UKBouldering.com

your boy DB (Read 8365 times)

dave

your boy DB
September 09, 2009, 10:49:34 pm
Anyone else just see Derren Brown predict all 6 lottery numbers? Be interesting to see how that was done on friday etc.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: your boy DB
September 09, 2009, 10:59:47 pm
Yeah and just re-watched it v closely. No obvious cheating. Crazy. Wonder if he bought a ticket.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#2 Re: your boy DB
September 09, 2009, 11:00:22 pm
No,

For two reasons

1. I don't own a television
2. He didn't it was a trick

Besides even if I did own a TV I wouldn't watch that pile of shit stained vomit and here's the killer, if you could do that would you let the cat out of the bag for a £200k cheque or a million or so three times a week.

He's a cvnt, the producers think the viewers are cvnts and I don't give a shit.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: your boy DB
September 09, 2009, 11:16:07 pm
I heard he writes a students dissertation without knowing the subject in the next programme!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: your boy DB
September 09, 2009, 11:23:47 pm

I suspect he'll use a similar scam to the one where he predicted the correct horses in the program a few years back but on a larger scale with more clever editing.

Makes for great viewing though.

dave

#5 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 08:53:57 am
sloper, you're just an idiot. I don't hate you for it though.

You didn't watch it, and apparently don't give a shit - so why reply to the thread?

Anyone who IS interested in this care to reply?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:59:38 am by dave »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 09:13:13 am
I didn't see it but I did see David Copperfield make the Statue of Liberty disappear once and he was engaged to a supermodel at the time.

Beat that Darren!

dave

#7 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 09:20:54 am
I doubt DB is engaged to any supermodel since he's apparently an iron. Probably explains why sloper feels threatened by him.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 09:26:00 am
I heard he writes a students dissertation without knowing the subject in the next programme!

;D

Dave, my patois/street-talk/rhyming slang knowledge is letting me down (I am getting old...) whats an Iron? I guess what it means, but why iron?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 09:30:28 am
Iron hoof.......

Yeah I did know that he was 'good with colours'. Part of my poor attempt at humour.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 09:33:43 am
Iron hoof.......

Ahh, sorry, I'm a bit of a slow Sir Anthony this morning...

Durbs

• forum hero
#11 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 09:35:25 am
I've read his book which is a very good read - though doesn't really delve into any of his later, bigger stunts - but explains alot of different techniques for the "mind reading"/suggestion stuff. To the degree that you can watch a few of his tricks and spot what he's doing.
There's also a great passage about mis-directing the mis-direction and the amount of pre-planning that goes into a simple trick.
The example being a simple magic trick of picking a coin up off the table and making it dissapear (The dissapearing bit is really simple). On it's own, it makes no sense, why put a coin down on the table just to pick it up again. So he creates a whole "story" of walking into the pub flustered, emptying his pockets onto the table, and the coin's the last thing to be picked up. Turning a pub trick into a really strange occurance. You can then extrapolate this onto a much larger scale...
(I really didn't explain that well...)

Anyway.

Saw him live which was awesome, and generally I'm a huge fan.

dave

#12 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 09:37:22 am
yeah that book is a really good read. plenty of stuff about how organised religion manipulates people, always good to see in print.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 10:09:28 am
True. Must have a look at that, even though he hasn't levitated over the Grand Canyon.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#14 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 10:51:00 am
sloper, you're just an idiot. I don't hate you for it though.

You didn't watch it, and apparently don't give a shit - so why reply to the thread?

Anyone who IS interested in this care to reply?

Why reply, because discussing shite like this as if it has any relevance degrades the public intellect and the capacity for meaningful thought and considered discussion. 

As for your comment that I'm just an idiot, you're wrong I'm much more than just an idiot.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 10:56:06 am
If it was just some cunt doing a trick (i.e. Copperfield) then your comments would be justified Sloper. However the interesting thing about Brown is that he is open about his methods and willing to show that it isn't "magic" at all but the way that human minds can be manipulated. This in itself is fascinating and worthy of discussion as it is relevant to virtually every part of living. You are wrong.

Durbs

• forum hero
#16 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 11:12:40 am
But... taking into account the amount of smokescreening and misdirection he does, a lot of his explantations are misdirection in themselves. Which all adds to the mystery, because if he tells you how he does it, you think you know, so you're easier to fool the next time.
Very clever chap.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 11:18:39 am
Yeah but has he walked through The Great Wall of China? I think not.

DC's even ahead in mind control for getting Schiffer to find him attractive.

dave

#18 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 11:26:10 am
he looks like a sinister disco version of the Fonz.

I love the Partridge synopsis of DC:

"He claims to have made the Statue of Liberty disappear. It's still there. Talking out of his arse."

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 11:28:06 am
It's a strong look. Or does he just want me to think that........

Durbs

• forum hero
#20 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 11:28:28 am
Leather and Denim in one jacket.

That's just awesome.

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 11:58:05 am
Do you think he used to have a monobrow (a la Gallagher) and simply willed the hairs to drop out?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#22 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 01:13:49 pm
What a load of shit, Sloper. Why don't you think a bit about what DB actually does before you let rip with a tirade of meaningless babble.

Making plain the ease with which the human mind can be deceived and influenced is a great public service. Imagine how people may have started to think about what affect advertising and what they see in the media is really having on them since watching one of his shows. I know that this was the first time I really started to think about it in any great detail as I had previously underestimated the degree to which you could be influenced without realising it.

DB never really portrays himself as a magician in the traditional sense and if you knew anything about him you would know he deplores the type of mumbo jumbo associated with psychics etc. Anyone who thinks that he actually predicted a single set of Lottery Numbers before they were drawn is a fool.
I fail to see how a discussion speculating on how this trick was done could possibly "degrade the public intellect". Its a problem solving exercise which is something a lot of people could do with being better at.
I also think that the view that all "meaningfull" discussion must take place within the sphere of politics and current events etc is narrow minded, pretentious and haughtily obnoxious. You disappoint me by conforming to your own stereotype.

Back on topic. Did anybody flick between channels to check the delay? I didn't bother and wouldn't be surprised if not many people had reached for the remote. Could the trick be that most people will be drawn into his spiel and won't realise that the draw took place a few minutes ago? Is this too obvious?

dave

#23 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 01:34:05 pm
I flicked over, but only for a few seconds so I didn't miss anything, seemed all above board at a glance (it annoys me you new digital tellys don't change channels as fast as our old pushbutton ITT Nokia telly we had in the 80s).

dave

#24 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 01:39:30 pm
actually having thought about it, he could have made a calculated guess of when most people were likely to have switch over to check, to make sure that at a glance it seemed ok, but really it was just the same framed shot of presenter after the draw as used before. (i.e. you'd only really notice it if you had 2 tellys running both channels at the same time, since anyone tuning in for the DB broadcast is likely to switch back to it pretty fast so they don't miss anything).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#25 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 01:55:37 pm
What a disappointment. I thought this was going to be a thread all about the real PaulyDB.
 :shrug:

Yossarian

• forum hero
#26 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 05:26:39 pm

Hold on.  Isn't that what Sloper does?

Is Sloper actually Derren Brown?

His angry reply to Dave might just be misinformation.

Sloper is after all the kind of chap who'd reside in gothic revival splendour with lots of taxidermed rodents and various silk smoking jackets...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#27 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 10:25:57 pm
Some of the bloggers on the Guardian are suggesting split screen camera trickery, which would fit in with the heavily mashed up trailers that were on the last few weeks.

I get the feeling that there's not going to be much 'reveal' going on on Friday - I get the feeling this might either be DB exposing the camera tricks the Vegas-style boys use, or we'll find out he also predicted the numbers last year or something.

Oh, and he hypnotised my sister once.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#28 Re: your boy DB
September 10, 2009, 10:48:42 pm
Is Sloper actually Derren Brown?
You never see them in the same place at the same time... :-\

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#29 Re: your boy DB
September 12, 2009, 09:05:22 pm
So what did you think of the explanation. Bag o' shite. Much more inclined to believe the rigged machine and even more inclined to believe the split screen.

dave

#30 Re: your boy DB
September 12, 2009, 09:16:31 pm
rigged machine isn't his style.

205Chris

• forum hero
#31 Re: your boy DB
September 12, 2009, 09:28:47 pm
This is the most likely explanation I've seen.

I thought the explanation show was a big let down after the actual prediction.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#32 Re: your boy DB
September 14, 2009, 09:18:16 am
This is the most likely explanation I've seen.

I thought the explanation show was a big let down after the actual prediction.

Rumbled.

dave

#33 Re: your boy DB
September 14, 2009, 09:39:00 am
I must admit it is an odd move for DB here. Clearly he could never have actually predicted the lottery, since he'd still have a 1 in 13983816 chance of getting it right via any legitimate method.

It seems also like a step back to "conventional" magic that technically anyone of the traditional tv magician genre (like paul daniels etc) could have done rather than his usual mentalist shit. Sort of a bit dissapointing. But on the other hand after I'd watched the draw on wednesday I was buzzing simply because it was a great bit of TV, for that short period where you try and work out how it was done, it was great.

Not really sure the purpose of the decoy show on friday though, again this ain't usually his style. However the statistic (whether its true or not) that if you buy a ticket you're more likely to die before the draw happens than you are to win it was hilarious.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:26:27 am by dave »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: your boy DB
September 14, 2009, 10:23:11 am
As fascinating as the stuff he does is, I just wish he wasn't such an irritating bastard.

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#35 Re: your boy DB
September 14, 2009, 05:12:30 pm
I think his biggest trick was convincing those 24 muppets that they'd actually chose the winning numbers...  ;D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: your boy DB
September 18, 2009, 09:58:13 pm
Derren Brown made my cat stick to the chair, he just won't move!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#37 Re: your boy DB
September 18, 2009, 10:35:32 pm
Balls I missed it.

andy popp

• forum hero
#38 Re: your boy DB
September 18, 2009, 10:38:10 pm
I felt like I couldn't be bothered to get up.

chappers

• forum hero
#39 Re: your boy DB
September 19, 2009, 09:45:36 am
that show last night was a bit shit i think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal