UKBouldering.com

Cheese on Toast (Read 60076 times)

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#50 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 09:41:44 pm
I feel a line must be drawn here. I cannot allow this thread to digress into toasted sandwiches, which I feel are a totally different subsection of bread based cullinary delights. I feel uni-slice only for this thread?

Bi-slice needs to go elsewhere (and that thing looks like a George Formby :) Grill anyway).

That picture of toast in the top corner is wrong, it is a flat bed sandwich toaster/grill. You can actually do single slice cheese on toast with it as well, you just keep the top press up clear of the cheese and it melts it very nicely.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#51 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 10:04:21 pm

i can see how the banning of a toasted sandwich is valid but how can you be banning eggs in a discussion about cheese on toast...

the opening post had a recipe involving fish - at least an egg is keeping it dairy.

My brain may be frazzled but is an egg really dairy?

erm i don't really know what i was on about a chicken is not a milk producing beast nor is an egg a foodstuff produced from milk. probably still reeling from the suggestion that including eggs was a no goer.

just for the record i used to toast one side but since toasting both i've never gone back...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#52 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 10:07:26 pm
Big Cheese on toast

My experiments so far indicate that the best cheese on toast is the one having the most fun

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#53 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 10:26:18 pm
I've gone in search of SCIENCE

Quote from: Heston Blumenthal
Please note that I have not entered the worcestershire sauce argument

:lol:

I'm interested to see that he uses a hot oven rather than a grill

more on the Egg Issue

There was a National Cheese On Toast Day on 27th November 2006. Are we having one this year? Seems like a good time for the factions to call a truce and get toasting  :thumbsup:

found an old school recipe for Cheese Sauce on Toast. Pushing things too far in the rarebit direction though...

edit

National Cheese On  Toast Day might be in April not November
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:45:35 pm by lagerstarfish »

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#54 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 11:52:26 pm
if I may raise the spectre of the microwave.....
anyone using this to *melt* the cheese gets shot. sniper rifle, .50 round, through the head.
Obviously the speed of their dispatch is to be applauded. But, perhaps every 5th microwave cheese-on-toaster caught should be flayed, or somesuch, y'know, as an example.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:14:05 am by Joepicalli »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#55 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 25, 2009, 02:21:23 am
Shhhhhh- don't mention H***erson's  :o

Yes, it should here-on be referred to - Macbeth-style - as The Sheffield Relish, lest one's Cheese on Toast is a disaster.

Bobling

• menacing presence
#56 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 25, 2009, 09:00:50 pm
Tried it with thin apple slices under the cheese (cheese sliced not grated).  Apple was good, tasted quite sweet in comparison to the cheese but stopped the dish being over-rich.  Slicing cheese good too, I do know that but always forget.  I should have taken a photo but that would be sad, neh?

jmews

• regular
#57 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 25, 2009, 09:15:55 pm
Nice variation is grilled cheese (US style)

lightly toast the bread on one or both sides, depending on how anal you are! Slice cheese and French's mustard in between slices. Butter outside of sandwich (both sides) and fry in a hot, dry pan for a few minutes. Amazing.

Bobling

• menacing presence
#58 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 25, 2009, 09:21:39 pm

lightly toast the bread on one or both sides, depending on how anal you are! Slice cheese and French's mustard in between slices.

Sounding good...

Butter outside of sandwich (both sides)

What the deuce?

and fry in a hot, dry pan for a few minutes.

Bleurgh!

Ah OK, just read your post again, I thought you were saying it should be deep-fat fried  :-[.

jmews

• regular
#59 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 25, 2009, 09:35:43 pm
Ugh no...it just goes crispy and golden brown, not greasy. It's never going to beat cheese on toast but as a drunk meal it's amazing!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#60 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 08:19:13 am
What's the feelings on mozarella? I sometimes have a bit leftover from making pizza and it's great if toasted to right crunchiness and has some tasty stuff to go with it, as it is pretty bland on its own.

And how about haloumi?

tomtom

• forum hero
#61 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 09:00:56 am
What's the feelings on mozarella? I sometimes have a bit leftover from making pizza and it's great if toasted to right crunchiness and has some tasty stuff to go with it, as it is pretty bland on its own.

And how about haloumi?

Mozarella/Chedar mix is OK.. Haloumi is too dry... works nicely on top of roasted peppers though..

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#62 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 09:34:23 am
Haloumi needs well seasoned and fried, then it's good, if you can get over the squeak.  Mozzarella is good if there is enough other stuff to liven it up and, as Chris says, it is well crisped up around the edges by the grilling process.

This thread makes me really hungry.  :'(

tomtom

• forum hero
#63 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 12:27:56 pm
Haloumi needs well seasoned and fried, then it's good, if you can get over the squeak.

I thought I was the only person who thought Haloumi squeaks! excellent, I am 1. not alone and 2. not mental (on that account anyway!)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#64 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 12:46:41 pm
Haloumi needs well seasoned and fried, then it's good, if you can get over the squeak.

I thought I was the only person who thought Haloumi squeaks! excellent, I am 1. not alone and 2. not mental (on that account anyway!)
Unfortunately you base your not being mental on that count, on coroboration by Mags; this may not be as sound a basis for your conclusion as you think ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#65 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 12:54:12 pm
 >:(

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#66 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 12:56:58 pm

lightly toast the bread on one or both sides, depending on how anal you are! Slice cheese and French's mustard in between slices. Butter outside of sandwich (both sides) and fry in a hot, dry pan for a few minutes. Amazing.

Am I an idiot or is the there absolutely no grilling involved in preparing 'grilled cheese'?!

wtf is wrong with the Americans?

nik at work

• forum hero
#67 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 12:59:54 pm
I too think Haloumi is squeaky. However I fear I may provide the same level of evidence of sanity as Maggers.

Anyway, to prevent the sidetracking of this important debate, I feel I need to come clean. I am firmly of the opinion that one side of the bread should be toasted and then the other sided cheesed and grilled. However of late that has not been an option available to me due to a lack of a suitable grilling device. As such recent cheese on toasts have been made in the style of Heston, that is to say in the oven. I still firmly believe that the mono-grill-flip-cheese-grill option yields the superior cheese on toast however the oven option provides a perfectly palatable dining experience and remains streets ahead of the "bung it in the toaster first" efforts.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#68 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 01:04:50 pm
Yup Haloumi squeeks. But it doesn't melt does it? Surely one of the most important properties of cheese on toast is melted cheese.   :rtfm:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#69 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 01:07:35 pm

Am I an idiot or is the there absolutely no grilling involved in preparing 'grilled cheese'?!

wtf is wrong with the Americans?

There is no dog in a hotdog either! Or ham in a hamburger, The scoundrels!!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#70 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 01:22:03 pm
I'm with lagers, nik etc on the one side, flip, cheese, grill method.

Apart from anything else the fact that Fiend is vehemently backing the toast both sides campaign mean that it's already a dead duck.

It's the culinary equivalent of getting Ian Huntley to front a child safety campaign.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#71 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 01:26:24 pm
A light grilling of the cheese side then adding cheese and back under the grill is my stance on this. It doesn't have to be so black and white.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#72 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 01:28:54 pm
Fence sitter.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#73 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 01:49:51 pm
Ian Huntley only toasts his bread on one side  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#74 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 26, 2009, 02:37:52 pm
Yup Haloumi squeeks. But it doesn't melt does it? Surely one of the most important properties of cheese on toast is melted cheese.   :rtfm:

It doesn't melt in so far as its state alters from solid to liquid, but it does get soft and gooey and does brown nicely and go a bit crunchy. I don't think melting is a prerequisite.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal