UKBouldering.com

Extension to Stockport wall.. (Read 37767 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Extension to Stockport wall..
September 02, 2009, 06:14:02 pm
Hello,
I was over at the Stockport wall (Awesome Walls) on Monday and they've cleared the area opposite the bouldering wall ready to expand the bouldering section (so someone said).. This should close to double the wall space they have there...
Tom

saltbeef

• forum hero
#1 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 02, 2009, 06:18:27 pm
PLEASE MAKE IT A STEEP BOARD WITH WOODEN HOLDS!  :kiss1:

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 02, 2009, 06:22:01 pm

The only other thing I heard was someone saying it would look rather like the competition wall at the Works - which is fairly steep... all rumour though... Still, better than the party rooms for groups of 9 year olds which were there before...

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#3 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 02, 2009, 07:16:47 pm
Hello,
I was over at the Stockport wall (Awesome Walls) on Monday and they've cleared the area opposite the bouldering wall ready to expand the bouldering section
Tom

Is the bouldering section still open? I'm probably going there tomorrow night (working away)

Cheers

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 02, 2009, 08:09:42 pm
Hello,
I was over at the Stockport wall (Awesome Walls) on Monday and they've cleared the area opposite the bouldering wall ready to expand the bouldering section
Tom

Is the bouldering section still open? I'm probably going there tomorrow night (working away)

Cheers

Yeah, was on monday -they've cordoned off the new area (polish sparkys were in putting up the lights) but the regular area was fine..
T

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#5 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 02, 2009, 08:29:54 pm
Cheers for that.

Hopefully it will not be as hot and stuffy as my last visit  :-\

saltbeef

• forum hero
#6 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 02, 2009, 11:15:53 pm
i'm sure it will be hotter than the sun, and you'll leave with a dehydration headache.

galpinos

• forum hero
#7 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 08:44:19 am

I e-mailed Dave Douglas asking for just that, his reply:

Hi Nick

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. We’ll definitely be having a BIG steep board in there.

I’m still trying to pin down the builders for a date but all been well it should be completed by October.

Cheers

David Douglas
Managing Director

Awesome Walls Climbing Centres Ltd

Sounds promising!

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 09:52:39 am

I e-mailed Dave Douglas asking for just that, his reply:

Hi Nick

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. We’ll definitely be having a BIG steep board in there.

I’m still trying to pin down the builders for a date but all been well it should be completed by October.

Cheers

David Douglas
Managing Director

Awesome Walls Climbing Centres Ltd

Sounds promising!

Thats good news...  should be ready for when the weather turns shit.. hold in, it already has turned shit....

galpinos

• forum hero
#9 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 11:24:20 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do. I'd quite like to get membership as I end up splitting my time between Awesome, Rope Race for the steep board and Broughton. It's getting pretty expensive!

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 11:48:53 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do. I'd quite like to get membership as I end up splitting my time between Awesome, Rope Race for the steep board and Broughton. It's getting pretty expensive!

Stockport normally have a good set of problems - though this lot are not so hot, more along the lines of harder problems = smaller holds rather than different/interesting/harder moves...

saltbeef

• forum hero
#11 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 11:54:38 am
i disagree. i think the recent set are actually good. its just a shame that everything is piss except for the red problems. so that'll be about 7 problems that take more than 1 go... not exactly worth getting membership for.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 12:04:48 pm
i disagree. i think the recent set are actually good. its just a shame that everything is piss except for the red problems. so that'll be about 7 problems that take more than 1 go... not exactly worth getting membership for.

Fair enough.. for me the whites were all good and I did all of them fairly easily (couple of goes on some) but just cant get anywhere on any of the harder ones.. just a complete stonewall.. feels almost like one person has set the V0-V4 and someone else the V5 and higher.. Previous sets have been really good - plenty of variation within the grade band...
Its horses for courses I guess.. One thing's for sure, more wall space = more problems which means more to go at whatever your grade..   :) 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 12:09:58 pm
Maybe the confusion is being caused by them using a nonsense grading system.  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 12:12:10 pm
Maybe the confusion is being caused by them using a nonsense grading system.  :shrug:

:) Yup - I think V grades are pants - BUT... they work fairly well when across a range which removes some of their crapness..

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#15 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 12:12:52 pm
who cares.
Look at saltbeef

saltbeef

• forum hero
#16 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 12:15:03 pm

i think its used because we're nearer that side of the atlantic here than the peak because it takes so long to get through fucking glossop/stockport.

that central board should be 50degrees and it should have more than 4 1a problems on it. hope it gets done quickly and well cos its only 10mins out of the way from my commute.

exactly jim have a look at me! (7bs indoors fucking waddage!)

galpinos

• forum hero
#17 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 12:40:14 pm

Well you're obviously just a legend!  ;)

I agree though, I like this set, flashed some orange, worked some and failed on some. Starting to make some headway on the reds. Bit softer than previos sets (though I've not been down for a few months) and many have succumbed to beta.

If they had a trianing board, membership would be worth it

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#18 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 12:56:05 pm
i disagree. i think the recent set are actually good.

Me too. I have never been before, and found the setting to be great. Ok, there wasn't anything hard, bar one problem.
Also the grading system in there is silly, to a non regular like myself i couldn't structure a decent session .

Looking forward to new board, will become much more regular then.

Oh and some heat control would be good, that fan is ok but just blows the warm air about!

saltbeef

• forum hero
#19 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 01:02:27 pm
you hear that owners of climbing walls in manchester thats 3 people at least who would shell out if you had a training board! we're not all fat and climb 5b (Jim excepted).
yeah the oranges could've been harder. what i generally find is if vickers and cassidy don't set them then the harder problems are just reach dependent and appear to be set by people who wouldn't be able to climb them.

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 01:21:28 pm
that fan is ok

When little hoppo isn't stood in front of it blowing air up his shirt to make him look big  ::)

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 01:39:01 pm
Oh well, I guess for you guys pulling at the harder grades its better - I just couldnt get near any of them  :shrug:

They need to sort out the ventilation in there though... that single fan is useless.. it was missing last time I was there apparently because it stopped people hearing the music  :-\

galpinos

• forum hero
#22 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 02:46:10 pm
you hear that owners of climbing walls in manchester thats 3 people at least who would shell out if you had a training board!

Why not let Stockport know? Email addresses are:

Generic: stockport@awesomewalls.co.uk
Dave Douglas: daved@awesomewalls.co.uk

As well as a big steep board maybe a P.E./circuits training area, systems board?

Maybe you could also mention that all you training machines would wander round topless giving the guys something to aspire to and the girls something to oggle at?  ;)

(Apart from that guy who started a thread whinging about topless men obviously)

P.S. Adam, I'm the chap (Nick) who came over and said hi at Awesome.

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 02:57:51 pm
done.. just forwarded the thread..

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#24 Re: Extension to Stockport wall..
September 03, 2009, 03:16:04 pm
P.S. Adam, I'm the chap (Nick) who came over and said hi at Awesome.

Nice to meet you. :beer2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal