UKBouldering.com

gear? how much? (Read 3239 times)

buttmunch

gear? how much?
September 22, 2009, 11:16:38 pm
Ive become rather seemingly friendly with a climbing instructor at our local indoor wall and he has said he would do me a deal on some gear (first set of gear) set will include: 1 10mm rope 35m (i think) 2 harness's, a belay, a sling, some screw gate carbeners and (well i think that's about it) anyway all for £150- £180.....

1, does this seem a good deal
2, this is a starting base to be used on our nearest outdoor spot (bowles & Harrison's in tonbridge wells)
3, well there is no third fact it just seemed wrong with just 2! lol

On The serious side does this sound about rite price wise, do i need anything else for top roping, and if anyone has climbed sandstone at these venues does the gear seem about rite?

thanks in advance k

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: gear? how much?
September 23, 2009, 08:12:21 am
To set up topropes on the Sandstone you will probably need more than one sling, a few of varying length (and the knowledge to use them properly so as not to damage the rock any further) would probably be better.

Is the rope static or dynamic? If might be static, which is well and good if you are only using it for toproping, but far from ideal if you intend using it for leading at the wall or anywhere else in the future. Likewise 35m of rope is fine for sandstone, but wouldn't be ideal if you ever intended going somewhere else like Dorset or the Peak.

Price wise I have no idea, depends on how good the harness is (try it out before buying, and buy cheap = buy twice). You could easily go to one of the online retailers like Rock n Run, Needlesports or Outside to check prices.

Have fun, quite a few people here cut their teeth on the Sandstone before moving on to bigger (and better :) ) things.

buttmunch

#2 Re: gear? how much?
September 24, 2009, 09:17:08 pm
thanks that alot of help actually! as for the setting up were also getting a lesson from the same dude so thats cool! thanks again! oh actualy while im here then u say static no good to lead can i use dynamic for both top and lead? if so i rather pay the extra get the longer rope and dynamic so we can use it for other stuf as well! wot ya think?

thanks k

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: gear? how much?
September 25, 2009, 09:00:03 am
Yes you can lead and toprope on dynamic rope, but you will get a bit of bounce from the stretch in it, so you have to ensure that topropes are set up absolutely right to prevent the rope wearing the rock.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: gear? how much?
September 25, 2009, 12:11:00 pm
I would only get a dynamic rope. There's not really any point in getting 35m of static. You'll probably be needing some though to rig your top roping anchor to keep it from stretching and unstretching (and therefore wearing) over the edge of the crag. You'll also need some more slings of varying length and most importantly you'll need the skillz to set it up right and not get injured.

Have fun, stay safe.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: gear? how much?
September 25, 2009, 01:48:44 pm
I would only get a dynamic rope. There's not really any point in getting 35m of static. You'll probably be needing some though to rig your top roping anchor to keep it from stretching and unstretching (and therefore wearing) over the edge of the crag. You'll also need some more slings of varying length and most importantly you'll need the skillz to set it up right and not get injured.

Have fun, stay safe.

Depends if you're planning to mainly do things on toproping the sandstone or not... Toproping loads on a dynamic rope does not do it any good, neither does the very fine particles of sand that will inevitably get into the rope if you use it down there.

I'd keep an eye out for good deals... a couple of years ago I got a 60m 10.5mm dynamic rope for £60 - its not treated in any way, but is a reputable brand and perfect for the odd time I go bolt clipping somewhere sunny. If I were out every week toproping sandstone I'd get a 30m static rope that you could hammer withough worrying about it.... Spend an hour online and price it up. It sounds like the guy you were talking to can get you a fairly good deal - but you might be able to get better - or more importantly gear you prefer for the same/better...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal