UKBouldering.com

Mobile Phone laws (Read 2157 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 10:09:06 am
Ok, I spoke to me mam on the way home last night and she hung up on me when she realised I was in the car, so this prompted some investigation of the forthcoming law to restrict the use of mobile phones in cars.

Basically, from the 1/12 - Monday, it will be illegal to use a handheld mobile telephone whilst driving a car. The penalty is a £30 fixed penalty or up to £1,000 on conviction in court. Its non-endorsable - i.e. you won't get points - yet, there are plans to change this in the future.

The key bit of the new law is the 'handheld' part of it, if you have to hold the phone in anyway then its illegal, it must be in a cradle. Presumably then, its ok to use a phone in a cradle with a headset???

You may find this interesting...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 10:13:40 am
Yeah, think you've got it right there oh horsey one - cradle and headset is ok, but if you touch the thing you're scuppered.

It must be said, I have found myself doing stupid things with my phone whilst driving, so it's not such a bad thing really.

What somebody needs to come up with now is voice recognition to sms software and patent it - that'd be a killer app I reckon.

dave

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 10:14:50 am
Sorry y'all, I hadn't read the linked document completely when I posted. Re the use of headset question the following sentence applies:

"only those phones that had fixed speakers should be regarded as hands-free phones"

i.e. not headsets. Bugger. Re the SMS voice app, that would be excellent, unless you were a scouser!

dave

#4 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 10:17:05 am
"Charm down, I'll meet yous at seven by the fuching pub, then we'll go down the miiiirsey and chuch stones at the fuching ferry"

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 10:20:10 am
I reckon with a bluetooth headset in yer left lughole, and a discreet cradle somewhere on the dash, you're going to be unlikely to be fingered (oh err!).

I've got a wired in cradle already but it's for a Nokia, and not a SonyEricsson - damn!

I reckon somebody will already be onto the voice to text thingy - it's only one step away from voice dialing I suppose.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#6 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 03:40:27 pm
Quote from: "dave"
"Charm down, I'll meet yous at seven by the fuching pub, then we'll go down the miiiirsey and chuch stones at the fuching ferry"

dave

#7 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 03:42:43 pm
:worthy:  :lol:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#8 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 03:50:36 pm
me and my army..

dave

#9 Mobile Phone laws
November 27, 2003, 03:53:04 pm
I can pick out our Ba, our Ga, our Te, our Da, our Ke, our Fe, our Mi, our Lu, our Fre, our No, our Je, our...............

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal