UKBouldering.com

Welsh Connections (Read 5091 times)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
Welsh Connections
November 30, 2009, 06:22:41 pm
Picked this up yesterday from the new V12 store in Liverpool. Thought it was an amazing video, perhaps even a new standard in climbing films; especially considering the £14.99 price tag. Find it hard to fault anything in terms of presentation, content or editing. Anyone else checked it out?

clm

• forum hero
#1 Re: Welsh Connections
November 30, 2009, 07:05:01 pm
vivahate. Can i take this opportunity to compliment you on your production of an excellent film about climbing...  Welsh connections.  :whistle:

Sorry, ithought i could smell...erm...pork
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:13:28 pm by clm »

marty

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Welsh Connections
November 30, 2009, 09:17:58 pm
vivahate. Can i take this opportunity to compliment you on your production of an excellent film about climbing...  Welsh connections.  :whistle:

Sorry, ithought i could smell...erm...pork

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#3 Re: Welsh Connections
November 30, 2009, 10:31:37 pm
Haha! Good to hear you enjoyed it Chris although your post does come across as a rather too well worded appraisal of said film. Maybe you need to gangsta it up a bit or dumb it down ;)

Dave and Mark reckoned its good too but said the Dawes bit was a bit gash compared to the P Robins crushing and Doylos inspirational cameo  :thumbsup:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#4 Re: Welsh Connections
November 30, 2009, 10:47:43 pm
Think the gush was due to having watched Grit Flick the same morning! Thought the price vs quality and the effort put into it made it pretty standout, but perhpas it's not  :-\

word.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#5 Re: Welsh Connections
December 01, 2009, 09:35:55 am
Quality film. Really enjoyed it. Laughed out loud at Dawes 'the old man of climbing' offering his deep and meaningful comments on everyone else.

Entertaining dynamic between him and his belayer in the first of the Dawes skits though! If I spoke like that to my my missus while she was belaying, I'd end up soloing!

Robins and Doylo were inspirational, made me want to get out on rock right away and then I saw the weather and wept.

grimer

• forum hero
#6 Re: Welsh Connections
December 01, 2009, 02:54:35 pm
I saw half of this at Kendal and thought it was superb. It had a real feel to it, which I liked, and I thought Pete Robins looked beautiful.

tobym

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Welsh Connections
December 01, 2009, 04:15:12 pm
and I thought Pete Robins looked beautiful.

I've heard he's got a soft spot for you,too, Niall  ;)

:shag:

grimer

• forum hero
#8 Re: Welsh Connections
December 01, 2009, 04:23:17 pm
That's not the same as thinking I'm beautiful.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9 Re: Welsh Connections
November 18, 2012, 07:38:06 pm
Finally got around to watching this the other night, why on Earth hadn't I seen it before.

Great DVD. Sure the film quality is a bit rough, and the whole thing would be better wrapped up in more of a "story", but it works well as a diverse and captivating snapshot of the Welsh scene and Welsh climbing. I liked the way it cut from crumbly Gogarth choss to slo-mo bouldering to omg xtreeem over-caffeinated sugary drink company DWS to..... Etc. The characters were pretty good, Nick and Graeme had me laughing out loud. The highlight was right at the end with Caff finally nearing the end of his battle with the Yellow Shark, pumped, in extremis, on choss, pulling the draggy ropes, and popping his cam out, I properly gasped in horror at that  :o

I'd see the Dawes + Pritchard bit before, I am not a sentimenal person but this was genuinely moving, both happy and sad at the same time, and should have been in the main film I thought.

:2thumbsup: all round.

ksjs

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Welsh Connections
November 19, 2012, 08:51:46 pm
Bit weird but seems that this has been off the radar for many, too limited for some?

Some excellent stuff in there; the bit of Pete in the Cave is very inspiring (thought music for this was spot on), Tim Emmett on Muy Caliente is edge of seat too (SPOILER ALERT), love it when he just catches the hold as he's almost starting to fall and great to see Caff being tested (with Nick cackling in the background).

Despite the trad featured I wished that more harder onsights had been featured, it was all (with the exception of Jonny Dawes and Caff iirc) headpoint stuff and the other aspects of Welsh climbing. Maybe it's unfair to expect this given the breadth covered but for me climbing in Wales is all about trad and 1 or 2 more ascents of hard classics would have made it a more complete package.

Still, a good watch with plenty of psyche.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal