UKBouldering.com

Free standing campus board. (Read 6509 times)

jakjak

• regular
Free standing campus board.
September 02, 2009, 08:42:28 pm
So I'm going back to uni in a week or two and as thats in good ol flat norwich... I'm building me a campus board, as i rent its gotta be free standing and as ikea don't do a flatpack, its gonna be from scratch.

In terms of the frame (not the odd slanted rungs which i think look like a signed request for injury) i was going to go for something similar to this:

i say similar, theres alot of things about that design that are err... structurally deficient. so i think i've ironed out the obvious weaknesses.

anyway, i was just wondering if anyone else had tried a similar "piece of furniture" approach and how they'd done it. also what peoples views on rung spacing, overhang angle, height of first rung... specifications really. are. i know alots down to personal preference and there is alot of info on the sites of metolius and the like, but im not a rich kid so the more advice (from real climbers who arent trying to sell me a product) i get the better, cos i cant really afford to make a hash of it.  :boohoo:

i'd really 'preciate some wisdom basically  :bow:

galpinos

• forum hero

MikeNolan

#2 Re: Free standing campus board.
September 05, 2009, 06:16:26 pm
Could you ellaborate on the things you have "ironed out"?

I'm thinking about building the one in the video.

jakjak

• regular
#3 Re: Free standing campus board.
September 06, 2009, 01:18:28 am
well, i havn't started yet as i havnt headed back to the flat lands yet but.... so far, the alterations i'd planned were: in the A frames, not latticing the beams like this guy has, if the wood can sit flush, it should be a much stronger, so an offcut could sit in the gap rather than just laying the beams over eachother... not sure if that makes sense. or not, pictures would be easier.

next, also regarding the aframes, more coach bolts at each join would be required.

the board itself, instead of just being a square with the ply bolted to the front will have more cross bracing.

off he top of my head, thats i all i can rememeber (im not home at the moment so cant get at the drawings) but im hoping that these kinds of things will stop the whole concoction from swaying so much as the one in the video (its on a different video, but its the same guy)

oh and, mines going to be a little higher than this guys.

i'd like to say i hope all that helped, but... i dont think it was that helpful ::) but i'll be building it in two weeks or so, so pictures will follow if you feel like waiting that long... might be worth it to see where i go wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal