UKBouldering.com

Peak Park Legacy Project (Read 4079 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Peak Park Legacy Project
November 12, 2009, 05:24:25 pm
The Peak Park will be 60 in december. Five grand has been put aside for a legacy project.

Vote for which you'd like to see here.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:29:28 pm by Johnny Brown »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Peak Park Leagcy Project
November 12, 2009, 05:27:20 pm

"D" for me.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 12, 2009, 05:35:58 pm
I voted for E. The tree planting (D) seemed a bit vague, and I'd rather the trig points (C) were removed personally. The rest were a bit meh.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 12, 2009, 05:51:48 pm

I'm only thinking of future firewood supplies :)

underground

• forum hero
#4 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 13, 2009, 12:41:19 am
Oh god. Where do I start - this has turned me immediately into a grumpy old bastard.. I vote D, and although I'm well aware it's a National Park, and we're supposed to educate people about it and blah blah blah, half of that shit looks like it aims to pedestrianise or turn them into a giant theme park....

Project B - improve walkers' shelter and information point at Grindsbrook

Grindsbrook is one of the first points of interest on the Pennine Way, a short distance from Edale.
This project would add a window and door to the existing shelter (to stop sheep getting in) and benches outside, plus information about the landscape, heritage and wildlife.

Why the fuck is there any shelter here? It's a short distance from Edale, surely an ideal spot for the info boards? Giant waste of money. Walk on the hill, live by the hill.

Project C - repair and restore Stanage summit markers
The summit marker at Stanage Pole is a cultural heritage feature, marking the boundary between Derbyshire and Yorkshire and formerly marked the boundary between Mercia and Northumbria.
This project would repair and restore the historic summit markers of Stanage Pole and the trig points on Stanage Edge.

For the sake of it? Which moron had that idea? Big lumps of white concrete that don't need to be there any more...

Project D - plant 500 field and hedgerow trees
This project would plant and guard around 500 trees to help maintain the tree stock and provide a legacy for hundreds of years.
Trees and hedgerows improve the landscape and biodiversity of the national park and help negate the effects of climate change. They can also screen eyesores and mark entrances and exits to footpaths and fields.

I agree with this one, rather hedgerows than wire fences, and much of the Peak was Oak woodland once upon a time. Can't hurt and should be encouraged anyway IMO. I dunno what eyesores they mean - it'd take a lot of trees to screen Hope Valley cement works. Maybe they'd plant trees round the walker's shelter.

Project E - Update Peak District edition of 'New Naturalist' volume
Collins New Naturalist series is the longest-running and arguably the most influential natural history series in the world with more than 100 volumes published in 60 years.
This project would give the opportunity to update the Peak District volume, which was published in 1962.

I'm a great lover of New Nats and own quite a few; however the ones I really want are so collectable by virtue of painfully low print runs and 'first edition / leather bound first edition' elitism on the part of Harper Collins (and predecessors) that I can't afford / justify buying them. Which is a massive shame as some of the titles are the among the only 'definitive' works - 'British Bats' by John Altringham being a prime example - cheapest on ABE at the mo is 220 quid.  Nice idea but maybe very elitist and apart from 'those who know', who would ever read or benefit from a new, 'NN'?

Project F - Replace wooden sculptures at Tideswell Dale
Image as described above.
The land at Tideswell Dale includes a wooden sculpture trail which adds to visitors' enjoyment and understanding of the dale and its wildlife. This project would replace current weather-damaged sculptures and improve the look of the area.

Don't object in principle but find it lamentable that a 'sculpture trail' is needed at all. Lathkill dale has a little info board that you can download a document via bluetooth that does all this and more, and I bet Natural England didn't make a fucking big 60th anniversary fuss over it. However, there's a lot of woodland crafts folk who'd love to make and exhibit something for free to achieve this one.

Project G - Makeover for Monsal Head viewpoint
The Monsal Head viewpoint is one of the most visited in the national park, but its seating is old and shabby, and the main information panel is scratched.
This project would restore and, where necessary, replace the benches and plaque.

So we'll blow all the money on something that needs no help - 'visitors' are flocking here every day. The info boards should be maintained anyway, the PP have failed to manage the upkeep - seating, FFS. Who runs the massive car park up there, the council? Maybe them and the greedy pub should help out?

The whole thing seems like a giant sham and wasted opportunity, and reeks of detachment and detached 'management by committee'.

dave

#5 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 13, 2009, 08:56:22 am
All the options look a bit wack to me. My alternatives:

A. 20ft wooden scupture of Jason Myres erected at the plantation carpark.

B. 3ft Bronze statue (i.e. lifesize and colour) of Steve Mcclure erecting at the mecca belay.

C. A 4am nightbus running to the plantation every september. Free for anyone carrying a rollmat.

D. Fill in horseshoe quarry.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 13, 2009, 09:14:48 am
I'm a great lover of New Nats and own quite a few; however the ones I really want are so collectable by virtue of painfully low print runs and 'first edition / leather bound first edition' elitism on the part of Harper Collins (and predecessors) that I can't afford / justify buying them. Which is a massive shame as some of the titles are the among the only 'definitive' works - 'British Bats' by John Altringham being a prime example - cheapest on ABE at the mo is 220 quid.  Nice idea but maybe very elitist and apart from 'those who know', who would ever read or benefit from a new, 'NN'?

You can now buy any of them as
http://www.newnaturalists.com/PrintonDemand/Pages/Printondemand.aspx?page=2&objpodm=Print+on+Demand&sdt=1&sort=son
. Still expensive I know, but a great improvement. I think Collins should be lauded for persisting with such worthwhile but deeply non-commercial books.

The reason I voted for this is it is the one most capable of having long-term and far reaching effects. Much of the important work in this country is still done by amateurs. These books are one of the most powerful links between the academics and the amateurs.

The rest strike me as window dressing that the peak park should be doing anyway.

There were lots more in a similar vein that didn't make the final list.

29 staff, volunteers and members who came up with ideas to spend the £5,000 for a legacy project to mark the 60th anniversary of the legislation that created national parks.

Management team has selected a shortlist of seven ideas after taking advice from relevant heads of service and team managers about what ideas were viable, could be delivered on time and within the budget available. Many great ideas had to unfortunately be ruled out because they would cost a lot more money than we had.

fiveknuckle21

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 13, 2009, 09:47:01 am
All the options look a bit wack to me. My alternatives:

A. 20ft wooden scupture of Jason Myres erected at the plantation carpark.

B. 3ft Bronze statue (i.e. lifesize and colour) of Steve Mcclure erecting at the mecca belay.

C. A 4am nightbus running to the plantation every september. Free for anyone carrying a rollmat.

D. Fill in horseshoe quarry.

Haha  :lol: Fucking brilliant!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 13, 2009, 10:25:12 am
F. A huge pendulum with a life size mahogany carving of Big Ron at the bottom which oscillates across The Green Traverse 24/7. At the end of each swing the head will rotate so that it will be grinning in the direction of the next movement. A webcam and humidity/temperature monitor will be fitted in the head, providing internet users with up to date conditions reports. It is hoped that the RonOMeter will be almost as reliable as the real thing when it comes to assessing conditions at the Plantation.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 13, 2009, 10:47:32 am
If we want to measure humidity the meter might be better fitted to a giant hand flapping below the head.

underground

• forum hero
#10 Re: Peak Park Legacy Project
November 13, 2009, 12:33:04 pm
You can now buy any of them as
http://www.newnaturalists.com/PrintonDemand/Pages/Printondemand.aspx?page=2&objpodm=Print+on+Demand&sdt=1&sort=son
. Still expensive I know, but a great improvement. I think Collins should be lauded for persisting with such worthwhile but deeply non-commercial books.

The reason I voted for this is it is the one most capable of having long-term and far reaching effects. Much of the important work in this country is still done by amateurs. These books are one of the most powerful links between the academics and the amateurs.
You're right on both counts and I agree entirely. I've changed my mind now....
The rest strike me as window dressing that the peak park should be doing anyway.

There were lots more in a similar vein that didn't make the final list.

29 staff, volunteers and members who came up with ideas to spend the £5,000 for a legacy project to mark the 60th anniversary of the legislation that created national parks.

Management team has selected a shortlist of seven ideas after taking advice from relevant heads of service and team managers about what ideas were viable, could be delivered on time and within the budget available. Many great ideas had to unfortunately be ruled out because they would cost a lot more money than we had.
Still no excuse for doing something of questionable value...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal