technical > music production

osx really that good? (vs Linux)

(1/4) > >>

psykx:
Hey all,
I've been messing about with tunes on my PC running various linux apps and not getting horrendous results, I do normally find it tough to get an idea out of head onto the machine though. Is this just a 'practise makes perfect' thing or is buying a mac the best option? I wan't want because they are shiny anyway I just need some real reason. Also whats the deal with external sound cards with macs? a mate recommended a sapphire something break out box is it way good? what am I looking for?

slackline:
What software are you using and what software do you hope to use?

What hardware are you currently using?  How does it stack up against that in Mac you're considering?

I know nothing about music production on any computer, but this basic information should be your starting point.

Iesu:
most macs have internal firewire ports for higher data throughput which is fine and dandy if you have a firewire compatible external sound card (edirol do one). BUT i've heard bad stuff about poor quality driver issues causing noise interference problems on certain macs - maybe in the long distant past now.

having waggled about with cubase and logic I'd say logic is the more intuitive (only meddled with it in the shop, not actually recorded anything into it) but then I'm a mac person and it looks nice to my eyes. Been considering getting the express version.

why do you want a new computer if your linux set-up is working for you already?
I want shiny stuff too, but is it really worth it? are you recording mp3 demos in your bedroom or pressing your material onto 45s?

dinomarcus:
Hey dude,
Linux is the best of osx because I using Linux and it is must wondering to me,
I also prefer Linux...........

slackline:

--- Quote from: dinomarcus on October 21, 2010, 09:09:33 am ---Hey dude,
Linux is the best of osx because I using Linux and it is must wondering to me,
I also prefer Linux...........

--- End quote ---

A appreciate that english may not be your first language, but you're increasingly making yourself look like either a Spambot or an idiot.  Linux is not the best of osx as you assert.  They are completely seperate entities although they share a very similar architect and history.

OSX is based on BSD (Berkley Software Distribution) whilst Linux (which strictly speaking only refers to the kernel of the OS, the rest of the stuff that lets you use your computer is from GNU so really it should always be referred to as GNU/Linux) was written from scratch by Linux Torvalds et al..

This gives an overview of the history and relatedness of the various *NIX

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version