UKBouldering.com

CV fitness, training (whilst I'm recovering from DVT)? (Read 25544 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Interesting idea FD, I will bear that in mind with the breathing focus aspect.

I should probably get back to doing more swimming as that did seem to work, unfortunately the nearest pool is miles away and the car is currently more crippled than I am!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I'm back. Back and my fitness is still fucked.

Sorry to hear that.

Slackers I managed to see some information on one of my files and I don't have Factor V Leiden, okay.

Thats good, one possible aetiology excluded (the blocked vena cava is a symptom, rather than the cause of the DVT).

Sounds shit though, hope you get back on track soon  :hug:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Quote from: Falling Down on Yesterday at 06:09:56 pm

It's quite aerobic

:-\

Why the chinny reckon? Have you done any? Its not old ladies stretching.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I was wondering that too.. thought I might have got my Aerobic and CV mixed up and was getting a chin stroke for mixing my sport science terms.

Ashtanga is pretty nails when done properly. I've only had a couple of amateurish tries but it was a proper workout.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
If you're doing it properly you should have a 'constant sweat', some go so far as to say 'profuse sweat'.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Ashtanga is pretty nails when done properly. I've only had a couple of amateurish tries but it was a proper workout.

I expect it is still anaerobic like sprinting is. Its not a big deal and I may be wrong.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
You could well be right  :)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I'm no expert, but we basically do a constant hour full on with 15 minutes either end to warm up and down. Exertion wise its pretty steady, like cycling uphill for an hour. Its not 'do a bit then recover for a bit' like bouldering.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I wasnt knocking yoga as exercise - I've started classes myself - just the energy system it was likely to draw on. I'm not sure where the crossover point would lie. It might be dual-fuel.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Definitely veering toward the aerobic I would say, based on my weekly session.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I don't know the precise...errr...stage at which I'm struggling. I don't really know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic. All I've ever known is that some things you have to be strong and pull hard for and other things you need to be fit or you'll get all tired and puffed out </not very clever really>

If it's of any use, in the current situation:

Long gentle stuff like flat walking is fine, I can do plenty of that and not get tired.

Medium stuff like uphill walking and jogging is tiring in my legs but also in my lungs and sometimes heart. I get out of breath and need to rest every few minutes.

Shorter more intense stuff like, errr, like short climbing routes, carrying heavy stuff, or really steep walking/scrambling tends to get a bit out of breath but more of a pounding heart and dizzy / light-headed feeling.

Pure strength stuff is okay.

...I'm thinking about going to a gym and training my leg strength more as, well, I dunno, it might help with the shorter intense stuff.

webbo

• forum hero
it would seem that walking on the flat is an aerobic activity for you where as when you go up hill you are going in to anaerobic activity.in order to increase your aerobic capacity you need to to do exercise at your aerobic/anaerobic threshhold.you would need a heart rate monitor for this.
i'm not sure what sort of workout you would do walking wise but this is what i would do cycling wise. i would be looking to workout at 75/80% of my max h/r and if i can work at this level for 20 mins.i would do 6 x 5mins at the required h/r with a min easy between each interval.as you progress you would increase the number of interval and or the intensity.
you would also need to do a max heart rate test first if thats safe to do in your case.

SA Chris

• forum hero
^ What webbo said.

Except with capital letters.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
If I understand correctly, the eventual aim is to be able to walk up to Shibboleth with rack, rope and jam butties without getting wiped-out in the process (and if that's not the aim then it should be!).

Specificity is not quite as important in anaerobic and aerobic exercise as it is in strength and power training but you've no good reason for not making your exercise as specific as possible.  You can fanny around with yoga or swimming but it seems to me you need to do what feels hardest: working the large leg muscles for 3-5 minutes of activity at ~80% maximum effort.  Fast-walk/run up - slow-walk down a sand-dune or short steep hill or stairs would be ideal.  Add a pack, increase number of sets, and reduce recovery time as you get fitter.  Step-ups if it's pee'ing down outside: easy to quantify and pretty specific.  Vary the step-height, step cadence (I'm sure you can choose some appropriately speedy music to pace yourself to) as you get better.   Cycling hills would be good too, if less specific.

What webbo said ^^ about monitoring your HR until you get a feel for what 80% of maximum feels like.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:25:33 pm by duncan »

webbo

• forum hero
i suggested the use of a stepper in a structured programme on the first page of this thread.but then when did fiend listen to anyone.

SA Chris

• forum hero

What webbo said ^^ about monitoring your HR until you get a feel for what 80% of maximum feels like.

I have an unused Suunto heart monitor going cheap? (going cheap, not going beep)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
i suggested the use of a stepper in a structured programme on the first page of this thread.but then when did fiend listen to anyone.

You did and perhaps if several people say the same thing he might start to listen!

I take your point about steppers and static bikes being easy to quantify but I think that lifting your body (climbing stairs, walking up hill) is different to and probably better than pushing down on a pedal or plate if what you want to do is climb up hills.  Running intervals up a hill is classic old-school training: Mr Coe used Roslin Road (S10), to good effect.

webbo

• forum hero
the idea of doing in the gym rather than outside is they could get him a chair or a defib if it all got a bit much for him.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
If I understand correctly, the eventual aim is to be able to walk up to Shibboleth with rack, rope and jam butties without getting wiped-out in the process (and if that's not the aim then it should be!).
Substitute Freakout / Osrisis / White Hope / Uhuru / Clinging On for Shibboleth and you're spot on.

Specificity is not quite as important in anaerobic and aerobic exercise as it is in strength and power training but you've no good reason for not making your exercise as specific as possible.  You can fanny around with yoga or swimming but it seems to me you need to do what feels hardest: working the large leg muscles for 3-5 minutes of activity at ~80% maximum effort.

Well that's what I do anyway, roughly. Running I do 2mins running / 1min walking and for me at the moment 17 mins total of that is exhausting enough (and painful on my legs). Same with walk-ins, anything steep is 2-3 minutes plodding and 2-3 minutes collapsed on the rucsac.

Bear in mind I have a big problem with my legs here :S.

Also the fact I get tired climbing steep stuff indoors, not exactly the most leg intensive thing, indicates I could probably do with training overall fitness not just leg fitness. And with something less leg intensive, I wouldn't be so hampered by leg pain / tiredness.

Just because I don't obey every suggestion doesn't mean I'm not listening. As it happens I've been too busy to get into a proper exercise routine recently, let alone get to a gym with a stepper. I think a friend of mine offered to get me a heart monitor thing.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
If you're still looking for a suitable workout, try this.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Am I right in thinking that he is out of the UK and so won't see this until he starts looking through old threads?

Anyone else want to contribute?

Look! It's the Nigella/M&S of Maccy D's
(I'm still looking for the S&M of MD's)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal