UKBouldering.com

Boxxer lowers needed (Read 2461 times)

james

• obsessive maniac
Boxxer lowers needed
October 13, 2009, 10:37:10 am
Hello gentlemen,

I somehow managed to snap the lowers on my Boxxer Rides a few days ago and am now looking for lowers from any 05-08 boxxer to replace them.  I can buy them new (cheapest I can find is £230 from TF) but spending more on parts than the whole fork is worth doesn't make sense. 

Im hoping that somewhere in the vast reaches of the tinterweb (and I know your cyber fingers delve very deeply) someone must have some second hand lowers for sale that will make the world bright again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

James

fatkid2000

• junky
#1 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 13, 2009, 11:23:06 am
I'm sure FD must have some cluttering up his garage.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 13, 2009, 05:19:00 pm
I didnt know you were a cyclist of the DH genre James. Nice one.

Boxxers are forever breaking, and i dont mean me.

I would seriously consider getting a set of 2nd hand old (2006) 2nd hand 888s.

They are heavier, they dont break, they go eons without a service, they feel noticably stiffer and are way more plush.

The newer ones are not made by Maz in Italy, and suffer from poor manufactering.

If you still hanker after the Boxxers try southerndownhill.com forum, a rather spelndid place to spend money!

What's yr ride?

james

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 13, 2009, 06:08:52 pm
Guilty as charged.  Sort of a born again biker (since moving to the alps), except rather than spending a shit load of cash to go fast on two wheels as a result of a middle aged crisis, Im causing the crisis as a result of the spending, and still dont even have an engine!

Currently riding a session 7, of which I think only the frame and seatpost are standard.  Oh and when I say riding, I actually mean looking at the pretty pieces on the floor as I bodge yet another repair and wonder what the point is...

But the days when things dont fall apart are pretty damn special  ;D

I may take your advice with the 888's, but was also considering getting out of the triple scene all together - any suggestions for a good stiff single crown with around 180mm?

Oh and I just tried to join SD but have to wait for approval before I can post.  Could you copy and paste my original request onto there and ill take over as soon as I get the all clear?  Time is sort of precious and if I dont find any alternate options soon, its off to the Austrian Rockshox man hoping not to get raped too hard!

Thanks again

northerngreg

• player
  • slayer
#4 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 13, 2009, 08:46:43 pm
I may take your advice with the 888's, but was also considering getting out of the triple scene all together - any suggestions for a good stiff single crown with around 180mm

Try some Rockshox Totems - 180mm single crown. 1 1/8", 1.5" or tapered steerer. Obviously the 1.5" would be stiffest but it just depends on what type of headtube your frame has. Go for coils rather than air sprung.

Greg.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#5 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 13, 2009, 10:15:01 pm
didnt know you'd moved to the alps.

If the trek accepts totems... and they are 2nd hand and serviced ( I have such on my *little* DH bike) then go for it. They are NOT as good as triples, the tendonitis in my elbows from Cwmcarn last sunday pays testament to that.

If I lived in the alps though... get some 888s James. they work, they dont go wrong and they are soooo plush!

- near end of MTB season in the alps.. may be some bargains going locally

dont forget.. old Italian 888s

Any advice needed post up on here, Bubba, fbsf & I all own 888s.. here to help!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 14, 2009, 05:58:48 am

Agreed - 888s are seriously good forks.

james

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 14, 2009, 08:14:30 am
How do 66's compare.  Which are the model to go (rc2, rv etc etc...) for and does the same hold true about Italian manufacturing years?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#8 Re: Boxxer lowers needed
October 15, 2009, 05:02:35 pm
I'm not sure.

SDH forum will assist. IIRC there were good years and bad years...

they are very long... esp the earlier versions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal