UKBouldering.com

Single Malt Whisky (Read 131947 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#250 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 14, 2014, 10:07:54 pm
Is anyone travelling up from Liverpool area to Aberdeen area any time soon? I have a special delivery awaiting...

Chris, the first leg of the journey to Glasgow could easily be completed over Christmas. A good friend of mine is returning to Liverpool for a few days and then back if that helps? Will speak offline anyway mate!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#251 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 14, 2014, 10:41:25 pm
I'm currently drinking Arran Sauternes finish, and very good it is too (hic) thatsh all I have to say on the matter.

I'll add it to the ever growing list of bottles to consider for the next mail order - I rather like the Arran 16 yo.  I'm drifting away from the peat monsters and sherry-bombs to the less easily pigeon-holed malts - whiskies that have a lot of different flavours in moderation - current favourites are Clynelish, Springbank, Oban.  That said, really getting into my rye whiskies - currently sampling Knob Creek rye, Smooth Ambler rye and High West Rendezvous rye.... all very nice.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#252 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 15, 2014, 09:30:51 am
Is anyone travelling up from Liverpool area to Aberdeen area any time soon? I have a special delivery awaiting...

Chris, the first leg of the journey to Glasgow could easily be completed over Christmas. A good friend of mine is returning to Liverpool for a few days and then back if that helps? Will speak offline anyway mate!

Could work. Will see if anyone can close the loop.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#253 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 18, 2014, 01:48:54 pm
 Tom, do you know if any of the Scouserland shops still have any stock, will be driving fairly close over the next couple of weeks

danm

• junky
#254 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 18, 2014, 02:23:50 pm
Just be careful mate, the hard stuff is pretty inflammable  :tease:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#255 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 18, 2014, 04:55:00 pm
My last little bit of Malt of the Earth did indeed contribute to my near demise  :alky:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#256 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 11, 2015, 01:13:14 pm
Tom's 2nd bottling is imminent  :clap2:

If it coincides with a visit to my brothers then I would be happy to pick up a couple of cases to bring back to Sheffieldshire for peeps  :alky:

Duma

• forum hero
#257 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 11, 2015, 02:50:54 pm
With much sadness I finished the last of my Bruichladdich 15yo 2nd edition the other day :'(
Any chance of any of Tom's produce making it's way southwestward (bristol)?

andy_e

• forum hero
#258 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 11, 2015, 02:52:17 pm
Apparently there will be an online stockist...

Duma

• forum hero
#259 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 11, 2015, 03:11:54 pm
yeah saw on fb, no details yet though, and I want

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#260 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 18, 2015, 04:37:37 pm
I have just ordered a case via Tom, 6 bottles will be up for grabs. Collect from the Works. Postage costs will be split evenly.

1st come, 1st served.

Monolith

• forum hero
#261 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 06, 2015, 10:25:09 pm
Evening folks.

Apologies for not clocking the messages below. It's been an overwhelmingly busy few months!

The online system is currently being finalised in conjunction with a major online retailer and I'll be sure to let you all know when you can head to the redesigned site and purchase from there.

Thanks for the support all (and patience).  :)

Monolith

• forum hero
#262 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 22, 2015, 12:35:06 pm
As promised, the new site and online shop link is live.

As an aside, anybody else going to festival week in Islay this May?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#263 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 22, 2015, 04:04:33 pm
As promised, the new site and online shop link is live.

As an aside, anybody else going to festival week in Islay this May?

Considering it. I'd wanted to go with my dad (massive Laphroaig fan) and we're in the vicinity but it's quite a lot for the ferry and tickets, so not sure it's feasible. Might just put that money towards a nice bottle and drink it during our travels.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#264 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 22, 2015, 04:26:53 pm
I noticed Inner Hebrides and Arran SMC guide now covers Arran, has anyone got it? Long drive from here, but if I could get 4 in the van to share expense it could be tempting..

Eddies

• forum hero
#265 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 23, 2015, 10:40:32 pm
Glenmoragie on offer in Tesco's atm... £25 [emoji106]

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#266 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 08, 2015, 09:31:46 pm
Highland Park 12 - is currently going down rather well.  I have to admit my dad's views on whisky have always had a strong influence on my tastes - a strong leaning away from Speyside towards Islay. Robust, flavourful and peaty, rather than mellow, easy going, vanilla sweetness.

Highlands have always been in the middle - good, sometimes great, but not the peat and smoke bombs we have come to love. Highland park was an obscurity - he was never much of a fan, so there were rarely any bottles in the collection.

I am slowly working my way through a bottle and quite enjoying it. Much more oomph than many Speysides.

andy_e

• forum hero
#267 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 09, 2015, 08:33:35 am
HP12 is definitely my favourite supermarket whisky, usually well priced and full of the right balance of peat smoke and sweeter notes.

Monolith

• forum hero
#268 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 09, 2015, 02:13:52 pm
Not sure if many whisky fans here are local to Wirral but I'm hosting a tasting at the excellent Homebrew in Oxton on 9th December.

I'll be taking attendees through the independent bottling side of the industry and offering 6 different tastings on the night. If anybody in the area is keen to attend, tickets can be bought here.

andy_e

• forum hero
#269 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 09, 2015, 02:19:40 pm
The evening will then conclude in a contemporary local style with a brawl, stealing some wheels and ending up in the nick. Hope it's a good one lid, wish I could partake!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#270 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 24, 2015, 08:39:36 pm
When I was in Tesco the other day I saw Laphroaig Select (a 200th anniversary "special") and it was down from £35 to £25 so I just had to get one. My dad would have disapproved otherwise...

It's ... interesting. It has the backbone of the standard 10, with some other things going on that I can't quite pin down. Some of the peat is tamed, but it's nowhere near as mellow as a 15 or 18.

Worth a punt at £25.

andy_e

• forum hero
#271 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 24, 2015, 11:08:15 pm
Good shout. I need to stock up but was looking for highland or speyside. Might have to reconsider.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#272 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 24, 2015, 11:38:15 pm
When I was in Tesco the other day I saw Laphroaig Select (a 200th anniversary "special")

I suspect "Select" is a euphemism for "No Age Statement" - yet another attempt to sell off young spirit at an inflated price and protect reserves of older stuff - refer also to Glenlivet "Founders Reserve" - replacing the 12 yo; Ardmore "Legacy" and  "Traditional Cask" replacing the 12 yo; Talisker "Storm" and "Skye" being introduced and the 10 yo going up in price; the Macallan 10 and 12 yo disappearing and being replaced by "Gold", the various Bowmore Rocks / Sea etc  (and pretty much every other new release with a daft pseudo-Celtic name).  Not that all NAS statement malts are bad - Aberlour A'bun'ah,  Ardbeg Uigeadail are great (and th Amrut malts, but aging in India is pretty rapid).  I also really like the Laphroaig Quarter Cask - at least that has a reason for being aged less (smaller casks -> faster maturation.

Duma

• forum hero
#273 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 25, 2015, 12:29:35 am
Re Moose above - the Laphroaig quarter Cask is discounted in Waitrose atm.

Was on Mull a couple of weeks ago and picked up a bottle of Tobermory 10yo, really enjoying it - quite soft sweet oakiness. Did try the peated one they do too (ledaig) but the iodine comes through a bit strong for me so passed on that.

horn

• regular
#274 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 28, 2015, 05:28:34 pm
Yeah, Laphroaig Select is a pretty confused blend of Sherry, Pedro Ximenez, bourbon and virgin casks, and the peat smoke is heavily subdued. I bought a bottle a while back (It was a new laphroaig at a reasonable price, and you've got to try these things I guess) but didn't enjoy it at all.

On the bright side, I managed to find a standard Ardbeg 10 from everyone's favourite online tax-dodgers for £32 the other day  :2thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal