UKBouldering.com

Groove is in the heart and 8b+ (Read 9866 times)

priscilla wimbush

• regular
#25 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 09:36:43 am
Nik at Work: presumably nobody should ever mention Crag X as theres no topo or public access?

People didn't mention Crag X before the interweb unless they were climbing there or in a small circle of enthusiasts. Nik has a valid point as he is evidently enthusiastic yet not in the Boys club. You gotta knock harder Beardy beast - the key holder can't hear ya!  ;)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#26 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 09:38:21 am
Nik at Work: presumably nobody should ever mention Crag X as theres no topo or public access?

Absolutely. Of course they shouldnt.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 09:44:45 am

People didn't mention Crag X before the interweb unless they were climbing there or in a small circle of enthusiasts. Nik has a valid point as he is evidently enthusiastic yet not in the Boys club. You gotta knock harder Beardy beast - the key holder can't hear ya!  ;)

I first found Crag X throught the old (Stoney I believe??) guidebook where the problems were listed. Real bastard to find the place though.

I just reckon too many people want a topo with accurate grades, a GPS read out for the Sat Nav, beta, clean holds and perfect conditions before they explore. Then we wonder why some venues become honey pots and get banned.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 10:04:28 am
You've hit the nail on the head there n-man. There's times when I've had to hunt down places armed only with an OS map and my intuition. I actually enjoy that, and think it should be part of the wider climbing experience. No to spoon feeding!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#29 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 10:06:28 am
To be fair climbers have been kicking the arse out of this supposed media backout for years. There used to be regular pics of that place in mags of old, not to mention all the coverage in One Summer. Personally I think we should all make a greater effort not to mention the place and that inludes not even logging ascents there on 8a.nu or having beta threads about the problems there.

grimer

• forum hero
#30 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 10:15:56 am
To anyone who wants to go to Clodgy, and who wants spoon feeding, i think Barnaby Carver's online guide is superb
http://www.javu.co.uk/Climbing/Guides/Stives/index.shtml

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
#31 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 10:58:05 am
That guide is brilliant for a free, homemade job. Excellent work.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#32 Re: Groove is in the heart and 8b+
December 04, 2009, 12:24:00 pm
Yeah, very good. Lest I get called a hypocrite I should clarify I'm all in favour of this kind of thing, its the moaning about not being spoonfed info that gets on my tits. If there's no info, go and find out for yourself, and if you feel strongly that there should be info, produce it yourself.

Re: Crag X, bryological developments recently may mean the dale is not quite as significant as has been thought, so there may be a relaxation of restrictions in the future. However I think the current system works fine, discussion online is ok as long as no topos or directions are disseminated.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal