UKBouldering.com

March/April destinations for rocky fun please? (Read 1773 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
Looking to get away for 1 or 2 weeks (depending on costs and distance) in March/April and have both no idea and equally too many ideas as to where to go...

We're into bouldering and sport climbing in fairly equal measures not up to any particular standard 6a routes and boulders at the top end - but the places I've seen seem to offer either one or the other. Current thoughts are:
Hampi –  No routes.
Krabi & surrounds (Thailand) – No bouldering?
Paklenica (Croatia) – No bouldering?

Other contenders:
Malta - Sport
Kalymnos (Greece) - Sport
Costa Blanca / Mallorca (Spain – Sport & DWS
Todra Gorge

We've been to Slovenija and Sardinia already and whilst both were excellent, we're keen to go somewhere different. (We're going to Font on a seperate trip hence it not being in the list)

Does anyone have any strong recomendations for places to go or avoid?

I've done lots of web research, possibly too much, so have no idea what to narrow it down to.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
What about South Afrika?  Routes and boulders aplenty in Rocklands I hear.

Durbs

• forum hero
 :lol: Argh, more options!
Probably too far/pricey to get too - but will add it to the mix.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You could fly to SA for similar or less than hampi and Thailand, and no jetlag. You could bung Bishop in California into the mix as well - ace bouldering and some sport clipping at Owen's River and Clark Canyon. There are loads of places in the Alps that offer sport and bouldering quite close together.

Durbs

• forum hero
Yeah - I thought about the alps but reasoned it would be too cold/snowy - we're not particular hard-core climbers (especially the girls) so would be looking for something with a little warmth.

Thought about Bishop - everytime I see photos it looks incredible - is the US cheap in terms of living costs for 2 weeks?
Hampi's attractive for this reason, having been to India before, once you're there it's surprisingly hard to spend more than £5 a day...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Dollar rate is pretty good at the moment, but who knows what will happen by next April. You can fly to Reno, SF or LA, pick up a cheap hire car and get a motel room in Bishop for not too much money. Only other expenses are beer and visits to Vons for groceries and evening meals. And lift passes if you fancy a "rest" day at Mammoth Ski Resort.

Stubbs

Early March would be OK for Bishop, but you don't really want to be there any later than that as it'll be too hot for a lot of stuff.  It is an amazing destination and the Buttermilk are my favourite bouldering destination that I've visited worldwide.

Accommodation is pretty much as cheap as you want it, the Pit campsite is $2 a night for a pitch, has long drop toilets but no running water (but you can get water free from all the gas stations in town).  There are a variety of slightly more upmarket campsites (showers, etc) that will be open by that time of year, and if you have a bit more dough to spend, it's usually possible to get deals in the motels in town (around $50 a night usually but you can normally get $200/week or thereabouts).

People climbing at your sort of grade usually seem to prefer the Happy and Sad boulders to the Buttermilk, and the sport climbing at Owen's River Gorge starts from quite low grades.  I recommend checking out the latest bouldering guide when you are in a shop or at the wall, one of the most inspiring guidebooks I own!

EDIT: and what Chris said.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal