UKBouldering.com

Single Malt Whisky (Read 131945 times)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#300 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 08, 2018, 11:25:51 pm
Laphroaig Select £24 in Sainsburys... not tried it before and its pretty good so a real bargain at that price..

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#301 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 09, 2019, 07:38:56 pm
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.

It has now. Ha!

So, a question for people who (unlike me) know what they're talking about. I tried an Ardbeg 10 as an after-dinner digestif in in a restaurant the other day. My first venture into full-on Islay peatiness and wow! Impressed.

Considering picking a bottle up, so did a bit of background reading. Amazon.de has the 10 yo at 40 Euros, seems reasonable. Or do I go the whole bog hog and invest an extra 20 Euros or so in Corryvreckan or Uigeadail? And if so, which?

("All of the Above" is not currently an option given the both the post-Christmas budget situation and the rate at which I am likely to drink it)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#302 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 09, 2019, 07:55:06 pm
I've not tried corryvreckan, and it's been a while since I've had an Ardbeg 10, but wow, the Uigeadail was one of the best I've had. I remember being mildly underwhelmed on the first few tastings, perhaps too high expectations. But once I got into It, it was maybe the best I've had.

That said....recent reviews seem to imply a steady downward trajectory of quality for the Uig, so maybe not? Your call. If you liked the 10, maybe just go with it.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#303 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 09, 2019, 09:59:41 pm
My bottle of Uigeadail was one of the finest whisky's I've had... it would take a lot of devaluation to be worse than the 10 y.o.  That said, it was a few years ago (last bought 6 years ago, to celebrate climbing Frankie Comes to Kilnsey,  my big "tick" for that year!), and these reviews are concerning:

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/331/ardbeg-uigeadail

Mind you, a gradual decline might also apply to the 10 y.o.  The age statement sets a floor but most whiskies are getting younger, as stocks struggle to cope with demand.  Once, an "entry level" 10/12 y.o would contain a significant amount of much older spirit to provide depth; now they reportedly comprise a far larger fraction of minimally aged whisky, with the older stuff saved for ludicrously expensive premium bottlings.

My last Ardbeg 10 y.o. was very decent.  My position would be, if you want a guarantee of being satisfied, buy it again (or Laphroiag 10).  But if you are willing to risk and are prepared for a chance of disappointment, and want novelty and the chance of something wonderful, get the Uigeadail. 

[rant over, currently nursing a "night-cap" of a Talisker 57 and seriously contemplating a follow-up Lagavulin 8 - both very, very good]

PS Tesco is clearing out whisky stock on "Reduced to Clear Offers".  I snapped up an Aberfeldy 12 for £20 (down from £35) in the Ilkley branch (not a great malt but a nice enough - especially for the price of a blend).

danm

• junky
#304 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 10:40:43 am
Got back into whisky after a long break, got an Ardbeg 10yo, Lagavulin 16yo but pick of the bunch was a Cambeltown, Kilkerran 12yo. If you like salted caramel or butterscotch....apparently stocks are running out already, it's been so popular. Now I've decide I like Cambeltown, what would folks recommend next? Springbank 10 and Longrow Peated are on the list. For peated Islay type stuff, any other recommendations, Ardbeg Uig is on that list.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#305 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 11:20:30 am
Got back into whisky after a long break, got an Ardbeg 10yo, Lagavulin 16yo but pick of the bunch was a Cambeltown, Kilkerran 12yo. If you like salted caramel or butterscotch....apparently stocks are running out already, it's been so popular. Now I've decide I like Cambeltown, what would folks recommend next? Springbank 10 and Longrow Peated are on the list. For peated Islay type stuff, any other recommendations, Ardbeg Uig is on that list.

First time on this thread, but I had to share. I got hold of a bottle of a Ledaig 10 from the Tobermory distillery (isle of Mull) a while back and have just finished it. If you like peaty Islay types then this one would definitely satisfy you, it is superb and I will certainly be getting another one. My dad and brother came back from the distillery last year with a bottle tapped from an unmarked barrel that their master distiller thought was probably an 18 year old, it might have been the best whisky to ever pass my unworthy lips.

Caol Ila should be one to try too if you haven't already.

Stabbsy

• junky
#306 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 11:24:36 am
Don't think I've had Springbank (or Kilkerran?), but I got a bottle of Longrow a couple of years ago for Christmas and it was fantastic - possibly my first/only Campbeltown malt.

I've not tried corryvreckan, and it's been a while since I've had an Ardbeg 10, but wow, the Uigeadail was one of the best I've had. I remember being mildly underwhelmed on the first few tastings, perhaps too high expectations. But once I got into It, it was maybe the best I've had.

That said....recent reviews seem to imply a steady downward trajectory of quality for the Uig, so maybe not? Your call. If you liked the 10, maybe just go with it.
I'd wondered if Ardbeg was generally going a bit downhill, but it could be related to expectations. After enjoying the Ardbeg 10 some years ago, I got a bottle of Renaissance, which I still rate as one of the two best whiskies I've had. Uigeadail was badged as similar, but I never thought it to be quite as good. My more recent Islay/Islands highlights have been Kilchoman (Machir Bay, I think) and a "young edition" Talisker (5 years old, looks like straw coloured piss, tastes amazing).

I'm down to the end of two bottles now, so time for a shopping spree.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:34:08 am by Stabbsy »

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#307 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 12:55:31 pm
Springbank is probably my favourite whisky - has a bit of everything - maritime zest, slight peat, fruit.  The standard 10 yo is very good; the cask strength and 15 yo are superb.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#308 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 01:03:58 pm
First whisky-related post from me too. I've always avoided whisky since my first experience as a 17 year-old didn't end well...

In April I was in Scotland and had a Talisker (I think 10 yr) which I was surprised to like quite a bit, later on that week I had a Balvenie (12 yr I think) which tasted awful and gave terrible flashbacks...

If I wanted to get into whisky and try some more, what would be recommended given the above reactions?

Paul B

• forum hero
#309 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 01:26:53 pm
Master of Malt do taster sets that might be worth investigating?

My only addition this winter has been a bottle of Port Charlotte 2008.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#310 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 01:56:01 pm
Springbank is probably my favourite whisky

It was a long time ago but I recall the route on Gimmer being fantastic

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#311 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 03:20:34 pm
Master of Malt do taster sets that might be worth investigating?
Cheers for the recommendation, will look into it...

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#312 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2019, 06:33:26 pm
First whisky-related post from me too. I've always avoided whisky since my first experience as a 17 year-old didn't end well...

In April I was in Scotland and had a Talisker (I think 10 yr) which I was surprised to like quite a bit, later on that week I had a Balvenie (12 yr I think) which tasted awful and gave terrible flashbacks...

If I wanted to get into whisky and try some more, what would be recommended given the above reactions?

Sounds to me like you want to stay away from Speysides (things like Glenfiddich, Macallan, Aberlour, GlenMorangie, Dalwhinnie) as they will have a similar flavour profile to Balvenie, which I usually describe as light, smooth and vanilla like (sweeping generalisation, granted) and low on peating. Talisker is an island whisky, and decently peaty, so I expect you would enjoy most islay or island whiskys. Some examples have been mentioned above such as Caol ila, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Tobermory, and Highland park.

I am a simple enjoyer and far from an expert, but from what you have said that is where I would start.

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#313 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 11, 2019, 08:27:10 pm
Check out Ailsa Bay for a smokey Lowlander or Arran 14 for fruity loveliness. Both good value atm. Relatively unknown but high class drams.

Sherry bombs of Glendronach 18 and Glengoyne Teapot went down nicely too.

Love the Ardbeg tho, the 10 is insane value for money and the Oogy is worth the extra for variety imo. If u like Ardbeg, check out the Laphroaig Lore, seriously tasty! Port Charlotte 10 also.

Slainte

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#314 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 16, 2019, 12:25:31 pm
Another thread revival, since I got some great advice last year and enjoyed the resulting bottle of Ardbeg Uigedail.

My son's 18th is coming up in the foreseeable future. What's a good 18yo that I don't need to take out a mortgage for?

My own tastes tend towards Islay smoke bombs; he hasn't developed a taste direction of his own yet (afaik)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#316 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 16, 2019, 03:55:06 pm
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/talisker/talisker-18-year-old-whisky/#add

Not tried it myself, but generally 18s are much mellower than younger whiskies anyway.

My gut instinct was Glenfarclas, as it's quite approachable, but they 18 doesn't seem to get great reviews. You could just go the whole hog and get a 25yr old?

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenfarclas-25-year-old-whisky/?recommended_by=12017

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#317 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 16, 2019, 05:20:13 pm
IIRC the Glenfarclas 15 used to be better regarded than the 18.  I think the Glendronach 18 is meant to be the best 18 yo of that sherried type these days.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#318 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2020, 08:30:00 am
Moose (I think) recommended a the Springbank 15yo earlier in this thread and I treated myself before Christmas - superb. One of the best I've had...

Paul B

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#320 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 10, 2020, 10:21:29 am
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299335457

Glenkeith is on sale in Tesco right now. Got a bottle that will be enjoyed in the Alps next week, will report back. Nice to get a local one at a reasonable price, driven past the distillery a few times.

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#321 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 05, 2020, 05:14:28 pm
Moose (I think) recommended a the Springbank 15yo earlier in this thread and I treated myself before Christmas - superb. One of the best I've had...

Agreed. I was lucky enough to bag a bottle of the 12yo cask strength a month ago or so. Another outstanding release this year, recommended if you can find it.

The Kilkerran 8yo was my Xmas bottle last year, another gem.

Can I also put a shout out for Ralfydotcom on the YT - a wee eccentric Glasgow man who sits in bothies reviewing spirits (mostly malts) and imparting wisdom with a touch of tinfoil hat syndrome.

Inspired :)

No cash for new bottles atm, thank goodness the stash cupboard looks quite healthy!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#322 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 03, 2021, 01:48:53 pm
Sorry for the shameless self plugging here but I'll soon be releasing a new bottling and should be upping my release numbers in general from hereon in.

I don't keep a mailing list or database and probably won't bother establishing one for a good while. I will however keep a list of peoples names who may be interested to hear when this goes live. The good news is that it will very likely be sold exclusively online and it can probably also be shipped to the USA. The EU however is a different kettle of fish at the minute.

If you'd be keen to hear when this goes live, please ping me a pm and I'll add your name to the list of interested parties.

End of plug sorry.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#323 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 03, 2021, 02:16:58 pm
Yes! I'm down for at least 2 bottles. Sure you will update on FB too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#324 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 03, 2021, 02:18:23 pm
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299335457

Glenkeith is on sale in Tesco right now. Got a bottle that will be enjoyed in the Alps next week, will report back. Nice to get a local one at a reasonable price, driven past the distillery a few times.

I'm on the 3rd bottle of this, a lovely smooth Speyside. Often reduced to £20 in Tesco, worth keeping an eye on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal