UKBouldering.com

Sloper's Festive Crossword styke Cryptic Climbing Quiz. (Read 10327 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
As Falling down is a City fan I am 110% sure that every day the thought "Ferguson is a cunt" passes through FD's mind at least once. Sober or drunk.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
At what fequency 220kHz?

Sloper

• forum hero
What no answers!

I'll extend the quiz until the dog regurgitates the homework

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
OK here goes... this was really hard Slopes. Good effort pulling it together....

(Answers cut)

There's some I'm close on and some on which I'm completely stumped.

Sloper

• forum hero
So far it's a one horse race with 6 and half.

Sloper

• forum hero
Ok so here are the answers and the warped justifications for them.  I think next year I'll need to make it a bit easier.

1.   The Walk of Life, LIFFE is a trading exchange, less f is life, a walk of life.

2.    Grotto Slab Not hard, Mod, Stanage Popular End, Santa's grotto etc

3.    Batchelor's Left Hand, local to Keele BA, Soup, not right.

4.    Caesarian, Member of the Royal College of Obs & Gynaecologists, delivery C section E4

5.    E1, MRCoS is a Surgeon, leisurely walk is a saunter, Surgeon's Saunter is E1.

6.   Banana at Bowles. Peter Bowles was famous for staring in the TV sit com only when I    laugh, and fruity.

7.    Freddies Finale, Andrew Flintoff, aka Freddy Flintoff, Freddie, swansong = finale

8.   Video Nasty, Stanage

9.    Mutiny Crack. Substitute an 'I' for a 'Y' in 'in a crypt' and the anagram is Pitcairn, with the    Bounty should lead you to Mutiny, and Crack and VS should do the rest.  One of the harder    ones?

10.   Living in Oxford.  Resident = living, Basra is in Mesopotamia which is also the name of an    area in the Parks in Oxford, with arete

11.    Incantations. Defn. words spoken during a ritual, either a hymn or prayer invoking or    praising a deity also ESK capitalised and the grade.

12.   Old Faithful, Very Sound = VS; S . . .  AGE = Swanage.  Old Faithful is a Geyser, never    been let down = faithful.

13.   Culloden, the last battle on mainland Britain and the date of the FA of the route by Ben    Moon in 1990.

14.    Andy Pollitt, clue Boot Boys; real bloke's bloke = tru(e)man capote the fight about rumble in    the jungle

15.   Hunky Dory, Bowies fourth album, the end of a spliff = roach, plural ~ roaches. 

16.   Arcturus, missing out on bronze, fourth brightest = intelligent, the fourth brightest star in the    Northern sky is Arcturus.

17.   Brant. Natural fibre = bran, before time t, also the cliff of the cauldron

18.   The Marisco Tavern Lundy, Lundi has it's roots in the name for the Puffin and Swailing is    forestry term for controlled burning.

19.   Nosferatu and Bat out of Hell. Both related to vampires.

20.   Borstal Breakout. Short Sharp Shock was the policy to deal with youth crime and Jim and    Dave were the FA's. 

21.    The YDS system, take yds and add a the A from the grade and the R from right to form the    word YARDS, after all how many grading systems are there?

22.   Font(ainebleau) a gift

23.   Grand Opera, Grand Ole Opre (less the olé) and with a slightly different pronunciation.

24.   .5 gully 1 – 8 – 15 in the word order are base, rate, interest and the current BoE base rate is    .5% a historic low

25.   Help the Aged. Should be obvious

26.   Cavalry, religious connotations, 12, stations, angry = cross, nailed I'm going to hell. 

27.    Birchen's edge, naval references being consistent with the proliferation of naval route    names, AB = able seaman, and so on.

28.   Stanage without Oxygen, crag, Stanage Stan . . . an Ge, no phone signal = without 02    mobile phone company.

29.   Lost in France, Burbage north,  Bonnie Tyler's long song and a short route. Not Tyler    Landman, deary me yoof of today....

30.   Perfect Day, Gardom's Edge. The clue is Lou Reed's Transformer, the middle track being    Perfect Day,

Cheers

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Thanks Slopes... I was way off with some of them.  Really enjoyed working them out over a glass of wine on front of the fire.

Please do another next year!

Sloper

• forum hero
Perhaps three levels, punter, player and wad, 10 questions each section etc?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Perhaps three levels, punter, player and wad, 10 questions each section etc?

probably. i scored 2.5 btw. but i've never done a cryptic crossword in my life so no surprise there. but good effort for putting it together. i just think i (and clearly most others here) are no match for your intellect.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
Struth Chris, don't type stuff like that, it'll go to his head!! ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal