UKBouldering.com

Pick it Up, Post it Up! (Read 54190 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#125 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
March 08, 2021, 05:22:11 am
Sorry, I'm not going to reply directly to some of the great posts above, but it's always really good to be made aware of the state of crags out there, and other places - and the efforts made to clear them up.  :thumbsup:

This post is about two years (really?!) overdue.

First of all, we've lost a Neil. If it's you, please 'fess up to an amazing effort, clearing the river bank at the end of Leyburn Road in Sheffield.

There are now a few separate groups of litter pickers in Sheffield, and certainly where we are in Nether Edge in Sheffield, there's an increase in efforts to protect the urban landscape.

A couple of years ago, I cleared the slope to the river Sheaf with Justin Petifer. We were planning to do this again, in conjunction with Sheffield litter pickers, but mystery Neil stepped in for a solo effort. I'll try to get more recent photos.

Here's Justin in 2019:

More rubbish collected by Sheffield Litter Pickers:

I know there are other climbers, active with the litter groups locally, and there are other groups campaigning successfully, to help preserve the river environment too.
 :2thumbsup:

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#126 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
March 09, 2021, 01:54:15 pm
As a counterpoint to my last post on this thread, we saw a family on Sunday, doing a fantastic  job litter picking on the path to mother cap and the surprise view car park. They were there ages and gathered loads. The dad proudly told us that his daughter had ticked Conan too. If anyone knows them, give them a pat on the back.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#127 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
March 09, 2021, 07:06:18 pm
Yes Andy, that's a fantastic effort.
Great to hear  :clap2:  :2thumbsup:

I'd forgotten to mention Sam Thorn , who was also with us, at the river Sheaf a couple of years ago.

Sorry Sam!

slab_happy

• obsessive maniac
#128 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 25, 2021, 06:18:49 pm
Litter-picking beta:

I got a medium-sized bulldog clip and tied it to the strap of my rucksack so it hangs at my left hip.

You can clip a litter-bag in there and it holds the bag shut and leaves you with both hands free while you're walking, and it's easy to unclip the bag, stuff something in, and re-clip it again.

I tend to litter-pick my way back from crags and this makes it more convenient.

Updated beta!

I was getting through so many plastic bags (and starting to feel guilty about that, even with recycled ones) that I upgraded to an ultra-light cordura foldable bucket.

Waterproof so I can pick up drippy cans and so forth without having them leak all over my stuff, doesn't get ripped by pointy things or tear because of heavy things.

Further update: cordura bucket and broken kitchen tongs hung off a carabiner on my climbing rucksack, so I can pick up the discarded masks now littering the countryside.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#129 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 25, 2021, 06:46:41 pm
Remembering to go out with a bag makes a huge difference, and something I forget to do too often!

:2thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal