UKBouldering.com

Cool places to Boulder in January (Read 7944 times)

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#25 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 12:09:28 pm
Quote from: "AndyR"

Plus, I love burgers  :D

For a moment I thought you said Buggers!  :bang: (and had to do a double take although I wasnt suprised)

Is that really you in the photo, It's nice to put a face to a name.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 12:21:08 pm
not as extensive as font, but major variety in terms of views, rock types, climbing styles etc.

Weird - I've heard some slag it off because they reckon the climbing is all the same - pulling up sharp crimps!

I'd like to go even if just for the scenery.

AndyR

• forum hero
#27 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 01:29:41 pm
Quote from: "FH"

Is that really you in the photo, It's nice to put a face to a name.

Yep, that's me - obviously, I have to fly over from Dublin every other day to go bouldering at the plantation.....

AndyR

• forum hero
#28 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 01:41:42 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
Weird - I've heard some slag it off because they reckon the climbing is all the same - pulling up sharp crimps!

The scenery really is stunning, and the walks up onto the mountains are superb (if you like that kind of thing - probably herecy to even mention wa*king on here).

Well, a good bit of the climbing is on granite, so there are sharp crimps, but I remember there being loads of different styles - particularly at the Happys (and I guess the other tableslands areas, but I didn't go to them).

Dunno how you could find anything wrong with the place to be honest - seemed like nirvana to me - burgers, masses of great bouldering, hot springs, warm weather, great mountain biking, crazy red indians in pubs, loads of climbing birds in skimpy tops, did I mention burgers?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#29 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 01:46:42 pm
probably herecy to even mention wa*king on here

We all have sexual tensions that need to be relieved, my son.

crazy red indians in pubs

Ulk! Bubba expects an inbox full of outraged emails from the States - I think the correct  term is American Indians these days.

It sounds well good - Fatboy may tell us differently with tales of extreme boredom in the town and an attitude-laden scene, but I'd certainly still like to visit.

AndyR

• forum hero
#30 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 01:53:48 pm
"]crazy red indians in pubs

Ulk! Bubba expects an inbox full of outraged emails from the States - I think the correct  term is American Indians these days.

Doh, sorry, but he was quite mad and pissed (in the english sense), and his name was two-feathers, and I don't think he was having us on.

O.K., how about 'reality-challenged, inebriated native americans'  :wink:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 07:10:31 pm

Dunno how you could find anything wrong with the place to be honest - seemed like nirvana to me - burgers, masses of great bouldering, hot springs, warm weather, great mountain biking, crazy red indians in pubs, loads of climbing birds in skimpy tops, did I mention burgers?

And, lest we forget, Mammoth Mountain with its superb skiing and boarding an hour or so away and, if it tickles ya, Ice climbing in Lee Vining Canyon.

I thought for granite it was pretty variable. Crimps predominate, but also a fair bit of slopy stuff, and pockets. More to the Granite than just Butermilks. Druids are superb. Happys and Sads are less attractive visually, but holds vary a lot, from steep and juggy to pockets and crimps. Top notch.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#32 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 28, 2003, 08:08:40 pm
Ah yes, NortonSharley and Mrs NortonSharley did a snowboarding/bouldering trip out there a few winters ago - sounds like a great combination.

Where are you liftie-ing this time Chris?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#33 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 30, 2003, 05:27:20 pm

Where are you liftie-ing this time Chris?

I am going back to Winter Park, Co for another great season. Dont think I will be doing a road trip at the end of this season, doubt money will allow it. Hopefully get a couple of weeks making the most of the Front Range stuff that I missed out on last year, or maybe grab a week or two around Bishop.

If you fancy a bit of powder you should get out Bubba, you could easily combine it with a bit of bouldering at Horsetooth Res, etc.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#34 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 30, 2003, 06:29:23 pm
I'm out of holiday 'til next April now  :cry:

Got a cheap week at Meribel in January booked though  :D

I've got to work more holiday up next year so i can get back out to Whistler or somewhere Stateside.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#35 Cool places to Boulder in January
November 30, 2003, 10:19:29 pm
Unlike Europe, Stateside snow stays in good nick until the end of April. If I was going stateside, I think a Bishop/Mammoth Mountain combo would be choice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal