UKBouldering.com

Lanterns for your night sessions (Read 28506 times)

KH

• addict
#50 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
January 22, 2010, 02:03:49 pm

I definitely use 12V, 14V and 18V with mine but I think the 24V have a different shaped connection.

Andy,

Do you get a longer running time with higher voltage batteries?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#51 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
January 22, 2010, 02:42:51 pm
The light is noticably brighter with higher voltages, but the important thing to look out for is the Amp Hour (AmpH) rating, this varies in my batteries from 1.2 to 2.6 and will majorly affect their running time, and cost.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#52 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
January 22, 2010, 02:50:43 pm
You've just reminded me that I've been meaning to PM you about a problem at Kennelgarth Wall. I'll send that when I get the chance.

bigdrew

• regular
#53 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 05, 2010, 12:16:44 am
Hi all, Sorry to bump such a old topic but I thought it would be better than starting a new one!

I was pretty much decided on picking up the Coleman northstar petrol lantern after reading this thread when I stumbled on one of the Devalt things for 56 quid here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEWALT-DC022-AREA-LIGHT-110v-DOUBLE-CHARGER-7-2-18v-/390194580252?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5ad968cb1c

I already have a 110V transformer so that's no issue.

Do many people on here use these? I'm guessing its not the easiest thing to carry around, and I'm pretty worried about the battery life, especially in the cold. Can you get away with one battery as they are pretty expensive! (Around 50 quid each for the 18V)

Also I've never bouldered at night, Do you manage to go through the winter on dry nights, or does it end up damp and grim. Its a good chunk of money what ever you buy so I want to make sure it will get used!

Thanks for your help,

Andy.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#54 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 05, 2010, 08:51:40 am
Hi all, Sorry to bump such a old topic but I thought it would be better than starting a new one!

I was pretty much decided on picking up the Coleman northstar petrol lantern after reading this thread when I stumbled on one of the Devalt things for 56 quid here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEWALT-DC022-AREA-LIGHT-110v-DOUBLE-CHARGER-7-2-18v-/390194580252?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5ad968cb1c

I already have a 110V transformer so that's no issue.

Do many people on here use these? I'm guessing its not the easiest thing to carry around, and I'm pretty worried about the battery life, especially in the cold. Can you get away with one battery as they are pretty expensive! (Around 50 quid each for the 18V)

Also I've never bouldered at night, Do you manage to go through the winter on dry nights, or does it end up damp and grim. Its a good chunk of money what ever you buy so I want to make sure it will get used!

Thanks for your help,

Andy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dewalt-DC020-Area-Fluorescent-Worklight-/180556356059?pt=UK_BOI_Lights_Lighting_ET&hash=item2a09ff59db#ht_600wt_913

i have one of these, is a bit lighter but no charger. if you already have dewalt charger will save you a bit of bulk. battery life fairly poor. you will need a few batteries for a long sesh and turnoff between goes?

Dolly

• forum hero
#55 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 05, 2010, 09:54:11 am
I've got one of those bigdrew - not sure if its the same as yours Ben ?
Very good light - lasts about 50 minutes per battery

Scraggadoo

• addict
#56 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 05, 2010, 12:30:39 pm
Got the northstar petrol lantern - it was brighter than I expected when I first got it.  Haven't put it to use bouldering yet, though that is the intention next week.  I don't see it presenting any issues though, and even took it camping in the past.  It was great (consider I need to see people to communicate/lipread because of my deafness).

The construction seems pretty rugged too.  I've had it in my car boot for some time and it's got thrown about going down the many country lanes, and still works fine, no leaks of petrol either.

You had any personal experience?  Maybe hook up with others and check it out (feel free to do so round here in the south lakes, where I am!)

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#57 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 05, 2010, 12:51:05 pm
We generally carry quite a few batteries. I have 6 of various sizes. We regularly use two lights at the same time, and we rarely get through them all, but I think it would be frustrating and hard to concentrate if we had to clock watch all the time. I haven't noticed a massive drop in battery life in the cold.

bigdrew

• regular
#58 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 05, 2010, 05:39:08 pm
I think I'm going to fork out for one of the Devaults. I'd rather have the smaller of the two but it costs 20 quid more and I'd have to buy a changer on top of that!

Andy, did to pick up the various batteries of Ebay? Is there much of a difference in brightness and run time. The 18V 2.6Ah ones seem to be the best available but they cost a chunk!

Others go for half there price...

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#59 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 05, 2010, 08:06:45 pm
Can anyone suggest a good head mounted torch for night bouldering? Are they sufficient on their own or is an extra light source required such as the ones mentioned above?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#60 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 06, 2010, 12:27:48 am
Andy, did to pick up the various batteries of Ebay?

Hell no. I don't have that much spare cash.

Andy, Is there much of a difference in brightness and run time. The 18V 2.6Ah ones seem to be the best available but they cost a chunk!

The light is noticably brighter with higher voltages, but the important thing to look out for is the Amp Hour (AmpH) rating, this varies in my batteries from 1.2 to 2.6 and will majorly affect their running time, and cost.

bigdrew

• regular
#61 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 06, 2010, 01:16:04 am
Just forked out 150 quid for a light and two of the 18v * 2.6Ah batteries from ebay. Can't wait to have a play.  Hopefully they will keep me going for a couple of hours at least.

Mind me asking where you got the batteries from. I've spen ages looking around and ebay prices generally seemed the best.

Thanks all.

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#62 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 06, 2010, 09:19:45 am
with dewalt as far as i know you can buy just the internals of the battery which saves you a few quid. li ion is the only way to go these days though. they last longer charge faster and love the cold.(just dont let them get to hot)

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#63 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 07, 2010, 12:58:30 am
Just forked out 150 quid for a light and two of the 18v * 2.6Ah batteries from ebay. Can't wait to have a play.  Hopefully they will keep me going for a couple of hours at least.

You should comfortably get a couple of hours out of those.

Mind me asking where you got the batteries from. I've spen ages looking around and ebay prices generally seemed the best.

My mate's brother works for DeWalt.

rootask

• regular
#64 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
February 22, 2011, 11:36:59 am
Sorry to drag this topic up again. I thought i'd better add my tuppence worth as I consulted this a lot when considering buying a lantern. I ended up buying the dewalt DC022 and a couple of batteries (2.6ah 18v) and i can honestly say its brilliant. its easy enough to stuff in a bouldering matt, it'll light to the top of my 3 story terrace house and the light only starts to fade 2 mins before its going to die. its basically meant i can get out on the grit mid week instead of being limited to the plastic.

And don't worry about the price tag because it cost so much i try and use it at every oppertunity!

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#65 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
February 22, 2011, 08:18:06 pm
I have been thinking about getting a DC022 for a while now so thanks for the knowledge rootask. How much did your batteries set you back and how long do they last?

rootask

• regular
#66 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
February 23, 2011, 10:54:10 am
They were £95 for two off ebay. you can probably get a better price if you know some tradesmen but my friends are all hairdressers  :-*  I reckon I get about two and a half hours out of them and thats if I leave the light on constantly. to be honest they've been holding their charge better as i've been using them more so its hard to say.

Get one they're great

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal