UKBouldering.com

DnB recommendations please.. (Read 11050 times)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
DnB recommendations please..
October 21, 2009, 04:33:56 pm
Need something new and decent to listen to, can any DnB gurus recommend any new mixes or albums? Nothing too dark/heavy nor slow/mellow either. I like lively stuff with good bass lines.

Faves for me are Calyx/Teebee/Hype and Aphrodite - I really like the hip hop remixes, the bass lines blend well  ;D

Don't really listen to a lot of dnb, trance/hardstyle is the norm for me so I don't follow the DnB scene...

Thanks guys

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: DnB recommendations please..
October 21, 2009, 05:11:58 pm

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: DnB recommendations please..
October 21, 2009, 05:35:17 pm
Nothing too dark/heavy nor slow/mellow either.

Well that's my suggestions out then  ;)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#3 Re: DnB recommendations please..
October 22, 2009, 08:08:03 am
There's been a short thread about it.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,10528.0.html

I only read the first few pages - and they all seemed to be single tracks on Youtube, I will read more  :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: DnB recommendations please..
October 22, 2009, 08:13:39 pm
I'm sure a few people have asked this before and I've answered in the Fresh and Funky Beats thread, have a look through that...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#5 Re: DnB recommendations please..
October 23, 2009, 07:16:46 am
Nice one, thanks Fiend..

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: DnB recommendations please..
October 23, 2009, 03:38:42 pm
For anyone that is interested, I have found a great site for downloading DnB sets for free. Apologies if this site has been mentioned in the other threads, I haven't had time to go through them yet.

Just type in what you want to search for at the very top and start downloading  :great:

http://www.dnb-sets.de

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 01:08:58 pm
After heading to Plug last week for the Viper Records tour (Ed Rush & Optical / J Majik / Futurebound /etc.) and having a thoroughly good evening thought I'd check out their website for some mixes.

Just listening to a few now, and they're not too bad.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#8 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 01:34:32 pm
Great stuff - thanks very much slack---line.

Downloading now!  :great:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 02:06:44 pm
Unfortunately most of the mixes are no longer hosted on the site, except the top three or so  :thumbsdown:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#10 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 02:33:19 pm
Unfortunately most of the mixes are no longer hosted on the site, except the top three or so  :thumbsdown:

;D Yeah - I found that out too. I thought 'bloody hell - that was fast' then the penny dropped :)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#11 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 02:35:11 pm
However if you try the site above I mentioned, it seems to have a few (the search button is right at the top, not too easy to spot):

http://www.dnb-sets.de/?suche=viper

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 02:43:46 pm
BTW Tris, if you're after some sets get yourself over to The Mixing Bowl (TMB) tons of DnB on there.  Torrent based and you're expected to maintain a decent ratio, but tons of goodies (e.g. I've got the complete Essential Mixes from 1997-2008!!!)

In the mean time you might find some of the mixes at my site to your taste, theres various Essential Mixes (the Gui Borratto one stunning) and a 3hr Surgeon set from Fabric that Bubba linked a while back (currently waiting for someone to reseed a 3hr Fabric set from 2007 of Andrew Weatherall over on TMB).

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#13 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 03:01:01 pm
BTW Tris, if you're after some sets get yourself over to The Mixing Bowl (TMB) tons of DnB on there.  Torrent based and you're expected to maintain a decent ratio, but tons of goodies (e.g. I've got the complete Essential Mixes from 1997-2008!!!)
Cool - I will take a look, I have a machine on it's own ADSL that just sits and seeds for most of the time so shouldn't be an issue!   :)

In the mean time you might find some of the mixes at my site to your taste, theres various Essential Mixes (the Gui Borratto one stunning) and a 3hr Surgeon set from Fabric that Bubba linked a while back (currently waiting for someone to reseed a 3hr Fabric set from 2007 of Andrew Weatherall over on TMB).
:beer2:
Nice one, you don't have any bandwidth/dl limits do you (I see it's .ac so I presume not?)
Don't want to cause you to breach any limits...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 03:03:21 pm
Cool - I will take a look, I have a machine on it's own ADSL that just sits and seeds for most of the time so shouldn't be an issue!   :)

Thats what I have my NAS set up to do (although turn it off if my traffic is being shaped by my ISP and I want to browse the net).

:beer2:
Nice one, you don't have any bandwidth/dl limits do you (I see it's .ac so I presume not?)
Don't want to cause you to breach any limits...

No, no limits, its sat at University of Manchester, where I last worked back in 2005, but I still have root access and its only used by people who still work there irregularly for a few things :D

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#15 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 03:22:11 pm
I will download the Gui Borratto one now   :great: (something to listen to on way home from work!). Thank you...

Which Fabric (number) is it that you are after? We have a 2TB share here where people dump music/films for sharing. I have checked and there is a Fabric Live folder with no's 1 - 28 in there. There may be more elsewhere. Not ran a search yet.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 03:26:57 pm
Which Fabric (number) is it that you are after? We have a 2TB share here where people dump music/films for sharing. I have checked and there is a Fabric Live folder with no's 1 - 28 in there. There may be more elsewhere. Not ran a search yet.

Not a number but a 3hr recording of Andrew Weatherall live at Fabric and in checking for that link I noticed someone has kindly started reseeding it, get in :D

Eddies

• forum hero
#17 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 06:53:15 pm
Dillinja
Lemon D
Shy-FX
Grooverider
Roni Size
Goldie

All classic roots DnB, cant go wrong with any of that shizzle in this drizzle!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 07:15:03 pm

Kenny Ken.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#19 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 07:23:49 pm
Dillinja
Lemon D
Shy-FX
Grooverider
Roni Size
Goldie

All classic roots DnB, cant go wrong with any of that shizzle in this drizzle!

Cheers - have got various stuff by those guys, apart from 'Lemon D' - never come across him/her/them...
I will start to Google  ;D

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#20 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 07:25:56 pm

Kenny Ken.

Is he still DJing? I have an old mix from the old Fantazia days which is spoiled by some dick MC drowning out the music with his bullshit spiel every 5 secs...(and yes I know that's what MC's are supposed to do, but this one was chatting shit and you couldn't hear the music)

Any mixes I should look out for?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:55:26 pm by Tris »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 07:29:17 pm
Lucky slackers. The DNB scene up in Glasgow seems to be utter choad. Not that I could dance at the moment anyway tho  >:(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 06, 2009, 08:51:50 pm

Kenny Ken.

Saw him at Plug around xmas last year, fucking brilliant.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#23 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 09, 2009, 03:12:55 pm
So I joined and have downloaded a few things, but am not getting very fast speeds compared to other torrents from public/non-registered sites.

Is this the norm? I have only done 3 things so far so obviously not got a lot to base this on, it's just they have each peaked at around 5kb...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 09, 2009, 03:25:23 pm
So I joined and have downloaded a few things, but am not getting very fast speeds compared to other torrents from public/non-registered sites.

Is this the norm? I have only done 3 things so far so obviously not got a lot to base this on, it's just they have each peaked at around 5kb...

It depends on the mix and how new it is/how many people are seeding.

There seems to be a lot of consternation recently about poor torrent rates.

Things to consider...

How many people are seeding?

If there's only a few, their upload rates are going to have a major influence?

Is there any traffic shaping going on, either at your end, or at the seeders end (particularly an issue when there are only a few people seeding as per above)?

Are the seeders seeding lots and restricting each torrent to a maximum XXkb/s?

Obviously lots of these can't be answered/quantified, but the beauty is you can just leave it to sit there and do its thing*. I never quite get why people are impatient to get free stuff  ??? (not a personal dig, but a general comment).

The TMB Wiki has some guides for specific clients and is a really useful resource for the site overall.  Probably the best thing to read there is the HowTo Become Connectable.

* Even better is if you get a NAS that has a GNU/Linux to which you can add things to and stick transmission on there, run it headlessly and then use the WebUI to manage torrents (means you don't have to have a behemoth computer on using lots of power whilst d/ling your torrents).

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#25 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 09, 2009, 03:35:17 pm
No, as I said it's compared to other sites. I just thought they may be having issues with trackers? They only seem to use one?

I have currently got lots of stuff downloading from various other public sites like m1n1nova, th3p1rat3bay and a few other private ones like d3mono1d with similar numbers of seeds/peers and they are all about 10 times faster.

Therefore I would hazard a guess that my pc/torrent client/adsl line is not at fault...

I realise it is not an exact science, and I only have 3 to compare to. I will download some more, guess I may just have been unlucky with the torrents I chose :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: DnB recommendations please..
November 09, 2009, 03:40:31 pm
No, as I said it's compared to other sites. I just thought they may be having issues with trackers? They only seem to use one?

I have currently got lots of stuff downloading from various other public sites like m1n1nova, th3p1rat3bay and a few other private ones like d3mono1d with similar numbers of seeds/peers and they are all about 10 times faster.

Therefore I would hazard a guess that my pc/torrent client/adsl line is not at fault...

I realise it is not an exact science, and I only have 3 to compare to. I will download some more, guess I may just have been unlucky with the torrents I chose :)

Those other trackers likely have many, many more seeders the TMB, try grabbing the most recent Essential Mix that will have been upped over the weekend, it'll have loads of seeders, likely come through in 10mins or so.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: DnB recommendations please..
December 09, 2009, 02:16:49 pm
Loads to grab at http://dnbshare.com

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#28 Re: DnB recommendations please..
December 09, 2009, 02:28:25 pm
Loads to grab at http://dnbshare.com
Getting some nice fast download speeds  :thumbsup:  :great:

They had an aphrodite mix which I haven't got, cheers...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#29 Re: DnB recommendations please..
December 10, 2009, 04:44:09 am
The DNB scene up in Glasgow seems to be utter choad.

Stick w/ techno in Glas'  explore Slab of the Tabernacle nights.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal