UKBouldering.com

Tips for avoiding putting on a stone over the festive period... (Read 8149 times)

T_B

• forum hero
Having spent the past month being fairly strict about what I eat/drink, I'm keen not to let it all go and turn into a greedy pig over the next week. Unfortunately, my mother is an amazing cook and I love cake, chocolate and beer...

Avoid breakfast?
Only drink spirits??

Any tips?

dave

I say fuck it, just hit the stairmaster come the new year.

Davey_C

• regular
I wouldn't worry about it and have a good time.

It takes 3500 calories to put on 1lb. Say you over indulged by 2000 calories per day - over the recommended 2500 for a bloke. So 4500 cals per day in total. Say you did this between Christmas Eve and New Years day that would be 8 days where you are having approx 16,000 calories too much. Divide this by 3500 (per lb) and you should put on approx 4.5lbs in 8 days.

That's an extreme example, I can't see anyone being able to eat / drink 4,500 calories per day for 8 days straight.

If you throw in a bit of exercise in there and don't go overboard every day then it'll be less than 4.5lbs.

Then in the New Year just cut back for a week or two and throw in a load of exercise and you'll be back to normal weight before you know it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Grazing is the worst bit for me. I can't resist bowls of nuts / chocolate selections / crisps / pigs in blankets laid out in front of me wherever I go, esp after a bit of alcohol. Resist this!

And don't skip brekky, only meal where you can be non-social and eat something sensible.

And just walk / climb / bike for an hour or so if you get a window in your hectic social calendar.

tomtom

• forum hero
Grazing is the worst bit for me. I can't resist bowls of nuts / chocolate selections / crisps / pigs in blankets laid out in front of me wherever I go, esp after a bit of alcohol. Resist this!

And don't skip brekky, only meal where you can be non-social and eat something sensible.

And just walk / climb / bike for an hour or so if you get a window in your hectic social calendar.

Also beer has more calories than other drinks - so stick to wine or spirits (e.g. G&slimlineT)

dave

It takes 3500 calories to put on 1lb. Say you over indulged by 2000 calories per day - over the recommended 2500 for a bloke. So 4500 cals per day in total. Say you did this between Christmas Eve and New Years day that would be 8 days where you are having approx 16,000 calories too much. Divide this by 3500 (per lb) and you should put on approx 4.5lbs in 8 days.

That's an extreme example, I can't see anyone being able to eat / drink 4,500 calories per day for 8 days straight.

Most xmases I put on about half a stone between xmas eve and the first day back at work at the start of jan. Last year in font i put on the best part of 3/4 of a stone in a week. check me the fuck out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Well I am at my heaviest in 4 years, so a few extra pounds will make f-all difference.

fatkid2000

• junky
Well I'm on a week of nights - great. Guaranteed to make me feel like vomiting the whole time, so I'll probably drop half a stone. Roll on Jan 5th - & my service to the community ends. Yes - That's right I'm working every single bank holiday this Festive Period - thanks to the unique way Rotherham NHS Trust is funded.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Invite FBSF round for the duration, he'll eat everything for you  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Having spent the past month being fairly strict about what I eat/drink, I'm keen not to let it all go and turn into a greedy pig over the next week. Unfortunately, my mother is an amazing cook and I love cake, chocolate and beer...

Avoid breakfast?
Only drink spirits??

Any tips?

Thats your answer, don't bother eating, or drinking beer, just drink spirits, all xmas/new year, nothing else.  :alky: :pissed:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Stick with whisky, meant to be healthiest. Pref a decent single malt.

T_B

• forum hero
Well I am at my heaviest in 4 years, so a few extra pounds will make f-all difference.

Yeah, that's probably the truth of it. Somehow I've become 5 kilos heavier in 2009 than 2008  >:( Maybe I'll start the obsessive weight loss programme on 1 Jan... seems to be all the rage at the mo.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
...you should put on approx 4.5lbs in 8 days.

Most xmases I put on about half a stone between xmas eve and the first day back at work at the start of jan. Last year in font i put on the best part of 3/4 of a stone in a week. check me the fuck out.
Yeah, I don't know where you are getting your figures from but I could easily put on half a stone over the festive period with very little effort.  Also, I reckon 4,500 calories for 8 days straight is fairly easy, especially if you count the drink and as Chris says the constant grazing on things that are really bad for you.  :thumbsup:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Do people notice a 5kg difference in their weight? I'm talking about when you actually weigh yourselves. Maybe it's just that the scales I've tended to use aren't particularly accurate, but I only ever weight myself in halves, or maybe quarters of a stone.

If I'm going to get much better, am I going to have to get some accurate scales, and actually watch my weight?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Do people notice a 5kg difference in their weight? I'm talking about when you actually weigh yourselves. Maybe it's just that the scales I've tended to use aren't particularly accurate, but I only ever weight myself in halves, or maybe quarters of a stone.

If I'm going to get much better, am I going to have to get some accurate scales, and actually watch my weight?

Go with kg it gives finer resolution.

As long as you always use the same scales (and their not getting any worse in their accuracy) then you don't need them to be accurate as whats important is your changes in weight over time, and if you're using the same scales all the time the error will be systematic and applied to each measurement.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I can feel an extra 5kgs, esp when bouldering and surfing (except on my longboard, . I personally think it's good to weigh yourself on a weekly basis at the same time of day each time and record it to track progress. I think it's one of these thing you need to monitor if you want to change it.

Is it called the (Richard :) ) Hawthorn Effect?

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
The main scales I use have me varying on a day to day basis between 12st 3lb, and 13st.

Davey_C

• regular
...you should put on approx 4.5lbs in 8 days.

Yeah, I don't know where you are getting your figures from but I could easily put on half a stone over the festive period with very little effort.  Also, I reckon 4,500 calories for 8 days straight is fairly easy, especially if you count the drink and as Chris says the constant grazing on things that are really bad for you.  :thumbsup:

Where I got my figures from? 3,500 additional calories give a 1lb weight gain is pretty much a universally agreed figure - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_gain

As far as the 2000 calories extra per day - that was an example. Some people may have more some may have less, I know I'm not going to eat 4,500 every day over 8 days.

If you are already on a diet or currently doing loads of exercise and then go to doing nothing for 8 days except eating and drinking then yes you will probably put on half a stone or more.

What I mentioned above was an example - I was trying to put a bit of perspective on it. Suggesting that you don't worry about it - have a good time and get yourself back in shape in January.

If it does concern you then do something about it; exercise whenever possible; have high protein food for breakfast (like scrambled eggs) as this'll keep you full for longer; drink lowest calorie versions of alcohol as possible like spirits and diet mixers; white wine (has no carbs); rather than grazing on chocolate have things like nuts and cheese instead - they may be high in cals but are healthier.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The main scales I use have me varying on a day to day basis between 12st 3lb, and 13st.

Pre or Post poo*?

Sounds like new scales wouldn't be a bad idea though as thats quite a lot of variation, but could be influenced by the time of day and how much you've eaten as well as whats happened at the other end.

* As a joke to wind my wife up who was watching her weight a month or so back I used to give her before and after weights, maximum achieved was ~600g  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
I've done pre and post weigh ins as well, and results are similar.

Friend of mine reckons he was using his Wii Fit and had to take a break mid fitness session, and it detected it and asked him if his weight had changed.

tomtom

• forum hero
I think this thread should be re-instigated after new year and we can have a who larded out the most competition!

;D

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
As a joke to wind my wife up who was watching her weight a month or so back I used to give her before and after weights, maximum achieved was ~600g  :P

That must've hurt!

Anyway, it's getting far enough  :off:

Plattsy

• forum hero
Head north and bag some winter Munro's.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Do people notice a 5kg difference in their weight?
Yes, but 5kg to me is probably a lot different to 5kg to you. :midget:  ;D

Davey_C, I wasn't really being totally serious when I asked where you got your figures from, I know you were trying to be helpful, I was just being awkward.   :hug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal