UKBouldering.com

Moving topics? (Read 2679 times)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Moving topics?
November 17, 2009, 09:02:13 am
Hi Bubba, as I seem to be a complete muppet and keep posting lame topics in the wrong place - is it possible to include changing the forum that the post was started in with the modify options?

I just think it may be able to save you some work - what with idiots like me causing more work for you having to move topics...

Cheers

Tris

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Moving topics?
November 17, 2009, 09:40:29 am
Not sure if this is possible with SMF, the manual only seems to document that moderators (and therefore admins) can move topics.  Nothing under the User Manual Section that documents moving posts, although there is a grace period for modifying and deleting posts if the forums is configured to permit it (UKB currently has a grace period for modifying posts).

dave

#2 Re: Moving topics?
November 17, 2009, 09:43:48 am
I think this place would be fucking bedlam if normal users were able to move topics.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#3 Re: Moving topics?
November 17, 2009, 09:45:38 am
I think this place would be fucking bedlam if normal users were able to move topics.
Yeah - but I mean only your own topics, not other peoples..

Why would you want to move your own topic to somewhere else unless you had put it in the wrong forum?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Moving topics?
November 17, 2009, 09:51:41 am
Yes, but then what about someone who's indecisive and starts it one forum, moves it to another, then changes their mind.

Or start in one forum, someone else says "It should be in the other sub-forum" it gets moved by the original poster, then someone else says "No it should be in the log-pile".

You'll just end up with tons of "Moved" threads littering the forum.

Limited administration/moderation is there for a good reason.  As much as empowering people is desirable, its generally results in a complete mess.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#5 Re: Moving topics?
November 17, 2009, 09:56:06 am
Fair enough - it was only a suggestion. I just thought it may save Bubba some time and effort..

At least I started the topic in the right place  ;D

dave

#6 Re: Moving topics?
November 17, 2009, 10:02:46 am
Thing is, some users couldn't be relied upon not to move topics from the right place into the wrong place, if its  borderline topic, whihc then a mod or admin would have to move them back again....

In reality topics only get moved if its glaringly obvious and bubba or one of the mods actually spots it. The number that gets moves is very small as it is. There's probably plenty that we don't spot and a small amount of misplaced topics doesn't cause a problem. Actually there's probably tons of posts in bouldering/beta/locations that could be in one forum or another depending on which side of the bed the poster got out of that morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal