UKBouldering.com

Single Malt Whisky (Read 131928 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#325 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 03, 2021, 02:43:56 pm
Yes! I'm down for at least 2 bottles. Sure you will update on FB too.

Thanks beast and yes will push out via FB. It’s a very small batch release to kick things off  :)

nik at work

• forum hero
#326 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 03, 2021, 05:00:13 pm
Please keep me informed Monolith  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#327 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 25, 2021, 11:58:49 am
The rum thread reminded me. I need to buy a bottle of c.£30-40 whisky as a gift for someone - any good but interesting (not too mainstream) recommendations?

Something Irish would also be fitting - but don't mind.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#328 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 25, 2021, 12:09:21 pm
As a curveball, I really like The Chita from Japanese Distiller Suntory, but it is very smooth and mild; some people would say it lacks the fire you would expect from a decent Malt, but a lot of that is personal preference, I find some of the popular West Coast ones have a bit too much of the "TCP" taste and generally prefer mellower Speysides.

IanP

• forum abuser
#329 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 25, 2021, 09:00:54 pm
The rum thread reminded me. I need to buy a bottle of c.£30-40 whisky as a gift for someone - any good but interesting (not too mainstream) recommendations?

Something Irish would also be fitting - but don't mind.

Not got any great knowledge of Irish whiskey (generally more of a Scottish malt man) but I had a bottle of Redbreast 12 off my parents for Christmas and really enjoyed it, smooth but still rich and flavoursome and definitely a bit different from my normal whisky.  On the upper end of your price range.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#330 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 25, 2021, 09:35:00 pm
+1 Redbreast - it's a brilliant tot - it's a "single pot still" whiskey - which is the one uniquely Irish style of whiskey making (as some Scottish distilleries do triple distil), whereby both unmalted and malted barley are used in the mash bill.  It's one of the few whiskies I always buy if I ever see it on special offer (I think it might now be down to £35 at Booths)  - but it's not a "difficult" dram - my Mum and Dad loved it, and they tend to prefer the "easy drinking" end of the scotch market.

For well-rounded Scotches, my current favourites are Springbank 10, Clynelish, and the Benromach 10 (or the "Organic"). Although, they might all be a little out of your range (£40-45, unless on special offer).

A total flavour-bomb / acquired taste would be something by Amrut - an Indian distillery. Amrut - Fusion and the Cask Strength are incredibly potent.  Super-charged ageing in tropical heat means Amruts develop a lot faster than Scottish malts and can develop a lot of taste quickly - which encourages experimentation with casks and malt bills.  When they are good, they are wonderfully intense... when they are bad, they can be a bit hot and immature (but no worse than, say, Aberlour Abunnah).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#331 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 27, 2021, 01:45:26 pm
I have a bottle of Redbreast 21 stashed away for my son's 21st. I know high priced older whisk(e)ys aren't always necessarily so much better than the basic offerings from the same distilleries as to justify the price difference, but in this case the general reviewer consensus seems to be that it's amazing. I hope I'll be allowed to try some of it.

Amrut Fusion is on my to-do list too, but at the rate I get through them I won't be getting round to it for a year or two.

Monolith

• forum hero
#332 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 16, 2021, 02:36:20 pm
Just to alert anybody keen that you can now buy this rather special collaborative bottling I mentioned a while back. The link isn't yet being pushed via our companies and the labels are due to be affixed end of the month so due for delivery in July.

It's a 9 year old Benrinnes that has been matured in a second fill Oloroso sherry cask for 8 years before spending a final 10 months secondary maturation in a first fill Oloroso sherry cask. It's a beauty.

https://greatdrams.com/product/collaboration-series-greatdrams-x-malt-of-the-earth-benrinnes-9-year-old-oloroso-cask-finish/

Stabbsy

• junky
#333 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 26, 2021, 09:00:55 pm
Just to alert anybody keen that you can now buy this rather special collaborative bottling I mentioned a while back. The link isn't yet being pushed via our companies and the labels are due to be affixed end of the month so due for delivery in July.

It's a 9 year old Benrinnes that has been matured in a second fill Oloroso sherry cask for 8 years before spending a final 10 months secondary maturation in a first fill Oloroso sherry cask. It's a beauty.

My bottle of this arrived the other day, coinciding with a return from holiday and my first fell race for 16 months. Cracked it open after the race. Wouldn’t normally choose Speyside malts, but can confirm that this was lovely.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#334 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 09, 2021, 12:46:51 pm
I poached a wee dram of this off Crouchy the other week and can confirm it is very delicious...

SA Chris mentioned the Chita Japanese whisky above - I have ordered a bottle for Christmas after tasting some at a restaurant recently. I normally go for the peatier whiskies but this was lovely and will make a nice change from the Coal Isla and Laphroaig bottles I've got in...

Always like to pop in on this thread every now and again for recommendations! Thanks chaps...

Monolith

• forum hero
#335 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 02, 2024, 08:32:27 pm
Just a wee heads up to anybody keen to explore whisky cask ownership; I’ve spent the past two years solidly working away at expanding my company with this facet being a key component.

Rest assured I’m not positioning it as “cask investment” but am looking to sell casks to those keen to own good spirit at fair prices.

If interested, feel free to DM me. Otherwise there will be some public announcements via the company channels in the New Year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal