UKBouldering.com

Lanterns for your night sessions (Read 28532 times)

Scraggadoo

• addict
Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 12:37:32 pm
Righto - now I'm stuck working a 9 to 5 job, I ain't going to let that stop me from getting out and getting some bouldering done.  Problem is, I need a lantern to light up my sessions in the evenings.

Gas, electric or wind-up?  What's the lowdown with these?  Experiences and recommendations would be very welcome.  Ideally it would be nice if it wasn't too big and fairly easy to transport around.  Would also ideally like a good output lantern but at the same time don't want it to be too expensive spending loads on gas / batteries either!

I do have a headtorch - a myo xp which is pretty good but a lantern is so much nicer I think...  Less weight and all that.   ;)

Cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 12:43:57 pm
Trawl through this thread.

Apparently head torches on the knees can be handy for illuminating foot holds (not tried myself though).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 12:45:05 pm
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8731.0.html

Gas is the way to go for maximum light/portability, but I still feel more comfortable with my Yellow Monster coz it doesn't involve any actual fire. Still £35 from Machine Mart.
I've been using the base/battery on its own as a power supply for camping trips
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:50:26 pm by lagerstarfish »

Scraggadoo

• addict
#3 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 01:44:16 pm
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8731.0.html

Gas is the way to go for maximum light/portability, but I still feel more comfortable with my Yellow Monster coz it doesn't involve any actual fire. Still £35 from Machine Mart.
I've been using the base/battery on its own as a power supply for camping trips

Ta. I did look in the equipment board for some inside info on them lanterns but it's obvious I didn't search hard enough, d'oh.

Hmmm I'm more inclined towards one of them dual fuel jobbies like the r-man's got...  Need decent burn time on them!  I'd still welcome any other comments / recommendations though, especially as it's been some time since there was a post on that thread.

Ta.

dave

#4 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 02:02:07 pm
the bomb shit is one of them dewalt worklights. not cheap but very good.

Scraggadoo

• addict

dave

#6 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 02:35:57 pm
thats a negatory good buddy.

one of these. they've stopped making em.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#7 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 02:53:44 pm
would the coleman northstar 2000 dual fuel be any good? What about a suitcase generator could put your tunes on a brew up as well! :bounce:

BenF

• forum hero
#8 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 02:58:13 pm

Thats the thing you guys had when I bumped into you last year in Font huh?  God I want one of them, you could light up El Cap with it.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#9 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 03:25:40 pm
 :jaw:  That good? Hmmm   :-\

Will have to do some serious thinking here.  For it to work does it only need one battery or two?  Them batteries ain't cheap either.

dave

#10 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 13, 2009, 03:34:10 pm

Thats the thing you guys had when I bumped into you last year in Font huh?  God I want one of them, you could light up El Cap with it.

yeah thats the one. its pretty powerful, you can light say west wide story all the way to the topout with no worries. batteries are expensive i think. they'll run on one or two batteries - i think there was some debate about whether it runs one down before going on to the other or runs em in parrallel - banks will know.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#11 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 14, 2009, 09:55:02 am
Any personal experiences of these two?  I'm leaning towards these two purely because petrol is easy to get in the UK and you can probably buy a more petrol (9 or 10 litres) rather than pay 10 quid or so for two large propane canisters, which gives the same burn time for about 4 litres of petrol.

Dual fuel coleman (two mantle)
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/stoves-and-lanterns/gas-camping-lanterns/coleman-powerhouse-extra-bright-316115.html

Dual fuel Northstar coleman (two mantle)
http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/coleman_dual_fuel_northstar_lantern__521?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=ProductSearch

Don't know of any other reputable brands of lanterns so would appreciate any other personal experiences!

Cheers

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#12 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 14, 2009, 01:45:05 pm

yeah thats the one. its pretty powerful, you can light say west wide story all the way to the topout with no worries. batteries are expensive i think. they'll run on one or two batteries - i think there was some debate about whether it runs one down before going on to the other or runs em in parrallel - banks will know.

We haven't got round to figuring out exactly how the batteries drain yet, but I'm pretty sure they run parallel, if two are in but will work singly too. We keep meaning do to some SCIENtific timings, but always get distracted by climbing. The batteries are defo expensive.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 14, 2009, 05:34:34 pm
Call me a smart alec (or wrong) but this is simply SCIENCE of the GCSE level.  Unless the light gets brighter when you insert battery number 2 then they've got to be working in parallel.  So, same voltage and current but will last (roughly) twice as long.

dave

#14 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 14, 2009, 10:03:52 pm
no, it could be draining one battery first, then switching to the other. What is your GCSE in? ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#15 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 14, 2009, 10:17:37 pm
they don't teach you about clever electronic switches and shit at GCHQ level SCIENCE

Steve R

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 14, 2009, 11:06:44 pm
yes, I suppose that's not totally unfeasible. As you were  8)

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 09:07:30 am
i how much will you pay me not to tell what your degree is in.oh the embarrassment. :-[

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#18 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 10:47:45 am
Stop having a go, start Googling:

Quote from:  Some bloke on Amazon
UPDATE: 5-27-07 It's arrived and had some use so here's what you want to know that they don't print in the specs:

Cord Length - healthy 7 feet or about 8 feet depending on where you consider it starts (middle of underside)- If you add in the length to the distant outlet you might call it 9 feet as an extension/power strip

Runtime!

1 standard 18V dewalt pack (new) 1 Hour
2 standard 18V dewalt packs (new) 2 Hours, 10 minutes
2 XRP 18V battery packs 2 Hours, 58 minutes
Oh so close to 3 hours!

In all 3 cases, batteries had just finished charging (solid light) and
cord was unplugged. It is more efficient with 2 batteries than just one as the current on each battery is lower and thus it lasts longer. It drains them at the same time and charges them at the same time.

The lamp is just as bright on AC or DC, but starts a little faster on AC - once warmed up it runs the same on AC or DC. It does automatically switch from AC to DC source if you have at least one battery in it - which is really nice when someone on the jobsite unplugs your power cord or turns off the generator while you are using the light. You'll hear it click and the light will flicker to let you know it switched and AC is gone now. That feature alone is worth the difference in a dual charger and the light+dual charger+extension cord/GFCI

Worst case power draw (charging 2 XRP batts + running light) is about 1.5 amps @ 110 volts - the chargers draw much more than the light does. The nameplate specs 13.5 amps - my guess is that is the 1.5 amps for the chargers+light and 12 amps for anything you plug into the 3 outlets (2 on one side, one on the other) to get 13.5. The cord is heavy enough to handle anything on a 15A outlet.

Finally - the charger hold down clamps are not miracle workers - they keep the batteries in the charger most of the time but don't go swinging it into the truck bed or the clamps will release the batteries at the peak of your swing causing the two batteries to become airborne. On the other hand, you can pull a battery out with just one hand. Some might want more spring tension if you carry it around alot - thats personal preference.

Now the remainder of the review you can skip - it's shipping today - it's in stock - rumors of October, June, etc ship dates are not true, price has stabilized - I'd imagine the backlog is fullfilled - go buy it & enjoy it now that it is alive and shipping.

(review continues from amazon's 3rd "do you still want this" email quoting October 2007 ship date)

Now this is the perfect piece if you are a dewalt 18 volt user - charges 2 batteries at the same time, gives you 3 outlets w/ that all important gfci feature, probably has an extension cord but not sure how long - nice cord wrap, and a light that runs on AC or DC batteries. What more could you ask for? Shipping?

I ordered mine March 2 2007 and have responded "YES" keep it comming every time amazon asks if I still want it. I got a date now of Oct 8 2007(aparently firm) - I checked with other suppliers who say "in stock" only to find out it's "temporarily OUT OF STOCK" so amazon is not alone in this problem. That's when I wrote to dewalt on their website and asked them what is going on with the DC022 - great idea - poor dealer support.

If you have one of these, please tell us what date and YEAR you got it. I'd like to meet someone who owns one of these babies. So far it hasn't been seen in a tool store around my house. I saw it at a tradeshow early on.

*IF* dewalt responds to me, I'll follow up with an update here.

**UPDATE**

Dewalt did call me back and explained they have had a very high demand for the DC022. This corresponded well with stores showing it "in stock" saying it was really backordered when I tried to make an order - their inventory system was not as up to date as Amazon's.

Mine was shipped on 5/22/07 (ordered about 2 months ago) - will update when it arrives, but it's looking like the date of "october" we were all given is not comming true as they are ready to ship NOW (today) and not on backorder status any more.

5-24-07

Amazon shipped it 2-day air coast to coast and it arrived today, just in time for some weekend attic work. As for the chargers, they operate independently so when blinking don't expect both LEDs to blink at the same time, one will no doubt be faster. A friend asked about cord length - it's about 7 feet, heavy guage rated for 13.5 amps with a clip to make it stay on the wrap and a strain relief on the back of the DC022 body.

The lamp itself doesn't seem to care if it's running on AC or DC - there's a green LED in the photo I added under user submitted photos that tells you AC is hot if no batteries are charging. Other than that the one switch on the lamp head is all that you get. The lamp starts in two stages.

Everything this does is relay activated. When you plug it in you can hear a relay click setting it up to charge and run on ac. Starting the lamp clicks the start relay for about a second followed by another click as the run relay clicks in. It doesn't matter if you are AC or DC operating, the lamp still has its start/run relay set and operates the same way, comming to full output in 1 second (50% immediately while starting).

One nitpick - if the gfci is blown there is no red flag or lamp to say reset it - the only clue you have is that its plugged in and the green led is dark saying no AC present - hit the reset and things click again.
I bought the 2-pack of XRP batteries with this and plan to use it to wake up the batteries on their first 3 charges/discharges so after that I'll know what to expect in runtime. Dewalt publishes an hour, but does not qualify if that is 1 pack or 2 (likely 1 @ 18v). The runtime I get with 2 new XRP batts should be the best possible, so that's next after charging. Dewalt also doesn't tell you if it drains both batteries together or one at a time - I should be able to tell more later using a battery simulator on it.

One last note - the price dropped 4 bucks after the backlog was cleared so now's the time to buy in and join the first 1700+ owners. It looks like Dewalt delivered to Amazon early on this after some emails. No shipping and no tax means I'm not buying from my local tool dealer for dewalt with Amazon's in stock selection and buying power.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 11:51:21 am
i how much will you pay me not to tell what your degree is in.oh the embarrassment. :-[

Eye'm takin it you'res aint in english.  ;)

nik at work

• forum hero
#20 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 12:06:59 pm
Very subtle Jas, I almost missed it...

webbo

• forum hero
#21 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 12:44:41 pm

Eye'm takin it you'res aint in english.  ;)
being born and dragged up in west yorkshire.the queens english ain't my first language.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 01:59:05 pm
Sorry. It was a cheap shot but I couldn't resist.  :-[

webbo

• forum hero
#23 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 02:07:11 pm
i wouldn't worry the cheaper the better.

nik at work

• forum hero
#24 Re: Lanterns for your night sessions
October 15, 2009, 02:39:27 pm
There speaks a true Yorkshire upbringing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal