UKBouldering.com

The Modern Warfare 2 thread (Read 60511 times)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#175 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
February 19, 2010, 11:07:53 am
will add you FD - i Entropic i

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#176 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
February 19, 2010, 11:43:50 am

I'll add you guys but tbh I'm usually on at 3am or some stupid time like that at the moment

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#177 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
February 19, 2010, 03:22:46 pm
Thanks guys - you can use me to draw fire and reveal the locations of your enemies. Just remember to duck when I start shooting.

I read this thread last night and then went and played a couple of hours of demolition - really good fun and better than the random death-from-nowhere in FFA or Team Deathmatch.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Paul B

• forum hero
#179 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
March 15, 2010, 12:19:06 pm
Bought this recently on a rec from Bubb's. I found the campaign mode to be pretty dull but special ops and online (Xbox live) are awesome (unlike me).

My KD ratio is appalling and I think I went down the wrong route; I used Sub-machine guns throughout and now I have the vector with thermal sight and it just seems a bit mismatched.

Whats everyone else rolling with?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#180 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
March 15, 2010, 12:27:13 pm
I'm a noob-tuber atm in my continuing quest for more nukes. So, ACR primary (great assault rifle, zero recoil) with grenade launcher, and "danger close" perk to get more bang for my buck. People hate me for it but I don't care :)

Anyone think the BF2 multiplayer is better than MW2? I've heard good things about it.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#181 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
March 20, 2010, 09:36:30 am
Played the BF2 demo quite a bit, it looks good more role orientated than MW2. A bit more like WoW's tank, dps, healer set up which works quite nicely. My friends have given good feedback from it so may pick it up today and try it out I guess. Thing I'm worried about is that it's reliant on having a coordinated team, rather than MW2 that you can play a more solo game.

That ACR/DC/OMA was the set up I used to go for my nukes, I got 3 then decided it would be more fun to prestige and get into quick scoping; as effective as noob tubing is, it's not a very satisfying way to get kill streaks!

Vector/thermal is a very odd choice! I normally use the UMP, but might try the vector/silencer this prestige. Running it with scavenger/stopping power/commando on maps like Scrapyard.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#182 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
March 20, 2010, 10:52:27 am
I bought BFBC2.

Single player, though a bit short is way better than MW2 - feels less obviously corridored (though of course it still is) but it just feels better to play. Usual USA vs those pesky Ruskis storyline, rather cliched but whatever. Played it through on "normal" and it was a bit easy so have started again on "hard" and it's much better, you can't just charge about.

The MP is totally different to MW2. The slayer style game is ok, but it's all a bit too open - I miss the claustrophobia and close combat that you get with MW2 or the smaller H3 maps. The other game types are massive, epic battles. Good fun in their own way but I'm still undecided whether it's a keeper - need to give it more time really.

The squad setup, assault (general assault rifle slayer) / engineer (taking out & repairing vehicles) / medic (fixing other players) / recon (sniper) is quite interesting and with a good team would probably offer some very rewarding gameplay.

As you say, you are a little reliant on random players, e.g. I've only been healed by a medic once so far. I'm still playing a pretty solo game as an assault player, just to get a general feel for things and tbh that's my favourite way to play. Once I've got some reasonable guns, etc I'll try the other classes too.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#183 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
March 21, 2010, 10:21:15 am

Forgot to say, BC2 runs on dedicated servers rather than the p2p systems of MW2/H3/etc. This makes for pretty much no lag, although of course we still get out-shot by the yanks as I suspect (not entirely sure) that the servers will be all US based.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#184 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
March 30, 2010, 05:07:31 pm

Did anyone get the new maps? Any good?

I've not played MW2 since I started on BC2, but just wondering whether they are worth getting.

I'm kind of preferring BC2 at the moment. It's more tactical, though I do miss the close quarters combat of MW2.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#185 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
March 31, 2010, 02:01:43 pm
New maps are OK but I guess it's hard to tell having only played a few hours on them. The COD4 maps are probably the best of the pack.

Two of the maps are quite linear, more like scrapyard than Afgan. At the moment, I'd say they were average maps, not as good as the majority from the original release. Annoyingly the double XP only applies to the new maps played on the "Stimulus" playlist which means you have to play stuff like CTF. I'm not sure you can even get the new maps on the other playlists either. To be fair, the games of domination and demolition I played on the new maps were all good, so my opinion on the new maps could be soiled by having to play game types I don't normally enjoy on them.

Couldn't tell what the OMA nerf was, but I think they might just have added a second to the switching time, you still get a full load out and can still have 2 claymores with it etc.

I tried BC2 but really couldn't get into the game play as a sniper. The parallel levelling annoyed me as well, that as the recon class, going into vehicles or even knife kills were just wasting time from levelling to get better sniper rifles. Marksman headshots were pretty cool, having turret machine guns next to spawns wasn't.

Paul B

• forum hero
#186 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
April 01, 2010, 05:32:41 pm
I've added you - i'm "Veiny Spear" - I'm on at weird times of day though.

How's it been going from mouse/keyboard to a controller?

I'm on under Bennp2000

but if all of this glitching bollocks continues I'm going to part-ex for something else. Unlimitied care packages. Weird running at the speed of light. Bubb's says they get banned quickly but its not hapenning quick enough for my liking.

BC2 might be the way to go I feel.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#187 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
April 01, 2010, 10:25:59 pm
pretty sure all the glitching has been stopped now, certainly the care package glitches were patched out a while ago.

New maps are growing on me now I've played more games on them.

Paul B

• forum hero
#188 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
April 01, 2010, 10:52:52 pm
the running at the speed of light was the worst and it was still going yesterday.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#189 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
April 01, 2010, 10:59:35 pm
I tried BC2 but really couldn't get into the game play as a sniper. The parallel levelling annoyed me as well, that as the recon class, going into vehicles or even knife kills were just wasting time from levelling to get better sniper rifles. Marksman headshots were pretty cool, having turret machine guns next to spawns wasn't.
I'm pretty converted now. To be a rounded player you need to level all four classes anyway really so you can switch roles within your squad as the battle dictates. I've unlocked everything for all classes now - it took a while but then I was on holiday with a knackered ankle :)

The intensity of some of the games is amazing, and the audio puts MW2 to shame. All in all it's better balanced imo, there's nothing like a nuke and the limited spawns system encourages people to think about their play. Now I've levelled everything I've got to find some other people to form a squad.

One downside is I don't hear much communication going on, but most people are still frantically levelling classes. There also seems to be a predominance of recon players who just sit at the back of the map and snipe which is pretty boring.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal