UKBouldering.com

Lanterns for your night sessions (Read 28527 times)

Scraggadoo

• addict
#25 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 17, 2009, 09:11:58 pm
Bit the bullet and got meself a Coleman's Dual Fuel Northstar jobbie.  Wasn't cheap but it is bright as fuck and I can recommend this.  Lights up the darkest corners of my garden at night without any visibility issues.

Runs off petrol and last ages, about a pound's worth will last you a good 7 hours on the maximum setting (14 on the not so bright setting).

Only downside is it needs pumping every now and again, which is more faff than one of those electric lights.  Something to consider...  It does however pump out a bit of heat so will be nice to warm up those hands at night if it's freezing.

Will update with experiences in use!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#26 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 17, 2009, 09:18:11 pm
How straightforward is it to get lit in the first place. I used to have a big paraffin pump up job (20 years ago) and it was a right farce to get get going.
The warmth was nice though (and the gentle hiss, but you might not hear that)
I made a reflector out of a tinned potato tin (bigger than a bean tin) that stopped me shining light into other peoples faces and probably sent more light where it was wanted. Fitted between glass and surrounding wire frame.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#27 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 19, 2009, 12:20:05 pm
It's pretty straightforward to get it lit.  There's a piezo-electric ignition that runs off a single AAA battery.  First time I ever tried it wouldn't light up however, and there was a rather worrying petrol mist accummulating in the lantern.  Thankfully common sense prevailed and I switched it off and left it for a bit.

After arsing around with it I just got a lighter, lit it and stuck the flame up holes in the base of the lower bit of the globe and it lighted instantly.  The holes are actually there for matches if the piezo electric bit fails / battery is dead or you just can't be arsed with it.

A rather large yellow flame comes up and actually spouts outside the top of the lantern through the top cover but this dies down within 20 seconds or so to a bright light.  It takes longer the first ever time you use it though.

I have lit it up on other nights after that with the piezo electric element and no trouble with it.  It doesn't take long to get going, only 20 seconds or so and it looks kind of cool when it's first starting up.  A good time to scare the shit out of others "Run for your life!!!"...  ::)

If you wanted to make your own reflector like you say it may prove difficult as the wire frame that comes with it fits quite closely to the lamp.  If you google coleman lamp reflector you should easily be able to construct one along similar lines using a tinne potato tin.  The lantern puts out a decent amount of light when off the ground (a reflector might help when on the ground).

I'll try to get pics of sessions with it if I can, although I am no photography expert...

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#28 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 15, 2009, 03:27:50 pm
has anyone used one of these http://tiny.cc/lissc Coleman lanterns? Are they any good?

chillax

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 15, 2009, 06:44:16 pm
Yeah, I've got a couple of those. Not bad when combined with a couple of head torches. And they're very warm, which can come in handy when its absolutely baltic. Wouldn't be the brightest compared to other stuff on this thread. You've got to be a bit careful with the mantles and the glass surrounds too as they're not the most robust. On the plus side they're quite small and light to carry, which is why I got them. Don't fancy hauling some massive piece of kit all the way up to the boulders in Glendo (yes I'm a lazy git).

They're a good compromise if you've got to do a bit of a walk in. If you're planning on night-sessioning at more easily accessible crags, maybe you might want to think bigger? If you've got the bucks to spare, those Northstar jobbies look the mutt's nuts..

dr crimp

• regular
#30 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 15, 2009, 08:06:25 pm
right!this is the bottem line.if its steep/roof then gas is gona help.anything else consider an electric light.we've found the hope vision 2 or 4 mounted on a camera trip[od to even be sufficient for boulder probs or head point e7,s.combined with the gas this is the ultimate combo.the swinging point is price £170-£300for the hope but guess it depends on ure plastic allerge.hope his helps.may the moon be with you. ;D ;D ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#31 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 17, 2009, 12:18:10 pm
Do they not work for E6 or E8 then or should I just give you this now?

;)

dr crimp

• regular
#32 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 17, 2009, 05:51:38 pm
 :wank:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#33 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 17, 2009, 06:02:19 pm
Yeah I'd refrained from using that smilie but perhaps it would have been more appropriate. Ta.

dr crimp

• regular
#34 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 17, 2009, 06:13:07 pm
 :boohoo: :off:

andy_e

• forum hero
#35 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 18, 2009, 12:10:24 pm
 :lol:

Dolly

• forum hero
#36 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 24, 2009, 04:58:01 pm
    thats a negatory good buddy.

one of these. they've stopped making em.

Thats the thing you guys had when I bumped into you last year in Font huh?  God I want one of them, you could light up El Cap with it.

These are back in stock now - if I understood correctly they weren't available for a while.
7 left on ebay from the original link - well 6 now cos I just bought one :)

If only it would stop raining I could have a go with it

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#37 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 24, 2009, 05:22:32 pm
just let me know dude...

richieb

• menacing presence
#38 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 26, 2009, 09:47:00 pm
I picked up one of the machine mart yellow monsters in Leeds last weekend.
Also not had a chance to try it yet cos it hasnt stopped raining here for a week. I did however take the opportunity to carry it on the train from Leeds to Inverness via Norwich!
Those dewalt lamps do look good though...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#39 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
November 26, 2009, 11:06:14 pm
mad journey mate!!

richieb

• menacing presence
#40 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 04, 2009, 06:48:59 pm
First session with the yellow monster this week. Pretty impressed, maybe not quite as bright as I was hoping but it spreads the light over a wide area and the battery seems to last well. Good value I would say at 35 notes.

arnezos

#41 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 05, 2009, 08:27:28 am
We've been using the smaller DC020 modell, which absolutely rule. The same amount of light in smaller package.

Here are some movies where they are used.

Three DC020 (in the climbing part):

Three led sticks VS one DC020:

One DC020 and multiple led sticks:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#42 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 05, 2009, 08:37:37 am
Three DC020 (in the climbing part):

That's a quick way of fucking up the rock! Good thing that's not in Britain.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#43 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 05, 2009, 09:52:25 am
indeed. twats.

arnezos

#44 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 05, 2009, 11:20:06 am
It might not be the most politically correct way of quickly drying november wet rock.

At least it was quite bright while doing it.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#45 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 05, 2009, 07:17:13 pm
No. We tend to wait until it's dried naturally. At most, we might use a towel, and a small amount of chalk. Or if you're Pete W, you might also shove some t-shirts in there too.

chillax

• forum abuser
#46 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 05, 2009, 08:08:33 pm
It might not be the most politically correct way of quickly drying november wet rock.

At least it was quite bright while doing it.

Jens, is that you?  :-\

arnezos

#47 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
December 06, 2009, 10:20:38 am
Nope.

If it was I would have bolted the problem afterwards and made a poll on 8a asking if it was lifestylish and then become pissed when people didn't agree with my ideas/actions.

And of course, we would have made a new visitor record which I would have pointed out in a news item.

:thumbsup:

KH

• addict
#48 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
January 22, 2010, 02:20:38 am
Do you know if you can use any Dewalt battery for the DC022?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#49 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
January 22, 2010, 12:41:07 pm
Do you know if you can use any Dewalt battery for the DC022?

I definitely use 12V, 14V and 18V with mine but I think the 24V have a different shaped connection.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal