UKBouldering.com

what is the best way to clean smelly rock boots? (Read 20214 times)

PaulyDB

• player
what is the best way to clean smelly rock boots?
September 21, 2009, 02:26:33 pm
I have been wearing my 5.10 verdes for almost a year now, despite the fact that I hang them up outside after each use they still smell really bad.
I've tried soaking them in warm water and biological washing powder overnight, I've tried sprinkling bicarbonate of soda inside them, hanging them outside all the time and only bringing them in to pack them before going climbing. I even read on the internet that sealing them in a plastic bag and putting them in the freezer overnight works really well, well I can assure you that it doesn't. I have just removed my shoes from the freezer and all it has done is leave me with the worlds stiffest rock boots.
it has been suggested that putting them in the washing machine works really well but I didn't want to damage them. plus if an overnight soak in washing powder did nothing then I don't think putting them through a normal wash cycle will make any difference.

anyone got any ideas?

PaulyDB

• player
apologies Bubba.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Clip them to your bag when leaving a venue for starters, this helps dry them out and stops them sweating inside your bag on the way home.

Its likely that there is tons of dead skin inside your shoes harbouring bacteria that are causing the smell, scraping all of this out would be a good idea.

Failing that piss in them, they'll still smell, but you won't get any top-ropers bothering you 'cause of the stench of piss emanating from your shoes.   :P ;)

PaulyDB

• player
don't be so bloody stupid.
I'm trying to be serious here.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Someone asked a similar question recently, but can't find thread now.

Tea tree oil is meant to be good for killing bacteria.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
don't be so bloody stupid.
I'm trying to be serious here.

Two of my three responses were serious, you can choose which one's taking the piss for yourself  :)

(Perhaps you're starting to realise that there is a lot of piss-taking goes on in these forums).

PaulyDB

• player
yes it is clear to see which one of your comments was taking the piss :)
I do realise there is a lot of piss-taking in these forums.
I love a bit of banter as much as the next person, but I do not class the personal abuse that has been directed at me over the last week as banter.
being called a thief and being accused of selling stolen items is not banter and it is not very nice no matter who you are.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
yes it is clear to see which one of your comments was taking the piss :)
I do realise there is a lot of piss-taking in these forums.

Making headway then.

I love a bit of banter as much as the next person, but I do not class the personal abuse that has been directed at me over the last week as banter.
being called a thief and being accused of selling stolen items is not banter and it is not very nice no matter who you are.

You asked a question, I gave a couple of answers, one of which was a light-hearted joke.  But I made no accusation as to your honesty or any other personal attribute, nor have I done so in the other threads (where I was trying to be helpful and point out why you were getting the responses you were).  So whilst you might still be bearing a grudge about how people have responded to you in this forum its not me that you should be holding it against.  How about forgetting about it and starting afresh*? 

* Although thats the impression I got you were trying to do with your Almscliff post and this thread, but because you're not getting the answers you want then you bring up the accusations that were levelled at you.  If you want to get specific answers to a question then you'd be best off answering them yourself, as you have no control or influence over what others post.  Like I said I provided two useful suggestions and balanced that out with a light-hearted joke, if that riles you then these aren't the forums you are looking for.

cofe

• forum hero
when mine start to smell i just buy some new ones. fuck it, it's only money.

PaulyDB

• player
I don't hold a grudge against you or anyone else who has tried to help me.
I am trying my best to start fresh.
as for the almscliff post I was simply pointing out a fact, I wish to forget it and move on and I hope others can do the same.

as for buying new shoes, I do have a second pair of verdes that I haven't even had on my feet yet but I wanted to get as much use out of my current pair before I start wearing my new ones.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I don't hold a grudge against you or anyone else who has tried to help me.
I am trying my best to start fresh.
as for the almscliff post I was simply pointing out a fact, I wish to forget it and move on and I hope others can do the same.

Thats cool, but you'll still get people having a dig or two, so best take a couple of showers in white-spirit to toughen the skin up.

as for buying new shoes, I do have a second pair of verdes that I haven't even had on my feet yet but I wanted to get as much use out of my current pair before I start wearing my new ones.

Its useful to start wearing a pair of shoes in concurrently with your usual pair, they do take some breaking in, and that way you will reduce the wear on those you are currently using, and when they do finally give you'll have a nice comfy pair to go out in that won't need breaking in.

cofe

• forum hero
if you wear them down the wall a lot, or on hot days, don't leave them to fester in your bag when you get home. mine always stink more if i leave them crammed away full of leg-hand sweat.

benpritch

• forum abuser
put them in the washing machine on a cool/delicates  cycle. my green five tens have stood up to this numerous times.

PaulyDB

• player
there is still plenty of life left in my current pair so I think I have plenty of time to break in my new ones.

I never do leave them in my bag and yet they still stink, I don't know what to do and I certainly don't want my new shoes going the same way.
I even tried using a jetwasher to clean them inside but that didn't work, they still smell just as bad.

benpritch

• forum abuser
put them in the washing machine on a cool/delicates  cycle. my green five tens have stood up to this numerous times.

PaulyDB

• player
I was going to do that but I was worried about damaging my boots.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

kills the bacteria that makes the smell, also helps prevent the fungus that infects toe nails. Boots do their own version also.

cofe

• forum hero
i'm waiting for pritch to requote himself again......

nik at work

• forum hero
You could try putting some Bicarbonate of Soda in them. People use it to stop rugs stinking of pets and such like so will probably work. I think you put some in, leave it for a bit and then tip it out (well on rugs you hoover/dyson/other brand of vacuum cleaner it up but I'm not sure how successful that would be with a shoe).
Or you could just ignore it until your wife cites it as reason for divorce, that's what I'm doing...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Plus if you sweat at all you will get a nice fizzy feeling from the bicarb.

PaulyDB

• player
I have already tried bicarbonate of soda and it didn't work.

benpritch

• forum abuser

ps i used hippy washing powder (ecover) might be less harsh on glues etc than regular washing powder.

nik at work

• forum hero
Was it worth the wait Cofe?

benpritch

• forum abuser

ps i used hippy washing powder (ecover) might be less harsh on glues etc than regular washing powder.

but non hippy alternatives might be better at shifting those stubborn niffs

cofe

• forum hero
Was it worth the wait Cofe?

You're not wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal