UKBouldering.com

what is the best way to clean smelly rock boots? (Read 20165 times)

benpritch

• forum abuser
put them in the washing machine on a cool/delicates  cycle. my green five tens have stood up to this numerous times.

ps i used hippy washing powder (ecover) might be less harsh on glues etc than regular washing powder.

but non hippy alternatives might be better at shifting those stubborn niffs

sorry paul i didn't read your first post properly.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Have you thought about putting them in the washing machine, I'm sure I've heard that works.  :-\

Also, more suggestions here.

benpritch

• forum abuser
put them in the washing machine on a cool/delicates  cycle. my green five tens have stood up to this numerous times.

ps i used hippy washing powder (ecover) might be less harsh on glues etc than regular washing powder.

definitely put them in the washing machine

PaulyDB

• player
no worries ben.
I have thought about putting them in the wash but I thought I would try other methods first.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a

Was that written on Nik's behalf? I'm getting lost. in a world of

Quote from: Who the fuck knows?
quotes

account_inactive

• forum hero

The washing machine sounds like a good idea

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The washing machine sounds like a good idea
Another vote for washing machines

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Went to the beacon wall at the august bank holiday (due to all too predictable and unfortunate weather conditions), and they had a machine thing that looked like a microwave.  It cost me a few quid to get my shoes put in it.

Did absolutely nothing apart from lighten my pocket.  Still stinky.  Thought about beating the crap out of the operator to get my money back, but she was young and pretty so I didn't.  Am a bit ashamed of being taken in frankly - was tempted to put "a friend of mine" but thought I may as well fess up in the interests of bettering the knowledge of society.  Same goes for the "treatment" you can pay a bit extra for when getting shoes resoled - whatever gamma rays they shine on it, it does nothing.

If the washing machine doesn't work, I guess the only option is to sell them.  :shrug:

Bobling

• menacing presence
As someone else has pointed out I got all sorts of suggestions about this when I posted a similar thread.  The cold water and milton baby fluid 24 hour soak seemed to do the trick though - at least it turned the smell down from 11. 

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Went to the beacon wall at the august bank holiday (due to all too predictable and unfortunate weather conditions), and they had a machine thing that looked like a microwave.  It cost me a few quid to get my shoes put in it.

Did absolutely nothing apart from lighten my pocket.  Still stinky.  Thought about beating the crap out of the operator to get my money back, but she was young and pretty so I didn't.  Am a bit ashamed of being taken in frankly - was tempted to put "a friend of mine" but thought I may as well fess up in the interests of bettering the knowledge of society.  Same goes for the "treatment" you can pay a bit extra for when getting shoes resoled - whatever gamma rays they shine on it, it does nothing.

The Works do that for free, and it does seem to help I find, however if they were absolutely grotty as, then they may need a double shot. I'd recommend cleaning them first, then zapping them second. The cleaning gets rid of the dirt/ grime/ some bacteria, whereas the zapping thing kills the rest of the bacteria.

tomtom

• forum hero
Dont buy 5:10's. They get to stinking stage faster than any boots I've ever owned. Largely due to the non-breathable 'COWDURA' (tm) leather alternative that they make their shoes from.

Slacklines advice about keeping them out of your bag at all times is the best I've found... Mine then just live (and fester/breed) in the boot of the car.

webbo

• forum hero
i too leave mine in the back of the car.however i leave them in a plastic bag to fester.i find the smell is useful in covering the  smell of my farts.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Dont buy 5:10's. They get to stinking stage faster than any boots I've ever owned.
You clearly haven't owned a pair of Evolvs, mmmm vegetarian shoes made from totally unbreathable materials.  :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Indeed. My Defys take on a whiff somehere between ripe Camembert and a good Dorset Blue Vinny.

Link

I can vouch for the Mitlon method.

Washing machine followed by a 24hr steep in water with double the guideline Milton dose.

Rubber was amazingly sticky aftewards.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Instead of milton you could just use diluted household bleach.Pretty much the same stuff. Could even go for a lemon scented one!

I think PaulyDB has disappeared anyway.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Instead of milton you could just use diluted household bleach.Pretty much the same stuff.
Similar but with important differences
Hypochlorite is bleach, which is toxic. Is Milton toxic also?
No. As stated above, toxicity in hypochlorites is due to the by-product of their
decomposition, sodium chlorate. With the heavy ions removed Milton decomposes into water and a small amount of sodium chloride (salt).
Not that I'm suggesting you drink it from your rock boots, but Milton is a lot less toxic than bleach, you can sterilize drinking water with Milton

SA Chris

• forum hero
I wasnt't implying anyone should use bleach to sterilise baby bottles, but for cleaning rockboots you don't need to buy Milton. Just rinse thoroughly after.

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
I actually emailed evolv asking their advice on how to clean my pontas lace ups. They got back to me pretty fast and suggested bunging them in the washing machine on a cool wash with some mild detergent (powder). It worked for me, I do them pretty regularly now.

jonjon

• addict
use a Klenz machine - the Works have one as do feet first in chesterfield
they kill all the smelly bacteria and keep your boots smelling good for ages.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I give all my shoes to my boy-slave, he licks them clean, or I beat him.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal