UKBouldering.com

The flattening of the trails...... (Read 20490 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#25 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 03:40:18 pm
Good start Cofe, my man.  So, rather than just moaning about it, I propose we follow your lead and get political.

Therefore, who's interested in forming a pressure group to keep an eye on things and pressure both SCC and the PDNPA to keep things natural.  Maybe SCAMP would be an appropriate name as in Sheffield Collective Against Motorwayification of the Peak.  I'm open to suggestions on that one.  I know there are moves afoot to form such a group elsewhere, so if you let me know that you're interested, I'll see what I can do.

jh

cofe

• forum hero
#26 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 03:43:36 pm
I'd prefer a ruder acronym, but in principle I'm up for it. Cyclist Unimpressed (at) Neutralisation (of) Trails?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 03:57:57 pm
I'd prefer a ruder acronym, but in principle I'm up for it. Cyclist Unimpressed (at) Neutralisation (of) Trails?

:agree:  :thumbsup:

cofe

• forum hero
#28 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 03:58:37 pm
in the dark peak mtb book there is a route with a top 10 climb - somewhere south of charleworth.  cant check as my book is in storage.  anyway - rode it about 2 years a go and the top 10 climb is virtually tarmaced.  think the horsie crowd are responsible.  its the route which starts by a pub with a water wheel.

Jon thinks this is Robin Hoods Picking Rods on Rowarth Circuit.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#29 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 04:08:03 pm
 :thumbsup:

I'll put you down then Cofe.  I'd love to be part of a group known as the CUNTS just to see the look on the horsey folks faces when we turn up to a meeting and announce ourselves  -  "Good evening, we represent concerned MBers and we are CUNTS"

tee hee

cofe

• forum hero
#30 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 04:17:23 pm
it's a shame it's not footpaths we've miffed about: Mountain (bikers) Unimpressed (at) Flattening (of) Footpaths.

BenF

• forum hero
#31 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 04:19:36 pm
Funny this should come up on here.  I don't bike in the Peak much anymore (well not for a few years for sure) but I run a lot in the hills/forests of Cheshire and the Clwyd hills near Wrexham and this is going in many places there.  Many of the trails in Delamere have been widened to produce bland rubble/gravel motorways, presumably under the guise of reducing erosion and giving access for the disabled, much as they have been in the examples you guys quote.  Again, as has been pointed out, these rubble tracks don't exactly make the place any more accessible for someone with a disabilty; other than laziness or a phobia of getting posh trainers dirty. 

Its obviously a UK thing because I haven't noticed quite such ridiculous trails being carved in other countries that I've run in.  The Swiss have a huge network of trails throughout the country but don't seem to have the need to drive wide gravel trails everywhere.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#32 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 28, 2009, 04:36:38 pm
it's a shame it's not footpaths we've miffed about: Mountain (bikers) Unimpressed (at) Flattening (of) Footpaths.

So, logically, if we called ourselves that, anytime I fell off me bike I'd be a muff diver.......

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#33 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 02:04:42 pm
No muff to tough we dive at five

as the councils are responsible for maintaining bridleways is it that some manager has not spent his budget so rather than lose it does some needless repair work on the trails ?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#34 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 03:21:57 pm
It looks that way.  I notice from the SCC reply above that it's all part of the Right Of Way Improvement Plan, so it's been decided by, amongst others, the local access forum which should include a wide range of interested parties.  However, I wonder if they really knew how destructive the SCC engineers intended to be.

Check out the ROWIP, if you're short of things to do at:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/cycling-and-walking-and-prow/prow/open-access/rights-of-way-improvement-plan

jh

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 04:11:28 pm
Check out the ROWIP, if you're short of things to do at:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/cycling-and-walking-and-prow/prow/open-access/rights-of-way-improvement-plan

jh

Just started having a skim through this and got to page 5 where is states...

Local rights of way:
   Footpath – a right of way on foot or with the normal accompaniment of a
pedestrian, such as a dog.

Since when has a dog been a pedestrian:shrug:

It also states on pg8...

The Definitive Map is the obvious starting point for assessing the public path networ - its availability, fragmentation and potential.

But nowhere does it indicate, nor even given a citation, as to where this "Definitive Map" may be obtained from.  What a mystery!!!

Typical half-arsed council crap  :wank:  ...although I shall read further and see if I can be proved wrong.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#36 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 04:56:11 pm
 :agree:  Bloody hell Slackers, too much time on your hands?  Yep, it's your usual mix of obscure council-speak, gibberish and some stuff I can't understand.........

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#37 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 05:15:44 pm
:agree:  Bloody hell Slackers, too much time on your hands? 

Making the most of eight days left at work before I leave for a more fulfilling position and the boss being out of the office all day (and therefore an hour and a halfs liquid lunch  :beer2:).

Yep, it's your usual mix of obscure council-speak, gibberish and some stuff I can't understand.........

Bunch of fuckwits really, I'm sure if you asked any of the authors to actually explain in plain english what they mean they wouldn't be able to.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#38 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 07:10:32 pm
I hereby wish to state my desire to be a C.U.N.T., If there is anything I can do to help Let me know by pm.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#39 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 07:12:48 pm
you're doing great so far Joe

;)

fatkid2000

• junky
#40 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 29, 2009, 07:34:47 pm
So by 2017 - when it looks like the council half wits will be finished the entire Peak within the city boundaries will have a nice motorway to access it thanks to the council dumping all its shit housing waste in the Peak. Seems to be a variant of fly-dipping that SCC can get away with. The alpine countries maintain their paths really well - but they certainly don't flatten them in the manner than SCC has.

I've emailed my MP as I was bored yesterday evening, asking about its polluting effect on a delicate eco-system.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#41 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 30, 2009, 09:03:22 am
Thanks for the positive replys chaps.  Hoping to get some kind of initial meeting together soon,  in a suitable hostelry, obviously............. :beer1:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#42 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 30, 2009, 10:30:24 am
From page 32
Quote from:  ROWIP
Not all paths can be made suitable for disabled people, the elderly or
pram/pushchair users. Upland paths for example are likely to remain restricted by
their topography.

Nice to see they are on the ball...
page 78
The City Council will  promote the use of folding bikes

Policy 14, page 25
Policy 14. In areas designated for nature conservation the impact of access
provision will be treated with sensitivity and with due regard to the likely
affects on the flora, fauna and any important geology.
A distinction needs to be made between routes suitable for mountain bikes
and those for ‘road cycles’. Again a classification system and improved signage
would greatly assist users, especially disabled people.

There are 92 references to 'cycle' and 1 to 'mountain bike', not very scientific but it probably tells us quite a bit about the authors.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#43 Re: The flattening of the trails......
September 30, 2009, 05:07:22 pm
FYA:
Its not just MB and horsies this bothers. Althougha climber and roadie, since the missus had 2 nippers I like a walk once in a while :o
Now my  quiet wooded evening stroll with the nippers through lady cannings up to the stones, with the little ones scrambling over tree roots and over rocks has been reduced to a pram dodging exercise on a fucking mini road. :furious:

cofe

• forum hero
#44 Re: The flattening of the trails......
October 06, 2009, 02:47:45 pm
From the Council re: Houndkirk:

Basically we are doing 2 schemes on the Houndkirk track, one at the very start just off Sheephill Road and the other being predominately in the middle section of the open moorland and accessed from the Fox House end.

Regarding this second scheme (which has started today - Thursday) I can assure you that we share your concerns that this is a SSSI and an ecologically sensitive site and to this end all the stone we are using will be natural gritstone and not reclaimed recycled material.

Regarding the first scheme, this is at the very beginning of the track and only extends for approx 100m and is an attempt to tidy up this area, which has looked very tatty for a while,  with something that allows a few cars to park, is sustainable, deals with water run off and makes the whole start of the track more appealing.
To this end we have used recycled reclaimed materials in this area as this is the best unbound material available to resist erosion. You will notice that we have tried to delineate a parking area, covered over with soil a further untidy area, Laid a large pipe under the track to take water from one side to the other, installed an extra water channel across the track, dug a ditch up the left hand side to take the water that consistently runs down that side and use the soil from this ditch to cover over some of the excessively wide track that had gradually developed.

I hope you will agree that this has tidied this area up. For your information the track at this point is not part of the SSSI as it lies between woodlands and farmed fields. I do not intend to use the reclaimed material any further up the track, however if other repairs are necessary I will use natural gritstone. Also, I would advise you that I do intend to continue the ditch up the left hand side and cover over the secondary track with material dug from it

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#45 Re: The flattening of the trails......
October 06, 2009, 06:49:49 pm
 :'(

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#46 Re: The flattening of the trails......
October 07, 2009, 05:47:36 pm
And the Peak National Park has just reported that it has been granted £1.25million to encourage "leisure and commuting cyclists"  :o

The investment will aim to:
•       Build new cycling trails around the national park and improve existing ones 
•       Encourage families to go cycling regularly as a leisure activity
•       Educate the public about the health benefits of cycling
•       Give commuters and visitors a genuine alternative to travelling around the national park by car
•       Help reduce traffic congestion and environmental pollution

All very laudable, but if it's simply used to motorwayify the trails, it'll be a disaster......

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#47 Re: The flattening of the trails......
October 07, 2009, 11:52:20 pm
One would suggest ( if one would be so persuaded)

to buy a quality foldable spade and tweek These now smoothed trails to have optional jumps, or drops..

If one was of that persuation...

The old renegade Mtber of old seems to have been surpassed.

One would Suggest the new type of path and the needs of the modern XC mtber could live side by side... But trail tweeking will be needed, one could never condone this from a presonal perspective of course. National represention would be ideal

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#48 Re: The flattening of the trails......
October 08, 2009, 11:33:28 am
*hic* :alky:

thustler

• regular
#49 Re: The flattening of the trails......
October 08, 2009, 02:51:02 pm
One would suggest ( if one would be so persuaded)

to buy a quality foldable spade and tweek These now smoothed trails to have optional jumps, or drops..

Dog walkers dont seem to appreciate it as much as mountain bikers  :guilty:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal