UKBouldering.com

Pick it Up, Post it Up! (Read 90144 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#75 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
September 26, 2016, 06:49:17 pm
We found a balloon from the University of York on Scafell this summer. Wish we'd sent it to them in the post now to allow them to dispose of it properly.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#76 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 04, 2016, 10:46:14 am
Was at Woodhouse Scar on Sunday and even for there it's in a right state - loads of rubbish, and even a couple of roadworks barriers that have been bunged over the edge down to the crag.

There was also broken glass on the tops of a fair few boulders round the warmup slabs at the top end.

I first went to Woodhouse as part of a crag cleanup a few years back - what would be the ins and outs of organising another such thing? Approach the BMC?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#77 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 04, 2016, 07:58:26 pm
ROKT did the last one... I helped as well... the tramp's cave was my favourite bit... unique bouquet.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#78 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 04, 2016, 10:48:37 pm
Nice to see this thread going strong. Saw a post on the Facebook today of some fine people who cleaned up jess' roof at the cliff. I've started stashing unwanted shopping bags in coat pockets and rucksacks instead of the kitchen this year so I've always got one handy.three bags and a child's inflatable from the river bank last week. We also did a beach at home in Devon this summer with the kids. When we went home the environment agency were there to do the same as us. They were amazed how little rubbish there was and were chalking it up as a success story; then we handed them two bin bags and emptied our pockets of bits of plastic lighters and other misc pieces. All good fun. More pieces of plastic in the sea than fish forecasted in the next 20 years they reckon. Fewer jonnies and towels floating about though these days so props to the EA.

Duma

• forum hero
#79 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 05, 2016, 09:27:18 am
I've started stashing unwanted shopping bags in coat pockets and rucksacks instead of the kitchen this year so I've always got one handy.

Good tip

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#80 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 23, 2016, 09:11:11 pm
Collected a bin liner full of stuff strewn around the rivelin car park yesterday including a blue bin bag tied to the gate. Don't know if this is actually collected or not but seemed like a good idea to take it as it was overflowing and would probably get ripped open by foxes etc anyway. Got a load of bin juice on the parcel shelf of my car, so much for positive karma!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#81 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 23, 2016, 10:22:29 pm
Good on you

SamT

• forum hero
#82 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 23, 2016, 10:24:59 pm
Good work.  I now feel really really guilt for staring at the little black poo bag to rear of my car and thinking, nah, I cant face the potential consequences in the footwell... :shit:  should have picked it up  :wall:

haydn jones

• forum hero
#83 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 27, 2016, 06:18:12 pm
Finally remembered to take a bin bag with me and picked all of (simon's?) fancy dress up :tease:. Was funny for the first day but it gradually became disgusting and unsightly.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#84 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
October 27, 2016, 07:34:34 pm
Aye, good effort Mr Iron Horse  :punk:

+1

You could've just tied up the bag, and left it hanging from a tree like everyone else, of course.  ;)

..that's what Sam would've done. ;)

submaximal gains

• player
#85 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
April 29, 2017, 10:25:20 pm
Collected a bin bag's worth at the parking for Anston stones, there's still more there - mostly drinks cans and bottles. There's currenty a skip in the parking opposite so if anyone goes there in the near future it is very easy to dispose of any waste you pick up.

SamT

• forum hero
#86 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
November 27, 2017, 03:07:17 pm

Are we back to having to link photos from Flickr etc?

You'll have to use your imagination to conjure up an image of quite a lot of old finger tape, fag butts, baked bean tin and black poo bag (found just by the green traverse) amongst other plastic bits and bobs from a quick circuit of Pebble, Green Trav, Business Block.

It struck me that the largest proportion was discarded finger tape and fag butts, which suggests some climbers dont consider it 'litter'   >:(

(and there were climbers with a dog too, maybe it was a genuine 'forgot to pick up the poo bag' moment  :slap:).

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#87 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
December 29, 2018, 05:56:58 pm
Got one of the these litter pickets from amazon to keep in my van, it did an okay job of picking up the half full bottles of pepsi and picnic remnants some kind souls left at stanage popular

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#88 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
December 30, 2018, 01:36:06 pm
Yeah, right!

Admit it. You just want to make sure you always have a wire in above your head!

Seriously, great work, and a good reminder that I should at least go out with a spare bag.

:clap2:

JamieG

• forum hero
#89 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 29, 2019, 12:49:23 pm
Picked up about a dozen glass bottles (mostly Desperados beer) near the sloping top boulder at Wimberry last night. Although there is still quite a lot of broken glass (and other litter) around, so be careful if you are up there. Disappointing but not really surprising since it keeps growing in popularity as a picnic spot. Although they do seem to have stopped peoples using disposable BBQs. Was loads of people around last night including a couple policemen, guess they are worried about moor fires no the weather is hot.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#90 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
June 30, 2019, 01:19:54 pm
Picked up about a dozen glass bottles (mostly Desperados beer) near the sloping top boulder at Wimberry last night. Although there is still quite a lot of broken glass (and other litter) around, so be careful if you are up there. Disappointing but not really surprising since it keeps growing in popularity as a picnic spot. Although they do seem to have stopped peoples using disposable BBQs. Was loads of people around last night including a couple policemen, guess they are worried about moor fires no the weather is hot.

Always good to see this one ressurected. Should pass on a link to the Peak Park.

.. and remind myself always to go out with a spare bag!

Nice effort.

Have a point  :2thumbsup:

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#91 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 01, 2019, 05:15:09 pm
A thanks to Outside for the annual litter pick event. My fave find was a bunch of hairspray bottles from an old fire under Puttrel's on Wharncliffe (kids trying to make explosions?). Also a different type of explosions were evident with loads of used nappies.

tomtom

• forum hero
#92 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 01, 2019, 10:35:40 pm
A thanks to Outside for the annual litter pick event. My fave find was a bunch of hairspray bottles from an old fire under Puttrel's on Wharncliffe (kids trying to make explosions?). Also a different type of explosions were evident with loads of used nappies.

Hairspray cans = glue sniffing / solvent abuse I’m afraid...

mark20

• junky
#93 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 01, 2019, 11:00:31 pm
On the way back down from Wharncliffe one evening last winter the local youths were setting up for a rave in one of the tunnels on the approach path, which was ankle deep in muddy water, good effort I say !  :punk: And no litter in the area the next time I went past a couple of days later. I'm usually pleasantly surprised how tidy the place is given its location.

JCorbot

#94 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 01, 2019, 11:22:43 pm
My dog did 3 poo’s On the way to the crag the other day. The first two I picked up and binned in special bags. However I’d ran out with the last one so gathered it up in a big rhubarb leaf and chucked it in the bushes. No harm done I say, what are people’s opinions on this?

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#95 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 02, 2019, 09:38:32 am
Your dog shits a lot

JamieG

• forum hero
#96 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 02, 2019, 10:59:46 am
This debate has even come up in Westminster. The whole 'stick and flick' disposal method. Makes sense somewhere very rural but obviously not at popular crags.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39254072

JCorbot

#97 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
July 02, 2019, 11:46:20 pm
Your dog shits a lot

The dog does poo quite a lot. I think it’s the Bakers Meaty Chunks and Pigs ears combined. I prefer to use the word poo rather than s*** if you don’t mind. Swearing is a bit unnecessary. We all have waste products, even climbers. 

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#98 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
August 06, 2019, 11:03:51 am
Perhaps this no-nonsense approach from Spain might be adopted?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#99 Re: Pick it Up, Post it Up!
May 18, 2020, 09:38:27 am
On walk the other day, and found some manky old balloons and ribbon wrapped around barbed wire fences, one set pink, one set blue. Assume released on a happy occasion, wedding or birth of a child. if the wire hadn't got it, 10m further and it would have been in the sea.

Celebrate a happy occasion by killing off some marine life!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal