UKBouldering.com

Fit bits (Read 3835 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Fit bits
December 11, 2016, 02:43:51 pm

No - not another DFBWGC thread...

Anyone got one of these, or another brand. Son has asked for one for Christmas, and I'm just wondering how much he'll get out of it, (other than it being a quite expensive watch for a 10 year old)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Fit bits
December 11, 2016, 03:17:43 pm
I bought one for my other half nearly two years ago.  She has used it every day since.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Fit bits
December 11, 2016, 06:11:17 pm
They're pretty much a not-particularly-accurate pedometer along with an HR monitor if you get one with that built in.

I've got a Charge HR. It's not been used for months.

Useful as an incentive to move more but not much use for an active child like yours imho.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Fit bits
December 11, 2016, 06:25:19 pm
I'd not bother with the optical HR sensor ones, from my experience they aren't very accurate. I've got an Alta but wear it more out of habit than anything. It did initially motivate me to do more but have kind of fallen in to old habits of late. And if I go out for a run I am more interested in the distance I've covered and vertical than steps taken. I'd agree with others that it's an expensive version of a watch for a 10 year old but thats not to say don't get them one. Oh, and the earlier versions of Fitbit's had a terrible design of strap and clasp which either came undone (lost one somewhere in Geneva airport) or start to come apart at the joins (two replaced under warranty inside 18 months).

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Fit bits
December 11, 2016, 08:56:51 pm
My daughter's little cousins (9 and 12) have Garmins and seem quite keen on them, dare say they are more accurate

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Fit bits
December 12, 2016, 12:55:51 pm
My Mum uses her daily; that said, she does so after having had major heart surgery to keep a record of the funky things her heart now does (in the middle of the night) and when attempting to resume normal exercise.

Durbs

• forum hero
#6 Re: Fit bits
December 12, 2016, 05:27:48 pm
I (foolishly) pre-ordered the new S3 in a fit of madness, wore it for a day and then sent it back as a) it was really uncomfortable and b) it was silly expensive.

During the one day I did wear it however, it was quite useful/interesting for things like resting heart rate, "do something" prompts, and checking messages without looking at phone.

Does you son want one for the health-side of a FitBit, or the smart-watch part of it?
(Or, like me, the "cool gadget factor"...)

Strangely, I would re-buy the S3 if I got a bonus (which my job doesn't really give, so I'm pretty safe in that respect). It was a very cool gadget, but a watch and a smartphone give you the same functionality really, just in two different places.

And being told to "do some activity" when you're in a 8-hour training session doesn't really help.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Fit bits
December 12, 2016, 08:30:28 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/06/30/stepping-out-3

Sorry if that link doesn't work. Just Google "David Sedaris Stepping Out".

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#8 Re: Fit bits
December 13, 2016, 11:40:38 am
I got this jarg one off Amazon for the wife back in August. She uses it every day and I've been well impressed for 15 fuck alls...

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Fit bits
December 13, 2016, 11:49:15 am
I got an apple watch for a 2 Birthdays + 1 xmas present combined recently... happy to post a mini review if anyone is interested...

SamT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Fit bits
December 13, 2016, 08:17:30 pm

Cheers for the feedback guys.  Looking around now. He seems pretty keen on one. Heart rate is one of the features he's keen on, but seems to come at a cost in excess of what I was hoping to pay. 

Hmmm.  :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Fit bits
December 14, 2016, 10:40:40 am
Does he want GPS, or just measuring steps?

I've got an old HRM watch he can have for a few FAs, wear on the other wrist to the fitbit. No GPS or anything though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal