UKBouldering.com

How can anyone over the age of eight belief that (Read 9396 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
How can anyone over the age of eight belief that
September 12, 2009, 07:30:07 pm
Glass is still a liquid, even after a couple of hundred years, which is why glass at the bottom of old windows is thicker than the glass at the top........

The above was heard as an explanation by a NT worker at Lyme House today as an explanation for irregularities in the glass.

Over to you for stupid beliefs (eg that the Tories will be better than Labour, Strawberries is harder than 4+ etc)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
I believe that believe does not have an 'f'

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I belieF that Saturday night is drinking night

Sloper

• forum hero
No had a drop guv

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Beliefs

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/believes

Ahhh feck I was one the phone to my mother and not paying much attention as she was warbling on and on about very little indeed.  Yes of course the title should read believe.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:13:24 pm by Sloper »

andy popp

• forum hero
I belieF that Saturday night is drinking night

David Cameron in good taste shock!

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I belieF glass is fly.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
No had a drop guv

[url=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Beliefs]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Beliefs[/url]

[url=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/believes]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/believes[/url]

Ahhh feck I was one the phone to my mother and not paying much attention as she was warbling on and on about very little indeed.  Yes of course the title should read believe.....

Mistakes are coloured red, Slopes, me old fruit! You can do better than this..... and that thing about glass is absolutely true. Straight up.

Sloper

• forum hero
Rubbish, my typing and your theory about glass.

andy popp

• forum hero
Great paper Stubbs

The float glass process: the only good thing to have ever come out of St Helens?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Great paper Stubbs

The float glass process: the only good thing to have ever come out of St Helens?
Errr Joe Healy and Phil Davidson in their heyday, My Mum (possibly the scariest old lady in the universe, and certainly one of its best 80yr old golfers), St. Helen's rugby league club. The list is finite, (very finite).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
and don't forget that massive eruption in 1980, that was well impressive

tomtom

• forum hero
and don't forget that massive eruption in 1980, that was well impressive
;D
Excellent... The area is still recovering from the pyroclastic flows especially that lahar that took out the Aldi...

route149

• addict
  • 'Let's see how Ben does it...'

The above was heard as an explanation by a NT worker at Lyme House today as an explanation for irregularities in the glass.

Yes! I heard a similar thing a few years ago, in the same setting.  When I asked why, then, windows shatter and do not flex when a ball is thrown at them, I was told 'We're not scientists, we just have a lot of windows to go by.' 

The one I really like is that if you jump in a lift as it goes up, you will smash your head into a pulp.  If you jump in a lift as it goes down, you will hover an increasing distance above the falling lift, and as it comes to a stop, your guts will come out of your mouth.  These theories are obviously both true.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I think the whole thing is based on a thought experiment.

1. No matter how pessimistic or optimistic you are, an empty glass is worth nothing compared to one with liquid in it.
2. Lager's Neo-Platonic Form theory states that things are what people value them as - which is to say, how it is of use.
    2a. Glass can be seen to have the same properties as any liquid that can be held in it.
3. Glass is a liquid.

Anyone who disagrees is anti-semantic and will be chucked in 101 with Jim Davidson

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I remember being interviewed to study Chemistry at the University of Essex and was asked whether glass was a solid or liquid.  I didn't know the intricacies highlighted in the above linked article so plumped for solid and was then told it was a type of liquid.

Probably a good thing I opted for a different subject and University.

dave

Over to you for stupid beliefs

how about the one that a hot drink cools you down.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Great paper Stubbs

Errr Joe Healy and Phil Davidson in their heyday, My Mum (possibly the scariest old lady in the universe, and certainly one of its best 80yr old golfers), St. Helen's rugby league club. The list is finite, (very finite).

Isn't Mike Owen (old school wad, 8b+ at 50) a St Helens ex-pat?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Over to you for stupid beliefs

how about the one that a hot drink cools you down.

By increasing the area within the body that is at core temperature, which in turn increases the blood flow to peripheral, cooler areas which in turn increases vasodilation of blood flow to the skin allowing heat to do its thing with entropy and dissipate into the surrounding area as water/moisture evaporates from the skin  :shrug:

dave

but can it do enough fo that to counteract the heating effect of having the drink in the first place? Surley that implies the human perspiratory system works at over 100% efficiency? If it did, would we not all die of cold, all the time?

tomtom

• forum hero

1. No matter how pessimistic or optimistic you are, an empty glass is worth nothing compared to one with liquid in it.
2. Lager's Neo-Platonic Form theory states that things are what people value them as - which is to say, how it is of use.
    2a. Glass can be seen to have the same properties as any liquid that can be held in it.
3. Glass is a liquid.

Anyone who disagrees is anti-semantic and will be chucked in 101 with Jim Davidson

Lagers, I think you should head up a Cult with ideas like that - Maybe you could recruit Stallioni to work on the initiation ceremony?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I don't really work alone. Initiations usually require my mothers "guns" and GCW and his missus on mop-up duty.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser

3. Glass is a liquid.

I agree with the above entirely, but my glass failed to be of use as Lego when I put some in it (note I had used a suitable solvent to liquefy the Lego). And Joe's neo-platonic theory of forms states that everything is always what is was regardless of how much organic solvent you pour on it, (I reduce myself to empirical proof of this: I always wake up me however much alcohol I put down my neck the night before).
So is my glass Lego or not, and can it help me to finish my mammoth THE WHOLE OF STAR WARS IN LEGO BUILT FROM SCRATCH project that I am currently trying to finish.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:01:17 pm by Joepicalli »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass

3. Glass is a liquid.

See. Joe is already quoting me word for word. 143,999 places still left

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
but can it do enough fo that to counteract the heating effect of having the drink in the first place? Surley that implies the human perspiratory system works at over 100% efficiency? If it did, would we not all die of cold, all the time?

Perspiration simply aids the transfer of heat it doesn't regulate the flow of blood to the skin.  In contrast to vasodilation vasoconstriction reduces the flow of blood to the skin and the rate at which heat is lost.  You then have hairs that can be raised or lowered to aid heat retention/loss in conjunction with perspiration.

Its great being a homeotherm.

I wouldn't know if the increased blood flow to the skin is enough to actually cool you though as I never drink tea/coffee/hot chocolate/latte/etc. so have no experience on which to form an opinion, strictly alcohol for me  :beer1: :beer2: :pissed: :alky:

But if drinking a hot drink warms you up, you're body will reduce that temperature back to 36.8±0.7 °C (oral temp).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal