Could blow over quite quickly.

Only thing I can suggest is to play on the benefits of being older and not being a baby?

Our son (on the other hand) just about ignored his sister (2.5 years younger) until she was about 6 months old and actually started interacting with him.

chris j

• forum abuser
#611 Re: gooDADvice
January 23, 2017, 06:04:35 pm
We get the outbursts of 'No mummy milk for baby Andrew' at feeding time and have to be aware Katherine doesn't casually walk over the top of him or sit on him if he's on a mat... Also if she's feeling ignored she will probably give him an extra heavy pat/borderline slap. On the other hand she can be affectionate and tries to interact when she wants. 2 year olds, what do I know...?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#612 Re: gooDADvice
January 30, 2017, 10:50:41 am
Not limited to fathers...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#613 Re: gooDADvice
February 02, 2017, 11:52:36 am
So we had the baby last night...TTT Jnr came at 9.13pm.

Another home birth, this time planned though so we had the assistance of a couple of midwives who were brilliant. Fiona chalked up another zero pain relief birth. What a beast.

No name as yet, but my suggestion of Ghostface Jerry Twotone Sparrow has so far fallen on deaf ears.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
#614 Re: gooDADvice
February 02, 2017, 12:55:16 pm
Congratulations.

I usually suggest Wolverine Optimus as first names, but no-one has agreed so far.

Otherwise adding Sparrow / My son the Watermelon at the end will do.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#615 Re: gooDADvice
February 02, 2017, 12:58:49 pm
[emoji3] A ray of sunshine for sure! Best of luck!

And,  Jean-Luc... [emoji851]

tomtom

• forum hero
#616 Re: gooDADvice
February 02, 2017, 02:50:11 pm
How about Tom? Excellent news pal - glad all well.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#617 Re: gooDADvice
February 02, 2017, 03:29:39 pm
Effort!!! Nice one  :) :beer2:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#618 Re: gooDADvice
February 05, 2017, 11:40:20 pm
Cheers all. Has been totally different to last time...this one sleeps and eats for a start.

We finally sorted a name, bit left field but we settled on Clement Stanley Sparrow.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#619 Re: gooDADvice
February 06, 2017, 09:37:26 am
 :2thumbsup:

I should have called my second 'Inclement'.

rich d

• forum hero
#620 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2017, 07:15:50 pm
Anyone got any experience of ten year olds making up ridiculous lies (at school) to try and make themselves more interesting or popular? Just been called into school about it and they had nothing useful to say.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#621 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2017, 08:26:30 pm
Anyone got any experience of ten year olds making up ridiculous lies (at school) to try and make themselves more interesting or popular? Just been called into school about it and they had nothing useful to say.

Yes.
Although younger (8).

My lad still does this, though mainly for attention or sympathy.
Unfortunately, I can't offer any solutions. I'm hoping it's going to pass.

He has the excuse of being bereaved and he certainly learned to use the "My Mummy's dead" thing to get sympathy and treats from strangers, but we think there's more to it. We're talking about this and other behaviours with an Ed Psyc as of yesterday. If the Quack comes up with any good strategies, I'll pass them on.
We just confront him with it at the moment. Works for around five minutes...

rich d

• forum hero
#622 Re: gooDADvice
February 07, 2017, 08:30:58 pm
 :thanks Mat just come to light wih our oldest. Think we might get a bit of pro advice, just hard to know if we're overreacting. School are going to do some sort of 1 to 1 thing with her.

tomtom

• forum hero
#623 gooDADvice
February 11, 2017, 08:00:54 pm
Any advice on dealing with a fevery screaming 7 month Old? Calpol got his temp down from 39 to 37.5.. but he's still pretty angry/upset....

Or is it a case of tough it out.... (for all three of us!)?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#624 Re: gooDADvice
February 11, 2017, 08:24:08 pm
You can use paracetamol (calpol) and ibuprofen alternating if the temperature isn't coming down with calpol alone. Caveat to this is that ibuprofen shouldn't be given if it is chicken pox.

Hope it helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal