• Sheffield Boulder
#251 Re: Google Shit
June 23, 2016, 05:49:53 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#252 Re: Google Shit
January 07, 2017, 08:19:34 am
Two Google Home devices are arguing with each other and questioning their existence: https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#253 Re: Google Shit
January 07, 2017, 11:05:18 pm
That was great

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#254 Re: Google Shit
February 01, 2017, 03:09:18 pm
Google mistakes entire NHS for a botnet

I've found you can get the same challenge if you delete all tracking cookies and such like from your browser using a plugin like Self-destructing cookies and don't whitelist some of Googles cookies.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#255 Re: Google Shit
March 29, 2017, 11:43:55 am
Anyone getting a Google Home then?

As a resident in a split Apple / Google household I'm not sure how much it'll work for us, would be interested to try one out though.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/28/google-home-smart-speaker-launch-uk

ben

• obsessive maniac
#256 Re: Google Shit
March 29, 2017, 01:42:40 pm
as a google (not apple) home I'm tempted, but I'm trying to work out what we'd actually use it for other than a glorified speaker for streaming musak

Paul B

• forum hero
#257 Re: Google Shit
March 05, 2021, 06:08:11 pm
Somewhat related.

I got the Asus Flip Chromebook recently. Mostly, I like it. Great build quality, useful semi-tablet functionality, essential keyboard, decent screen, super-quick boot up, good price etc etc.

What are Chromebook's like in reality? My in-laws just got rid of all their old laptops to charity (after a steep learning curve with DBAN) and what they've got left is a Samsung Android tablet and a MS Surface laptop/tablet thing which is nearing the end of its life. To be fair to my mother in law, she's in her late 70s and managed with a bit of online coaching to make a bootable DBAN pen drive and wipe several computers. This included getting round some added protection on a Toshiba laptop's BIOS.

Chromebooks look appealing because of their simplicity coupled with cost but I don't have any first-hand experience of living with them. A quick Google suggests they'll work with their HP Envy scanner/printer which is a plus.

Is there anything notable people find they CAN'T do with one?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#258 Re: Google Shit
March 05, 2021, 06:37:41 pm
Somewhat related.

I got the Asus Flip Chromebook recently. Mostly, I like it. Great build quality, useful semi-tablet functionality, essential keyboard, decent screen, super-quick boot up, good price etc etc.

What are Chromebook's like in reality? My in-laws just got rid of all their old laptops to charity (after a steep learning curve with DBAN) and what they've got left is a Samsung Android tablet and a MS Surface laptop/tablet thing which is nearing the end of its life. To be fair to my mother in law, she's in her late 70s and managed with a bit of online coaching to make a bootable DBAN pen drive and wipe several computers. This included getting round some added protection on a Toshiba laptop's BIOS.

Chromebooks look appealing because of their simplicity coupled with cost but I don't have any first-hand experience of living with them. A quick Google suggests they'll work with their HP Envy scanner/printer which is a plus.

The kids all have Chrome books and seem to manage just about everything they could want with them, using Google Docs, Slides etc. I’m told by number 3, that you can download Word and such from Google Play etc. Still cheaper than buying it for a Windows PC.
Number one has a drawing tablet she uses with hers. Produces some reasonable art with it.
Mrs OMM has one too. She uses it for work. Processing vids and photos from her camera, accessing her work portal and word processing/spread sheet stuff.
I prefer my iPad, but she prefers her Chrome Book.

After several months of home schooling, live lessons, Zoom meets etc etc, I don’t think we’ve had any issues or found anything we couldn’t do. Easily expandable too.
We have HPs and Lenovos. Doesn’t seem to be much in it.
Though pouring a pint of Pepsi Max into a lenovo, does kill it. I can’t tell you if an HP is Pepsi proof. Nothing on the lable.
Fortunately they are (relatively) cheap to replace.

Actually, we haven’t had a PC in operation here or in either business for about five years. The wall is all iPad now, the Mrs is a mix of iPad and Chrome Books (I think there might still be a PC in the office there, but not heavily used). My PC is still sat in the office, above the wall, exactly as I left it the last time I shut it down, five years ago. The whole office is nothing but a paperwork store. The entire business exists in the cloud or on our server at home. I get pissed off if I have to deal with Windows based crap, these days.
Clunky as fark.

Edit 2...

Of course.
It was the home server that made the PCs redundant, really. Once everything is cloud based, even a personal cloud, large memory and PC type features become largely pointless. By having everything backed up at home too, means any lingering doubt about storing your photos in the cloud is removed.
Security concerns are also pretty moot, if you use social media a lot, too.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:48:51 pm by Oldmanmatt »

M1V0

• addict
#259 Re: Google Shit
March 05, 2021, 07:17:33 pm
What are Chromebook's like in reality? [...]

In my previous experience as an IT tech/service desk, they cannot do anything beyond basic web browsing and word editing (or similar level kind of things). As long as you don't anticipate hooking a chromebook up to any enterprise wifi networks that need certificates installed, or plan on doing anything heavy-duty (like any statistical programming), then you're okay.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#260 Re: Google Shit
June 07, 2021, 04:19:54 pm

Any further info from anyone who has recently bought or used a Chromebook? Done some rudimentary research and I think they would be great for what I need from a laptop (word processing, occasional MOffice use, opening pdfs and browsing).

What I'm struggling to work out is the different price points. Obviously the more expensive ones have touch/flip screens; at the lower end is it as simple as nicer trim/bigger screen or is there some crucial technical spec I should be looking for?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal