UKBouldering.com

Pick it Up, Post it Up! (Read 89175 times)

mark20

• junky
#100 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
May 25, 2020, 06:55:04 pm
There seems to be a lot of litter in the Peak at the moment, so it’s worth taking a bag or two out. Mainly disposable BBQs and beer cans.

There’s also quite a lot of BBQ gear, gas bottles, windbreaks scattered about the carparks with campervanners. Had my eye on a nice thick bit of foam that would make a good sit start pad, but the owner had moved it back into their vehicle by the time I got back from my walk.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#101 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 10:20:06 am
Yesterday, on path from Burbage N to B South picked up packets from biscuits, massive chocolate bar wrapper, crisps and pop bottle. Pristine environment and people just throw rubbish onto the ground. Unbelievable.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#102 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 10:41:33 am
I just don't get how people think it's OK. It's bad enough in city centres, but doing it in the coutryside is just sheer cuntishness.

Carl

• regular
#103 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 10:51:21 am
Collected 4 bottles, 3 cans and some crisp packets scattered around Curbar yesterday. Looked like people had been lobbing the bottles off the top of the edge judging by the smashed glass around the bottles too...

galpinos

• forum hero
#104 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 11:07:28 am
I just don't get how people think it's OK. It's bad enough in city centres, but doing it in the coutryside is just sheer cuntishness.

If they do it in the city, they'll do it in the countryside. We live in a disposable society where someone else is employed to clean up your mess. Changing the environment does not change the attitude.

gme

• forum hero
#105 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 11:28:30 am
I think there’s a lot of people, especially younger people, coming out to the country at the minute as they can’t hang out in there normal spots in the cities. Whilst I don’t condone there littering I can understand that they have little comprehension that they are doing anything wrong. They live in areas that are generally full of litter, where littering is the norm and also where it’s eventually cleared up by the council.
Not sure the countryside code is taught much in the cities.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#106 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 11:31:38 am
Sadly true gme, not considered that. No pubs, no footy to watch, no Maccy D to hang out in, no chain restaurants and coffee shops, so they spew out to countryside and beaches where they are actually allowed to go.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#107 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 11:34:53 am
There were families and adults out at Burbage yesterday, so their mentality isn't just youthful lack of awareness.

As you say, I think there is just a general disconnect, an 'I'm just passing through' mentality. No interest in what it might look like afterwards.

+ we need more societal engagement. After all, everyone has an absolutely equal right to access the place. Climbers don't have exclusive ownership.

gme

• forum hero
#108 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 03, 2020, 01:12:41 pm
Adults who live in the same circumstances will be just as likely to behave the same hence why not just youths. More to do with the surroundings and culture you live in than age.

I hate to see them all labeled as scum, idiots chavs etc as i dont think thats really the case. Its societies fault to an extent. If you live in a shit tip you dont notice it nor your own effect on it, however if you live in a beauty spot you get wound up by one fag butt.

I honestly dont think the people littering are going out to nice places because they are nice places, they are going out to be able to do what they cant do in the cities.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#109 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
August 25, 2020, 11:34:03 am
Litter-picking beta:

I got a medium-sized bulldog clip and tied it to the strap of my rucksack so it hangs at my left hip.

You can clip a litter-bag in there and it holds the bag shut and leaves you with both hands free while you're walking, and it's easy to unclip the bag, stuff something in, and re-clip it again.

I tend to litter-pick my way back from crags and this makes it more convenient.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#110 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
August 26, 2020, 02:46:38 pm
I always do the https://www.take3.org/ and pick up as much litter as i can carry along with my longboard (plus negotiating the steps they have barriered off at Aberdeen beach!). Get some strange looks when you do it though! especially when one of the things you pick up is an industrial glove.

JamieG

• forum hero
#111 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
November 23, 2020, 11:14:30 am
Picked up a quite a number of pieces of discarded finger tape at Wimberry yesterday walking up to the fish boulder. Really disappointing. Climbers should really know better. It’s bright white and doesn’t break down quickly (at all?).

Big tick marks too, that I brushed off. Ironically they hadn’t even ticked the best bit of the fish arête undercut.  :slap:

slab_happy

• forum hero
#112 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 16, 2021, 01:19:13 pm
Litter-picking beta:

I got a medium-sized bulldog clip and tied it to the strap of my rucksack so it hangs at my left hip.

You can clip a litter-bag in there and it holds the bag shut and leaves you with both hands free while you're walking, and it's easy to unclip the bag, stuff something in, and re-clip it again.

I tend to litter-pick my way back from crags and this makes it more convenient.

Updated beta!

I was getting through so many plastic bags (and starting to feel guilty about that, even with recycled ones) that I upgraded to an ultra-light cordura foldable bucket.

Waterproof so I can pick up drippy cans and so forth without having them leak all over my stuff, doesn't get ripped by pointy things or tear because of heavy things.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#113 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 18, 2021, 09:22:53 am
Piss boiled a week or so ago. Walked past some guys sea fishing on way to bouldering spot, had a chat with the about much biting etc. On way back, ledge was covered in bits of line, there was a plastic bin bag left (which I assume they had frozen mackerel in for bait, as there were bits lying everywhere) a couple of rancid old towels and some sandwich wrappers.  I managed to collect up the lot and carry it plus 2 pads over wet slippery rocks. If fishermen can't care about the sea then I really do fucking despair.

andy_e

• forum hero
#114 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 18, 2021, 10:12:44 pm
Was that Yukon?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#115 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 19, 2021, 12:02:14 am
No, Boltsheugh. It's a shitty mark too, very snaggy. Probably why so many bits of line were lying about. Easy access for lazy fuckers though.

Seen them fishing at North Clash a few times, never seen any mess though. Have you spotted resident Kestrel?

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#116 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 19, 2021, 09:17:31 am
If fishermen can't care about the sea then I really do fucking despair.
This phrase jumped out at me Chris. You do know that the majority of rubbish in the oceans originates from fishing?
A bit like some farmers - call themselves the custodians of the land but their land is actually trashed and covered in rusting old machines.
Good work tidying their mess.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#117 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 19, 2021, 09:29:35 am
Yeah I know Industrial fishing is a bastard for making a mess, I've lost count of how many bits of nylon net I've picked up, as well as the plastic crates they stack fish in.

Individual fishermen are different to the industry as a whole though. Like comparing an allotment grower to a farmer.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#118 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 19, 2021, 12:19:30 pm
You're right of course Chris. After years working as an upland ecologist I'm just a cynic - the oft-claimed notion that those involved in the traditional land or water based activities like fishing, shooting, farming actually care about the resource they rely on is sadly often nonsense.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#119 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 19, 2021, 02:10:23 pm
I think you are right. Is silage wrapping actually getting recycled now?

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#120 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 19, 2021, 03:10:43 pm
I think you are right. Is silage wrapping actually getting recycled now?
It is definitely recyclable but I believe there is a cost to the producer to get rid of it due to the level of contamination of organic matter on the plastic. From my experience the value of waste plastic has decreased over the last few years so it has probably become more expensive to dispose of.

No profession is immune from shitty behavior; I have seen plenty of waste left behind from ecological surveys.

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#121 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
January 19, 2021, 05:22:06 pm
No profession is immune from shitty behavior; I have seen plenty of waste left behind from ecological surveys.

That's sad to hear. Most I've worked with have been fairly sensitive to waste and litter. Even offshore (where bad habits rub off quickly).

What kind of ecological surveying was that?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#122 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
February 20, 2021, 11:43:35 pm
I was walking down the high street today and some 'orrible sod had posted some far right and antisemitic stickers on a bin.
I reported it to the police and the council's graffiti removal team using a pair of handy online forms. It took about 10 minutes.
I had a call this evening from the bobby who was attending. I'd expected the police response to be limited to recording it as a hate incident, but the officer wanted to know how recently they had appeared - the intention was to take fingerprints and check CCTV to try and identify a culprit.
I just wanted to share this in case anybody else comes across similar stuff. It is worth reporting and action is taken.

ali k

• junky
#123 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
February 21, 2021, 05:17:11 pm
Nice one Will. Good to know stuff like that is taken seriously.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#124 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
March 05, 2021, 05:29:08 pm
The bad landing boulder, at curbar, was in a sorry state this afternoon. There was the usual litter, finger tape, soggy socks and tick marks, but also a whole carrier bag of discarded food and wrappings stuffed between boulders, a one metre by 20cm splurge of bright white spilled liquid chalk (I thought it was paint at first) and the worst attempt at a patio I have ever seen, seemly made by partially dismantling the wall of the bivi spot.
I picked up the litter, brushed the tick marks and did my best with the liquid chalk using my toothbrush (it’s still a big smear but should hopefully wash off with the next rain now).
I couldn’t rebuild the bivi wall, but I thought it might make a nice warm up for someone when they’re next there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal