UKBouldering.com

Urban (?) Bikes (Read 15531 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#25 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 05, 2010, 06:01:30 pm
Bought the Giant today, rides a bit like a BMX: very fast steering.

The brakes are a bit sharp but I guess you get used to that.  Not sure what they were thinking w/ the bars though, they're really wide; takes me back to when cow horns were all the rage, they'll be shortened by an inch either side.  On the whole it seems OK for a €600 budget bike.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#26 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 05, 2010, 09:32:57 pm
or a cotic roadrat

I plumped for one of those in the end, instead of the orange Trek District from a recent post.  Went singlespeed in the end with discs.  Commute is from Walkley to West Street.  Should be OK as the only hill is Winter Street and onto South Road.  Can't wait till it comes, but I can wait until the snow disappears.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#27 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 08, 2010, 11:47:02 am
I have a Cotic Roadrat at the moment, really like it.
Feels like a slightly beefed up road-bike but much snappier handling than your typical hybrid machines, currently running mine fixed-gear with a Hope Mini up front, and time atacs.
I think what I love about them is the versatility of them, fixed/SS/gears no problem, disc brakes front and rear no problem, big tyres skinny tyres whatever, great bikes and the ride quality is pretty good to which is always a bonus, although the fork flexes a little too much for my liking under heavy braking.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 03:41:51 pm
My bike is going downhill fast at the mo, and I don't mean in a good way. Was considering a strip down and rebuild, but at 18 years old I should maybe bin it. SoI need a new (to me) bike soonish. Going from Fulwood to The Foundry, so no fixies obviously, odd longer ride in the summer.
Budget £150 absolute max.
Smallish frame (I'm 5'8"), and I don't like wide handlebars.
Currently looking at second hand hybrids on ebay, Carreras etc. Any thoughts, ideas on what to look out for avoid? Or old hybrids in garages needing a new home? Thanks.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#29 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 07:29:24 pm
Just saw your '£150' limit, so may be not suitable, however if your dead-set on a hybrid style this Kona may be worth saving up for.

Still nearly £300 in most shops. Looks kinda cool in Black.

Not many obvious bargains around it seems, Halfords have some Apollos half price but not known for their quality, I'd be tempted to get a mountain bike in reasonable nick and get some road tyres for it, cut down the handlebars etc to suit your needs.

The state of Sheffield roads at the mo you almost need full-sus on the tarmac!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#31 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 09:39:21 pm
Cheers for the ideas, but I'm going second hand I think. Seen plenty of £350 bikes going for >£150 on ebay.

I'd be tempted to get a mountain bike in reasonable nick and get some road tyres for it

Already got one of those, pretty keen on a hybrid. I know the roads can be bad, luckily the worst bit of Fulwood road has just been resurfaced. Can you still get those hinged handlebar stems that offer a bit of suspension without proper sus forks?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#32 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 09:54:01 pm
The Flexstem?

That was proper oldschool...

I'd try to find a secondhand cross bike on ebay.  nothing that immediately jumps out at the moment, apart from a jake the snake in dorset and an alan with a damaged headtube.  (that sounds a bit weird...)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 09:59:08 pm
Err, thanks, I'm think that's what I'm doing (wtf is a jake the snake?). I remember a much more compact hinge thing than that, but sounds like they're not an option.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#34 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 10:00:17 pm
i'd just get a 2nd hand road bike... it'll be faster. just avoid the potholes. much more of such genre about 2nd hand,so you'll get more bike for your buck.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#35 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 10:10:36 pm
Jake the Snake is a Kona cross bike -

Fatdoc does have a point though.  You could get a pretty good old (or even not so old) roadbike.  If you fitted 25mm or even 28mm tyres on it you'd be well on your way...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#36 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 10:13:52 pm
The 'Gavin' stem, classic, combine one with a suspension seatpost and you've got a full sus! Can't think why they didn't catch on.  :shrug:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 10:32:31 pm
Yeah I clocked that. Can't see it coming in under £300 though?

Cheers guys, I'll keep an eye on road bikes too. Not that psyched for drop bars in traffic though.

Duma

• forum hero
#39 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 25, 2010, 10:52:56 pm
Not that psyched for drop bars in traffic though.
that's what the hoods are for...

Seriously, it sounds like you're on the right track - in your price range, second hand is the way to go (please try to be sure it isn't nicked though, ebay has a lot of dodgy goods on it and I've lost most of the bikes I've owned to thieves. Kill the market, stop the thieves etc.) Sounds like that hybrid would be right up your street (though as you say, I'd be amazed if it goes within your price range), but be aware that focusing on that sort of thing will reduce your options enormously - there's loads of road bikes out there which means many more bargins. (and they really are fine in traffic, it's not some sort of dark art riding a road bike)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#40 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 27, 2010, 10:59:49 pm
Well I wouldn't recommend the Giant I bought (though I don't necessarily regret buying it).

It looks likes it was forged by Dwarves; the forks...  I don't think I've seen beefier forks.

It's over-geared for it's normal usage but will appreciate every gear as soon as this bastard ice thaws and I can get out w/out freezing my fingers off.

I look at it now and wonder how I can make it lighter and faster... though, always in the back of my mind I know I'm a careless yob and it's better off being built like a tank and that it'll really help w/ getting better at running.  I'll weigh it later since we bought digi scales to weigh the yoof.

I'm converted to discs!  Great!  They make you go faster for longer.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#41 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 28, 2010, 07:07:10 am
jb, cheap bikes in frame sizes around 50cm i'm guessing, not so common on teh bay.

frames however..

... or original 135mm blue pompino frame in medium
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:38:32 am by soapy »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#42 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 28, 2010, 09:06:06 am
Thanks for the tip. Not sure I know enough about bikes to start a building project... mainly for commuting after all. Maybe I'll wade into the LagerStarFishBikeProject thread...

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#43 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 28, 2010, 10:44:15 am

tomtom

• forum hero
#44 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
January 28, 2010, 10:48:55 am
Grr.. just spent £130 on tyres, lights, mudguards, lock etc.. to roadify my MTB..  might have been tempted otherwise..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#45 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
February 02, 2010, 06:10:29 pm
A local one that is worth watching...could be a bargain

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hybrid-Race-Bike-white_W0QQitemZ270520583233QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item3efc488441#ht_500wt_975

Dammit, £284, should have bid! Any other heads up on ebay bargains much appreciated, my front derailleur is still seized.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#46 Re: Urban (?) Bikes
March 31, 2010, 09:28:18 pm
  I'll weigh it later

RE:  The Giant monstrosity I purchased earlier this year.  13KG naked, 14KG w/ lock.  My thighs are not what they used to be as a scrawny climber.  I'm still the fastest thing on the road though, there's no-one I won't race.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal