UKBouldering.com

Manfrotto 055XProB tripod - opinions/alternatives? (Read 8421 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
It is only a matter of time before the knackered and flimsy tripod I have falls over and breaks my video camera, so I've been thinking about spending actual cash on a more substantial support. The Manfrotto 055XProB seems pretty versatile, solid, tall, light and simple to operate (had a go with a Uni-Loc tripod once that was like a test out of the Krypton Factor). Adjustable leg angle and length as well as the groovy horizontal/reversable centre post all seem to work well (had a play in a shop). £110 seems reasonable for something that will cope with uneven ground/rocks. Obviously I'll have to acquire a head as well.

Anyway, I was wondering whether there is anything similar out there that might be worth considering?

dave

manfrotto are the bomb for good quality and value for money. the 55 range is pretty heavy though, you'd do well to look at the equivalent model in the 190 range, a lot lighter and more compact etc although not as tall. for a video camera even the 190 is overkill i would have thought. they also do a "digital" range of lighter tripods etc.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I find myself needing/wanting more hight on my tripod (end up taping other shit to it; brush handle, ski pole etc.). A slightly overhead view works better for some fishing shots and I might like to try the same type of shot for bouldering.

I don't really walk very far with my kit (rarely more than a mile) and if weight was a serious concern I'd eat and drink less.

I'll look at the stats on the 190 range to get a proper idea. I do get pissed off with strong wind shaking the camera about on my flimsy piece of foil tube.

Thanks Dave  :thumbsup:

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
I've got a 055 XProB with a 701HDV head.  Its great for stills and video(i use an HV30 with it for video), however if used with a slightly heavier camera such as a sony A1 i have found the legs can twist and spring slightly on the start of a pan movement giving a jerky look to the start of your pan shot. You are completely able to work around this, however it's the lightest tripod i would consider if your doing any video work that requires camera motion in the shots.  Also at full extension with just a light camcorder on it you may find a strong wind will shake the tripod slightly!

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
I got the 055XDB and love it. It seems fairly steady to me when extended.. I'm 6'2" and regularly use it with the camera at this height.

I got it for £86 (inc 804RC2 head) from here:

http://www.collegecameras.co.uk/Manfrotto-055-XDB-p-1172.html

dave

With either the 190 or 055 models I'd deffo try and stretch to the models with the quick snap leg locks rather than the traditional screw type.  shit load easier and quicker to use, especially with gloves on and shit, and less to go wrong/get shit and mud stuck in etc.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Nice one Stom.
When I manage to score a decent fluid head I will be using camera motion for shots. My efforts so far with no fluid head and a tripod that weighs less than my handycam have been more than a little disappointing.

Tris, I'll have a look at that site when I get a chance. Does your centre column go horizontal?

Dave, I hear you.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Does your centre column go horizontal?

I don't think so, although I'm not sure why you would need it? Surely you can just tip the head 90 degrees and move the tripod legs to the position you wanted or am I missing something here?

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
The XB and XDB centre columns do not go horizontal, only the XproB has this feature.

Does your centre column go horizontal?

I don't think so, although I'm not sure why you would need it? Surely you can just tip the head 90 degrees and move the tripod legs to the position you wanted or am I missing something here?

The horizontal centre column feature is really good for macro shots and allows you to get some pretty unique angles that you just can get on a standard tripod.  I've also got a Slik tripod with a 3 way pan tilt head.  It doesn't have a horizontal centre column and can be really frustrating to get some low shots with.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I've experimented with close up shots of foot and hand placements using a wide angle lens and am hoping to continue with these (the process of smearing on grit fascinates me) - the horizontal bar should make it easier

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Ah right - that makes sense, I don't take macro shots so have never come across that scenario/need.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I've got a 055 XProB with a 701HDV head

So have I now  :thumbsup:

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
nice one! Lookimg forward to seeing some video with camera movement.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Christ! That means I'll have to go climbing with other people   :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal